PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Microlights

andyg176
30-08-09, 10:27 AM
How about a section for vintage aircraft like ,need I say, the Pathfinder and the Goldwing.

andy G

xair582
31-08-09, 02:11 AM
ill 2nd that idea im tryn 2 get my hands on a pathfinder and will want info in the future

andyg176
31-08-09, 10:08 AM
If you need pathfinder info just post on this topic. I'm listed as the Pathfinder "godfather" by the BMAA.
Now for the disclaimer, as a result of the G-STYX accident, I am not responsible for the accuracy of any airworthiness info and any work carried should be checked by a qualified inspector or engineer. Despite this, I have owned one since 1990, although it's in storage since 2006. they're good microlights and are great for nice summer evenings or still winter's morning.
Looking at your details, there are at least 4 pathfinders in Eire.

Andy G

Ginge
31-08-09, 17:40 PM
If anyone is interested I know of a Quicksilver project that could be interesting. As far as I know is an MX11 that is lurking awaiting restoration in the almost traditional back of a barn. As you may know these are still in production in the States so parts should not be a problem. I'm told that it has a Cuyuna engine and these, although out of production, seem to be supported for spare parts.
If anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll send a contact phone number
Ginge

bri663
02-09-09, 17:24 PM
A couple of guys in Strathaven are hopeing to get a Goldwing back in the air working over this winter......whatever one of them is??? :D

andyg176
02-09-09, 22:16 PM
A goldwing is an early 80's canard design a bit like a chunky single seat Rutan Varieze. lighter and slower. The design was well ahead of it's day, and would/will turn heads today.

Andy G

Ginge
03-09-09, 19:51 PM
I don't know how many Goldwings there are still flying, the last one that I saw was about two years ago. That was flown by a guy from Norfolk into the Country Fair/ Airshow/ flyin at Rougham, I was behind him in the circuit , a beautiful sight what a classic shape. I think that one was powered by a Robin 440
Ginge

andyg176
03-09-09, 20:23 PM
If it was orange, it could well have been BZH, whose picture appears when even a goldwing picture is needed for any book etc, that was sold on ebay last year and went to Scotland I think.

Andy G

bri663
03-09-09, 20:54 PM
Haven't noticed the registration and it's a kind of primer yellow colour, but one of the guys involved is Brian Harrison who owned the factory in East Kilbride where they were made under licence.

Ginge
04-09-09, 10:11 AM
I have added a couple of Goldwing pictures to the Gallery, one is the first one that I ever saw, at Orset in the early eighties and last that I have seen, just a couple of years ago at Rougham

Ginge

andyg176
04-09-09, 19:10 PM
I spoke to Mikey G last night. He's down the strip tommorrow (Sat) pm, weather permitting,so I will be down there with the goldwing, can you make it then?

Andy G

bri663
04-09-09, 22:34 PM
Great pics Ginge, I'm amazed that the pile o bits at the back of the hanger will look as good as that :lol:

xair582
04-09-09, 22:37 PM
can any1 give me an idea of a price for restoring a pathfinde?r i know of one in a shed not far from me its only flwon 10 hours in its life but has been in storage for a long time it has a robin 440 engine

andyg176
05-09-09, 08:38 AM
Nice pictures, Ginge. WL is now in the norfolk and Suffolk aircraft museum, and the one flying is DG. Which should be returning to the air in the near future.
In answer to Xair582, a lot depends on the sail. Clive Betts is still about, I think, and will want about 1500 or more for a full set. Robin spares are about, and Polairs France have supplied me in the past. If it has a vee belt reduction, change it for toothed belt. alternatively fit a 447, but you need a GSC prop. The other thing to do if it's still original, is replace most if not all bolts. Huntair drilled 1/4 holes and fitted 6mm bolts for easy, and only 3 grip lenghts. If it's going cheap it's a good buy. One thing you MUST check is the fusalage tube just behind the front spar attachments. The aileron pulley crush the tube when the wings are folded fully back. If it has a one piece sail, get it cut down the middle and zips fitted. That's how Haze Sails made theirs, and it makes derigging easier. If you go for a new set, ask Clive to do it. any more info, post it here or give me a call, Al Payne at Deddington has my number and i'm always ready for a chat.

Andy G

Ginge
05-09-09, 09:35 AM
I spoke to Mikey G last night. He's down the strip tommorrow (Sat) pm, weather permitting,so I will be down there with the goldwing, can you make it then?

Andy G

Working at North Weald today (Sat) Andy, good luck with the inspection

Ginge

andyg176
05-09-09, 09:40 AM
It's still blowing some down here at Southend, so it might be a no show not a no go
have you got a hanger at Nth Weald? there's a final weight and balance check (more accurate) where you dangle the goldwing from a main spar hang point and weight the nose wheel, full fuel, porky pete wedged in the seat and a packet of sannies.

