PDA

View Full Version : Escapade or not?

scotlad2003
16-05-15, 11:52 AM
Hi there there is a nice looking escapade on afors a yellow one but....

Low hours meant its prob been sat around a while and also its been pranged before and had a repaired wing and landing gear where it connects to the fuselage.

Thing is I'm not sure i would feel comfortable flying around in something thats been extensively repaired.

If it were a car sure I've no problems but an a/c is a bit different right? not sure wether to go and look at it or not?

Any opinions gratefull.

Cheers

Roger Mole
16-05-15, 12:29 PM
Hi scotlad, it was only a ground loop, hardly a serious accident. Far worse damage than that described is regularly repaired on aircraft like this with no serious aftermath effects. Trigger's broom and all that. I'd say don't let it put you off. It's repairs to plastic aircraft that you need to be a bit wary of because they can often add a bit of weight.

scotlad2003
16-05-15, 13:08 PM
So you reckon its worth a proper look then roger? Its sounded like the whole wing was replaced or repaired which IMHO may have effected the joining/pivot points of where the wing folds/joins too the fuselage also the landing gear has been repaired and welded apparently where it joins the frame, this may or may not effect the strength of the whole thing.

I wouldn't mind sending an independent inspector to look at it for me if anyone has any suggestions.

Kenny

Not trying to upset anyone or indeed speculate on the repairs or anything i was just after some opinions

Roger Mole
16-05-15, 21:45 PM
Kenny, obviously I can't speak for this aircraft but because of the way most microlights (except plastic ones) are constructed, usually it's possible to strip back and replace any damaged/suspect parts so the repair is indistinguishable from new. Also an aircraft of this value would have been repaired under insurance and the repairer would therefore have been to a high level of competence and specially selected by the insurance company. Also add in the fact that it's had a couple of permit inspections and check flights in the meantime as well as having been carefully inspected and check flown post repair before having its permit revalidated and I'd say that there's little to worry about. And a ground loop hardly places much stress on the aircraft either unless it collides with something pretty hard as a result. So I'd say that it's worth a look but take a good look at the paperwork to see who did the repair, how much was replaced, that the engine was shock load tested and so on. Phone the repairer up - if the owner isn't concerned you probably don't need to be but still do it and ask their opinion. And if you are still interested, get someone who knows Escapades to come and have a second look with you. They're great aircraft, just ask Rick Moss who sold a Skyranger to buy one, and it'd be a shame for you to miss a good one if there's no reason to.

scotlad2003
16-05-15, 22:01 PM
Kenny, obviously I can't speak for this aircraft but because of the way most microlights (except plastic ones) are constructed, usually it's possible to strip back and replace any damaged/suspect parts so the repair is indistinguishable from new. Also an aircraft of this value would have been repaired under insurance and the repairer would therefore have been to a high level of competence and specially selected by the insurance company. Also add in the fact that it's had a couple of permit inspections and check flights in the meantime as well as having been carefully inspected and check flown post repair before having its permit revalidated and I'd say that there's little to worry about. And a ground loop hardly places much stress on the aircraft either unless it collides with something pretty hard as a result. So I'd say that it's worth a look but take a good look at the paperwork to see who did the repair, how much was replaced, that the engine was shock load tested and so on. Phone the repairer up - if the owner isn't concerned you probably don't need to be but still do it and ask their opinion. And if you are still interested, get someone who knows Escapades to come and have a second look with you. They're great aircraft, just ask Rick Moss who sold a Skyranger to buy one, and it'd be a shame for you to miss a good one if there's no reason to.

I have asked the owner for contact info of the people who repaired it so i am waiting on that info.

I think i will go and have a look at it but I definitely want someone who knows these to inspect it for me.

Hopefully will get down sometime this week either that or ask them to fly it up to me in scotland so i can have a proper look at it.

Cheers

Kenny

scotlad2003
16-05-15, 22:02 PM
Thanks for the input roger. appreciate it.

scotlad2003
19-08-15, 23:48 PM
just a small update!!

I bought the escapade and i'm loving it!!

great plane to fly and easy to ground handle and just about got the hang of the tail dragger swinging about at high speed on landing roll.

TwoDogs
20-08-15, 11:50 AM
just a small update!!

I bought the escapade and i'm loving it!!

great plane to fly and easy to ground handle and just about got the hang of the tail dragger swinging about at high speed on landing roll.

I see from your other thread that you went to Baxby so I'm putting two and two together and assuming that this was Morris's yellow escapade. I don't think you'll go far wrong with that, what morris doesn't know about microlights isn't worth knowing and you can be sure that his own aircraft was maintained to the highest standard - he pretty much lives at the airfield so anything that needed doing got done. I'm sure you won't regret it, hope you have lots of fun.