PDA

View Full Version : Is £35000 a good price for a Skyranger?

adficio
13-03-15, 14:12 PM
Just spotted that the BMAA sponsorship Skyranger build is now up for sale, Is £35000.00 a realistic asking price?

I haven't seen any pictures posted anywhere of the Skyranger which doesn't help in getting a feel for the build quality or show the added extras ( if any ).

Maybe I am thinking back to my school years and seem to recall that in my last few years of school my Metalwork & Woodwork skills were only just acceptable to make a book rack and a hat stand, this does make me wonder whether I would trust a bunch of kids who are more content on bonking than they would be on building a plane?

Seriously I am not questioning the building of the Skyranger as I am sure it was mainly fabricated by adults.

Anyone care to comment on the Price asked.

Mick.

Rick Moss
13-03-15, 15:16 PM
Personally, I really think it depends on the engine fitted: if new, then yes, that doesn't seem to be an excessive figure for a brand new SKR; probably about what it would cost to build. It is in itself a fairly simple aircraft to build, and with BMAA oversight and inspection, I don't see why it would pose a problem. There is next to no fabrication involved... It's mainly just meccano assembly.

If it was fitted with a used engine, then no.

andy dixon
13-03-15, 19:07 PM
Buy a brand new "ready to fly" flexwing instead,much more fun

johnny3star
13-03-15, 20:50 PM
Itís a brand new X-lam Swift (1), fitted with a brand new 912s.
A few more details and build photos here;
http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=15&m=133709 (http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=15&m=133709)
£35k is a very reasonable asking price indeed, in my view.

JM G-CEZE

Riggers
13-03-15, 22:40 PM
... this does make me wonder whether I would trust a bunch of kids who are more content on bonking than they would be on building a plane?

Seriously I am not questioning the building of the Skyranger as I am sure it was mainly fabricated by adults.

Anyone care to comment on the Price asked.

Mick.

Mick,

If you don't trust 'em, then don't buy it... were I in the market, the age of the builders would barely rate for consideration, to me; rather, I'd be looking for quality of finish; provenance, (think documentation); test flight results. In short, objective measurements.

Ref the 'adults' bit: technical ability is NOT a function of age or intellect. Technical ability derives from enthusiasm, motivation, mechanical empathy, instinct/gut feel, professional standards, interpretation and to an extent at which I question it, maturity. I feel therefore that mapping of skill onto age is misplaced: hell's teeth, I'm proof of that!

As a younger feller, I trained RAF apprentices, (I was one meself). Some could just 'do' it from little more than 16 years of age. Some still couldn't 'do' it at 19, after several years of quality investment. After training, I noticed the phenomenon continued into adulthood. Some senior tradesmen were, to put it politely, best left to run their own race, whereas others, far junior, were pushed to overstretch due to their implicit talent. As an example, the absolute GURU on Whirlwind propulsion systems on my first squadron (202, at Leconfield), was a young, fresh-faced senior aircraftman, [one Johnny Bartlett, to name & praise him], aged about 20 and he was subtly managed to resolve the knottiest Sqn engine problems which arose, without putting anyone's nose out of joint.

The quality of the finished product lies not so much in the skills of the individuals, but rather in the supervision, coordination & management of the workforce team, to achieve the desired end. I have met & worked with many 'adults' who quite frankly spooked me. I've seen quite a few finished kit microlights whose finish gave me at least disappointment, if not concern. [ In fairness, my inspector is about to discover yet one more, in the one I've almost completed!] The ONLY saving grace is the governance put in place by the CAA & BMAA to protect us from ourselves.

In the case in question, I'll bet the level of governance was beyond that which even we must endure: in addition to to the official CAA stuff, these 'kids' will have had form teachers, head teachers, boards of governors and lastly, mums and dads, to convince that all was risk-assessed, vfm-justified, educationally relevant and 'on-message'. I'll bet Terry's real-world, (if earthy!) paternal influence came as a blessed relief!

Give 'em a break: within that 'slurry', you might just find a few gems, if you polish hard enough...

Riggers

Terry Viner
14-03-15, 00:04 AM
Ive got people already wanting it, Should have a deposit next week, because its new it has to be moved next week to my hangar to get the wings put back on then get its final inspection for engine runs and then the Test Flight.
I wll be posting the new pics after its been re assembled in couple of weeks.

TV

Randombloke
14-03-15, 11:48 AM
Just spotted that the BMAA sponsorship Skyranger build is now up for sale, Is £35000.00 a realistic asking price?

The answer will lie in how long it takes to sell. My guess is that Terry is already beating them off with a sh*tty stick.

So if it sells quickly, £35k is a realistic asking price.

Terry Viner
14-03-15, 13:19 PM
The answer will lie in how long it takes to sell. My guess is that Terry is already beating them off with a sh*tty stick.

So if it sells quickly, £35k is a realistic asking price.

Your dead on, 4 good enquiries so far and 2 really positive with one wanting to sell his, just to get this one,

Terry Viner
14-03-15, 13:47 PM
Plane Sold and a Check is on its way for it as I write this, Keep eyes on Afors as there will be a second hand Ranger for sale now,

Randombloke
14-03-15, 14:00 PM
Plane Sold and a Check is on its way for it as I write this, Keep eyes on Afors as there will be a second hand Ranger for sale now,

Your sh*tty stick isn't very good, I'll sell you a better one. ;-)

Well done because this project is a very serious investment in the pilots and members of the future.

Steady Eddie
14-03-15, 14:23 PM
Well done Terry.
you are to be congratulated as it takes a special kind of person to give freely of his time, expertise and no doubt
some money to help our young folk.
How did your trip to Lurgan go
Regards
Steady Eddie

Terry Viner
14-03-15, 16:27 PM
Hi Eddie, Had a fab time and the people down there are superb and extremly friendly. Thanks a lot.