Andy g

Ginge
05-09-09, 09:46 AM
can any1 give me an idea of a price for restoring a pathfinde?r i know of one in a shed not far from me its only flwon 10 hours in its life but has been in storage for a long time it has a robin 440 engine
To make sure that it is a Pathfinder 1 would be a good idea, as I believe that Pathfinder 2s were grounded so the route to getting one airworthy would not be easy. It is easy to tell the difference as the 2 has a single tube to support the wing while the 1 has two tubes. If I can track them down I'll post a picture of each
Ginge

edited to add
Found em, it reminded me that the 2 also had a raked tail
g

Ginge
05-09-09, 09:49 AM
It's still blowing some down here at Southend, so it might be a no show not a no go
have you got a hanger at Nth Weald? there's a final weight and balance check (more accurate) where you dangle the goldwing from a main spar hang point and weight the nose wheel, full fuel, porky pete wedged in the seat and a packet of sannies.

Andy g
'Fraid not Andy we are on outside tiedowns at NWA and Jenkins
Ginge

Ginge
06-09-09, 10:03 AM

Andy g

How did you get on Andy, are the skies of Essex about to be improved by a Goldwing?
Ginge

andyg176
06-09-09, 15:39 PM
Long story, the goldwing is kept along my mothers place outside Rochford, there was a FIVE mile tail back to Hockley, all because the local hardware store right on the cross road was having a BBQ, ON THE BLOODY PAVEMENT. Trailer light board didn't work, no left turn. Finally got down there and he had GONE.It wasn't flyable weather so he didn't wait around. P****d OFF BIG TIME. Whole day wasted, could have done more patching on wings, got a couple of scrap cars collected, NO, wasted my time instead.

BLOOD IS BOILING. Thank you for asking anyway.

Andy G

Ginge
06-09-09, 18:43 PM
Ye gods that's a fair queue of some burnt bangers, infuriating when you've somewhere to go.
I'm sure that you'll get there though. I was down at Rayne today feeling dog rough, so I just got to join in the mickey taking and help a guy put the wings on his EAA Biplane. I made me itch to get back to my Tiger Cub although I doubt I'll have the time much before winter at best.
Good luck mate keep us updated how you get on
Ginge

andyg176
06-09-09, 19:17 PM
Ginge, have you got access to a lathe? since Bernie's been gone I haven't got easy access to machining.
I'm still trying to get over the wheel problem, ie buying500 x 100 tyres and inner tubes for burrow wheels. If i can get a couple of axle stubs made up i can use nylite wheels, which are a lot lighter than these ones I've got at the moment. I've got the material as I don't need reduction drives these days.

Andy G

Ginge
07-09-09, 08:45 AM
I'll have a word with Big Rob, I think that he may have access to that sort of thing. If not I'll try our club members

Ginge

Ginge
19-09-09, 20:01 PM
Tiger Cub project wanted!
The title says it all really, I have been contacted by a man seeking a Tiger Cub either complete or a viable project. If anybody knows of such a thing I will be pleased to put you in touch

Ginge

andyg176
20-09-09, 10:11 AM
Ginge,
There was one in the BMAA's classified last year, it's still listed so I guess it could be still unsold.

Andy G

Ginge
21-09-09, 18:10 PM
Thanks Andy, I'll pass that on
Ginge

Ginge
31-10-09, 11:04 AM
ill 2nd that idea im tryn 2 get my hands on a pathfinder and will want info in the future

I don't know if you had noticed but there is a Pathfinder 1 that is a flier available on AFORS

Ginge

Ginge
31-10-09, 11:07 AM
Also on AFORS there is a Quicksilver Mk1 available for "offers" that might well make a sub 115 project. I'm tempted but I'm told that I have enough aircraft at the moment :cry:

Ginge

andyg176
31-10-09, 11:46 AM
The MX looks tempting, but I too have one too many microlights. Have you seen the price they want for the pathfinder? 3900! OK it's got a 447 on the back, so has OC ( if I fit the right prop ) and I've got a pod. Oh well back to instrument panel #6 for the goldwing.

Andy G

Jeremy
31-10-09, 18:49 PM
What would be really nice would be a Quicksilver that was easy to rig (they are a bit of a pain to put together) and fitted with a nice, quiet four stroke. I think the single seat Quicksilver would probably fly on the Bailey 4 stroke paramotor unit.

I can think of nothing nicer for pottering about on a calm Summers evening. The Quicksilver was OK, but incredibly noisy (your head is inches in front of the engine - tip your head back and your helmet touched the Rotax fan case on my old two seat one).

Pity it's a bit costly as a fair weather toy, although I have to say I'm tempted...............

Jeremy

andyg176
31-10-09, 19:35 PM
remember Jeremy, it's SSDR, no section S to worry about. The latest MX2s and I guess MX1s have their engine upright and at the rear of the wing. No extension shaft and no engine to bang your head on.

