PDA

View Full Version : Nynja Wiring: Early Man discovers fire in Norfolk...

Riggers
30-10-14, 07:33 AM
I've now donned my leather apron, arc welding goggles, & rubber gauntlets, in preparation for doing the wiring the on the wundakite...

I'm told Tefzel cable is the way to go: anyone used it? It appears AWFULLY thin, for a given rating. The 18 AWG stuff, for example, rated at 16A current capacity, looks a bit like doorbell cable.... good for lightness, I suppose. Using the appropriate rating, it will supplement the standard Nynja loom, not replace it.

AndyBat
30-10-14, 08:57 AM
Just about to start wiring my Groppo Trail with 20 and 22awg for the light duty stuff. You are right it does look scarily thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob T
30-10-14, 09:25 AM
Phil, don't forget the Nyvin saga on the Harrier GR5. Nice thin and lightweight cable - caused many fires in the fuselage of the aircraft. I remember the months of stuctural repairs that me and my team ended up doing at Wittering after some of those fires.

Riggers
30-10-14, 09:44 AM
Bob: Ah, yes, the great Kapton wiring saga. <sigh>

No, it's OK: the Tefzel salesman here, assures me that 'lessons have been learned' & there'll be no problems, whatsoever....

Phil

Riggers
31-10-14, 18:53 PM
I spent a disorienting afternoon on my back in the rear fuselage, creating the ground plane for the radio antenna:

That done, I plotted the cable routes for both antennas, using strimmer cable:

11804 11805 11806 11807 11808

The slug tape groundplane idea is BRILLIANT - thanks again Bryan!

Tomorrow's task is to mock up the loom connecting the Radio & Transponder boxes to their controllers and the Garmin GPS, then the ancilliaries. I can then bunch the strimmer cables & label each one with its specification, including cable type & end connector, with orientation. So bunched, when it's removed, I can get the dimensions & even give it to the 'Loomerer' to 'make it so'. [Think Jean Luc Petard in Star Trek].

If only Scotty was around to factor in some dilithium crystals... <sigh>

Sounds good in theory, anyway!

Terry Viner
31-10-14, 19:38 PM
Seems such a lot of work for such a simple job.

Riggers
31-10-14, 19:48 PM
Seems such a lot of work for such a simple job.

Might be for you, Terry, just wish I could do it...

I bombed in of the last 2 Fly UKs I did, with radio failures, on 2 different installations.

CT Aviation
31-10-14, 19:58 PM
I can see why your radio never works, that piece of wire isn't connected properly ( and I'm sure coax would be better suited). :blonde:

Riggers
31-10-14, 21:19 PM
I can see why your radio never works, that piece of wire isn't connected properly ( and I'm sure coax would be better suited). :blonde:

Harrumph!

Mutter mutter. ... s' all smoke n' bl**dy mirrors, anyway...

MikeS
13-04-15, 12:14 PM
THanks for the images. I need to get into the back of mine before its finished and after idaes. Cheers Mike

Riggers
13-04-15, 13:42 PM
THanks for the images. I need to get into the back of mine before its finished and after idaes. Cheers Mike

You're welcome, Mike.

I think even Chris, at CT Aviation, enjoyed my patented Nynja rear maintenance platform. He reported it as the comfiest place he'd ever slept.

:-D

johnny3star
13-04-15, 16:42 PM
Useful reference site I found with lots of photos of various stages here:
http://scotthendry.com/Nynja_Build.htm

MikeS
30-04-15, 13:53 PM
Hi Jonny3star

I've been using his site as a source of how things can be done and he has been a great help over email as well. He has done some nice videos as well. I have some images of my progress on the local to me web site 'Recreational Flying forum'. Look under the thread for 'skyrangers' ; then look up the topic 'New nynja to the area'.

Cheers
Mike