PDA

View Full Version : Grease to use on front wheel leg guides of Nynjas or Skyrangers..

MikeS
18-06-16, 17:57 PM
Hi I am about to regrease the front nose wheel leg guide. What is the better grease to use for this. Is the dry lube type of grease stick better or another type. Also has anyone fitted a gease nipple to the upper tube to allow regreasing with a gease gun? Thanks Mike

Paul Dewhurst
19-06-16, 17:19 PM
Hi I am about to regrease the front nose wheel leg guide. What is the better grease to use for this. Is the dry lube type of grease stick better or another type. Also has anyone fitted a gease nipple to the upper tube to allow regreasing with a gease gun? Thanks Mike

We just use normal multi purpose grease.

Grease nipples on upper and lower guides would make the job easier for sure.

paul

MikeS
20-06-16, 11:35 AM
Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. I have planned to drill a small pilot hole in the outer tube and then make it a little larger, 4mm. Then get a s/s hose clamp and silver solder a short piece of brass rod, 8mm dia by 3mm long and tap a thread for a grease nipple. I plan to have the bottom of the grease nipple protrude beyond the inside of the s/s hose clip a little, say 0.5mm so that it will locate at the hole penetration in the air frame tube that the nose wheel leg fits into, that way when I tighten the s/s hose clamp it won't move away from the hole. I'll also fit a thin piece of gasket material to the hose clamp with a hole at the grease nipple area so that the setup seals and does not allow grease inside on the cockpit side.

If the above sounds right would I be best to place a grease nipple about 1/3 the way up on one side and near the top of the tube on the other side.

Regards
Mike

Paul Dewhurst
20-06-16, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a reasonable plan. It might be possible with care to tap the holes in the guides and screw the nipples straight in - but it might be tricky with only 1.5 mm to play with. I guess ideally a threaded boss welded on the side would be optimum - but your method is a lot easier for a less invasive mod.

regards
paul

MikeS
20-06-16, 13:10 PM
Hi Paul Thanks for your comments. I'll make up two items and fit one first as a trial. When done I'll send over some images for your info. I find the Nynja a great plane to fly. As they are not factory built they cannot be used for initial training in Australia due to the regulation over here that requires only factory built as training aircraft. Big same as it would be good for trainee and other pilots to experience the Nynja and other Skyranger flight handling and performance. It's great how your rules apply and they are used as training aircraft. Regards Mike

Paul Dewhurst
20-06-16, 14:47 PM
Hi Paul Thanks for your comments. I'll make up two items and fit one first as a trial. When done I'll send over some images for your info. I find the Nynja a great plane to fly. As they are not factory built they cannot be used for initial training in Australia due to the regulation over here that requires only factory built as training aircraft. Big same as it would be good for trainee and other pilots to experience the Nynja and other Skyranger flight handling and performance. It's great how your rules apply and they are used as training aircraft. Regards Mike

Hi Mike

our rules led prevent us using homebuilt aircraft for flight schools too :( - but we hope to be able to provide them ready built under UK A8-1 approval before too long..

paul