PDA

View Full Version : NPPL or PPL / Re-registering a microlight

Max
31-05-09, 22:41 PM
Well i'm nearly 14 and it is time to start thinking about what training to start? NPPL for microlights or a PPL light aircraft?

The biggest factor is cost, NPPL 2200 PPL 8,000. BUT if I train to do my PPL on my own aircraft it is about 2100. So I have a few questions...

1. If i get a PPL can I fly a microlight under microlight laws e.g annual permit ect?

2. If I train to do my PPL and got a cheap 3-axis MICROLIGHT could it be re-registered to be a group A?

3. What license should I do any advice welcome, a reason for doing the PPL is I would very much like to do aerobatics and also go touring around europe with friends when I am old enough.

Thanks for any advice or answers to my question and Thank you to every one who has helped me on this forum in the past, without you guys my passion for flying wouldn't have been able to get of the ground!! Once I can fly I will come and meet you all and thank you personally for the help!!!

Max

Bob T
01-06-09, 00:07 AM
1. Not too sure about the UK rules now, but I thought that there was an NPPL group A as well as microlight.

2. Why would you? To increase the running costs of the aircraft? I don't think this can be done, but there are factory group A versions of some microlights available.

3. Aeros can get a bit boring after a while, the thrill lasted a couple of months after I got my PPL group A licence. There are many microlights capable of touring Europe with cruise speeds well above 100mph. Many group A pilots are turning to microlights to reduce costs while maintaining performance.

xair582
01-06-09, 01:45 AM
ok lets start at the begining 3 yrs ago in was in the same boat as u just turned 14 and wanted 2 fly so i got started on a cessena 150 for a trial lesson but far 2 much paper work 2 be honest a few weeks later went up in an ikarus c42 loved flying it a true joy bought an xair 582 when i was 15 for 7k needed sum work but low hours (there alot cheaper now) trained on that went solo at 16 and now im a big boy (17) flying everywhere with that little slip of paper they call ur license :D , rite enough on my life story ill try answer ure questions 1) u can fly a microlight on a nppl but it requires an extra rateing 2 ure liense 12 hours on microlights ever 2 yrs aswell as ure groupA hours 2 keep ure liecne valid. 2) some microlights can be registerd as groupA but i strongly wouldnt advise it ure just giving ureself more paper work and alot more hassel for nothing. 3) in my opinion u shud do the npplm (microlight) license aeros can be fun but u can have as much fun in a microlight trust me :wink: as for touring well u can get a pegasus ctsw which will cruise at 140 knots and take you and a pasenger 1000 miles non stop! so y bother with all the wasted money and time doing paper work with a groupA aircraft? stick 2 microlights there far more fun

Ginge
01-06-09, 09:25 AM
Hi Max, for details of conversions between the various types of NPPL look here

http://www.nppl.uk.com/

1) If by a PPL you mean an NPPL SSEA, no you would have to do conversion training

1a) Whether the aircraft can operate on a permit to fly or not is not afected by the pilots qualifications. As you know all microlights airworthiness is controled this way, as are many GA aircraft, kit builts and unsupported types mostly.

2)There are some "crossover types" like Streak Shadows and some marks of Kitfox for which this can be done but for most the answer would be not without considerable hassle. This is because they are certified to a different set of standards.

3)For what you are wanting the only licence that would answer is unfortunatly the most expensive that is the JAR PPL. However if you are willing to put the aeros on a backburner then the best you can do is a NPPL microlights. This is for 2 reasons, firstly that at most schools the hourly cost of lessons is lower (around this way micros 95- 110 per hour, GA 130-170 per hour) secondly your NPPL microlights will allow you to fly in europe whereas the NPPL SSEA will not.

I hope that helps a bit
Ginge

Well i'm nearly 14 and it is time to start thinking about what training to start? NPPL for microlights or a PPL light aircraft?

The biggest factor is cost, NPPL 2200 PPL 8,000. BUT if I train to do my PPL on my own aircraft it is about 2100. So I have a few questions...

1. If i get a PPL can I fly a microlight under microlight laws e.g annual permit ect?

2. If I train to do my PPL and got a cheap 3-axis MICROLIGHT could it be re-registered to be a group A?

3. What license should I do any advice welcome, a reason for doing the PPL is I would very much like to do aerobatics and also go touring around europe with friends when I am old enough.

Thanks for any advice or answers to my question and Thank you to every one who has helped me on this forum in the past, without you guys my passion for flying wouldn't have been able to get of the ground!! Once I can fly I will come and meet you all and thank you personally for the help!!!

Max

Condorman
02-06-09, 09:56 AM
Hi Max,
It all really depends where you want to go with it. If your thinking of a career as a Commercial Pilot then you will have to go through PPL/A training eventually unless your career goal extends only to becoming an instructor on Microlight's for example which wouldn't require a group A rating. If it's instrument and night flying your keen on possibly leading to a CPL and beyond then you wont be doing any of that in a microlight. If however it's sport flying your interested in (VMC only) then microlights should get you flying sooner and the pioneering edge of these amazing machines is enough to inspire anyone who was ever interested in flight. You can always convert up to a group A and beyond when your ready if that's how you wish to go however im sure most Micro Pilots would agree it's the best and arguably most affordable place to start.
I started on group A but after being made redundant a couple of times switched over after picking up "Propellerhead" by Anthony Woodward by chance at our local airport as i was tooling up with reading material for a long haul (Well worth a read, if only for a reference on how not to do it). It will certainly make you laugh out loud.

Regardless the financial outlay either way will be steep at 1st, just make sure you don't run out of funds mid flow and remember the weather in our country is fickle and you may have periods where progression is hindered by such, you may invariably end up spending more than you budgeted for on that coveted licence but in the end it's your wings and it's worth every cent.

It's impressive that you are able to even consider flying training at the age of 14, your definitely one of the very lucky ones, aim high and you wont be disappointed, if I could rewind 20 years id be aiming for that CPL / ATPL without a doubt (Has to beat sitting in an office all day).

Rgds.