Andy G

Jeremy
31-10-09, 20:08 PM
I know it's dereg, Andy, in fact the MXII I used to own wasn't far off being SSDR compliant. Even though it was a two seater it's empty weight wasn't that much over the SSDR limit, mine was around 135kg I think, even with a 503.

I'd only have another fun machine like this if it was cheap enough to be a fair weather toy. I don't think I could justify spending loads on a Bailey engine etc for something that would be limited to a couple of dozen quiet evenings a year.

It'd be like the MXII, I think, limited to times when the wind is less than about 5mph ( I flew the MXII in a 15mph wind once, it was almost going backwards on the approach..........).

Regards,

Jeremy

Ginge
12-11-09, 13:14 PM
Maybe a test bed for your electic motor Jeremy?

Ginge

xair582
13-11-09, 22:00 PM
i may be geting my hands on a pathfinder mk1 with near perfect sails and a robin 330 for verry little a mate of mine wants rid of it from his hanger where it has sat riged and been run but not flown for the past couple of years. anyone got an data on the pathfinder such as take off and landing roll with this engine? can it be deregulated? would there be any point fitting a rotax 447? any flying tips for this ac?

andyg176
13-11-09, 22:38 PM
What do you want to know Xair? I'm the Pathfinder godfather.
Fitting the 447 gives you the extra power and parts avaibility. The GSC prop puts up the price a bit, but take off performance is great. Give me a call on a landline.
http://www.bmaa.org/techdocs.asp?Docume ... %28TILs%29 (http://www.bmaa.org/techdocs.asp?DocumentTypeID=1&DocumentType=Technical+Information+Leaflets+%28TILs%29)
this links to the BMAA godfather list, look me up

andy G

xair582
14-11-09, 11:44 AM
will do when back in the uk currently home from uni for the weekend in southern ireland. my main question is can it be deregulated? because ive read that the empty weight of most is around the 150 kg mark is that right ?

andyg176
14-11-09, 18:47 PM
My one when it had a 330, but with electric start, but no pod was 143kgs. that is about the norm.
As to SSDRing it, you got to lose 30kgs, I've thought about it, the wing area can be reduced, so the span can be reduced by one inbound batten, and the same amount off the fusalage. If the undercart was changed to a fixed glass fibre/ carbon fibre rod with a vertical limit wire and an antidrag wire, you could save maybe 10 kgs. That's where I got to before I brought my goldwing. There in lays the possible answer. It has a Konig sc430 engine, all the paperwork says the complete powerpack is only 16kgs, the Robin is at least 35kgs plus. Do I or you want to cut up a perfectly good aeroplane on the hope that it might be SSDR, and what about flight testing it? The answer to the last could end up in the scarest thing I did thread.

Andy G

xair582
14-11-09, 19:08 PM
theres my problem now i was hopeing to get my hands on it as ssdr. how much is it to permit a single seat? this pathfinder was what made me want to buy a microlight so i kind of have my heart set on geting it air worthy some how

andyg176
14-11-09, 19:46 PM
I think the BMAA still only want 5 for a permit renewal on an "old" aeroplane whose permit has lasped for more than 5 years ago.

Andy G

xair582
14-11-09, 20:55 PM
sounds sweet but i still have the 100 pound inspection and check flight plus the other stuff as usual 2 or is it different for old microlights?

andyg176
14-11-09, 21:24 PM
what are the regs south of the border? Could you register EI and fly it there. Two pathfinders from around here ended up in Eire.

Andy G

xair582
14-11-09, 21:59 PM
well there is two in the hangers at lk both damaged in a storm one has a damaged wing the other a damaged tail boom. and theres one in a shed about 10 miles away that has only flown 10 hours in its life and will prob never fly again its the 440 version and another about 20 miles in a shed that mite fly with sum work. then theres the one im hopeing to get in flying condition just out of permit. the rules in the south are the same as the uk for dereg and such

andyg176
15-11-09, 09:39 AM
Buy the lot, the two damaged ones could be cut up to try to SSDR the Pathfinder. The 440 is more powerful than the 447 and no modification is needed. Both of the ones that left Essex for Ireland had pods and were 440's. they are worth fitting if weight is not a problem ie not SSDR, and add 10mph to cruise speed.

Andy G

xair582
15-11-09, 15:20 PM
how much would you say i offer for the 2 damaged ones? the one with the 440 sitting in the shed it hasnt run in 15-20 years? and the other lying up for a long time to? i think they all have pods i know 3 of them do anyway.

andyg176
15-11-09, 19:25 PM
Good question, I just ask how much ? but for four aircraft, as much or as little as you can afford.
All they are at the moment is scrap, the engines will need a strip down.
Hard call.

Andy G

xair582
15-11-09, 20:17 PM
i was going to try and get them for a couple of hundred each would that be a sensible offer ?