PDA

View Full Version : £12 CamCorder

Max
13-01-10, 19:40 PM
For Christmas I got a New camera - a hybrid between a DSLR and a compact, It is very good but runs on AA batteries which for filming arn't very good. So I had a look on eBay at camcorder's and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400085563850

Its a £12 mini camcorder (FREE P & P) - It records directly onto micro SD cards of upto 8gb (I have one for my phone already, they can be bought for around £15-£20) Which gives 4 hours and 40 Minutes of recording. It comes with different mount's (Clip on clothing, and screw in / cable tie fasted one) I have bought it for a holiday I am going on to China, But I think it will also be very good for flying.

Hopefully if it arrives before next Wednesday I will be able to put some flying video up, as Im going up in a Grob Tutor. I will post a video of it up to show quality ect. If it is any good I may ask the seller if he would do a bulk buy discount, so if anyone would be interested in one I could probably get them for £10 a pop!

They can come in Green / Red / Black / Orange, oh and for Bob T and our other foreign friends they do Australian, UK and European plugs!

Max

Jeremy
13-01-10, 20:08 PM
I bought a very similar spec key ring camera before Christmas (this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Remote-Shape-Key-Ring-Keychain-Spy-Camera-DVR-ESC1B_W0QQitemZ260535618722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Security_Equipment?hash=item3ca9220ca2 ) and it performs extremely well indeed, especially for the price.

The slightly bigger one you've ordered is at least as good, from what I've heard, certainly they are remarkably good for the money.

Jeremy

xair582
13-01-10, 20:54 PM
Thats the same little camera i use there an amassing little bit of kit and record quite good quality. johnkil uses one as well thats what he took his snow flight video with. although i got mine from a uk supplier for £22.00 which included next day delivery post.

jonkil
13-01-10, 23:00 PM
Yes indeed, excellent little unit... good video quality.

Max
13-01-10, 23:27 PM
Jonkil - How do you attach it to your C42? Is it with the Screw / Cable tie mount? Cable Tied onto the tailplane struts?

xair582 - How / where do you attach your camera?

Jeremy - Hmmm who could you be spying on :P - The keyring camera looks good :) and if my currency conversions are correct I think about £10 - not bad if you need to spy on someone :) or for what ever other reasons! It is always a risk when ordering from chinese supplies - I ordered some webbing for night ex's from a company in china, said it would be here in a week for a camp I was going on but hey - a month later it turned up in it's cra**y quality state. (It has steel cable for holding bit's on - goes inside the jacket and isnt attached to anything so low and behold it comes out when 'diving' for cover. but it was only £30 instead of the Viper alternative of £130!)

Max

xair582
14-01-10, 18:06 PM
Max i use my one with one of the mounts supplied cable tied to my head set see the video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFN-mGtmmk

I also use i on one of my models held on with rubber bands see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KygsNW8KZKY

MadamBreakneck
14-01-10, 18:20 PM
Jonkil - How do you attach it to your C42? Is it with the Screw / Cable tie mount? Cable Tied onto the tailplane struts?

xair582 - How / where do you attach your camera?
[snip]

Even if you decide not to do it officially, there's some useful technical advice in this from the BMAA (http://www.bmaa.org/upload/techdocs/017.pdf).

have fun
Joan
:smurf:

PS. before you go into the traditional tizzy about BMAA advice, remember that the document I link to is generic - so has to cater for people wanting to fit broadcast quality video cameras as well as people wanting to mount modern tiny stuff. Use some common sense, eh, chaps, before you whinge. ta very.
:-)

meggark
14-01-10, 18:32 PM
Looks like a good wee unit, could be ideal for mounting on the wing. I might get one myself.

martin sanderson
14-01-10, 18:47 PM
hi are the vid clips from the 12 pound camcorder ?

xair582
14-01-10, 18:50 PM
yes they are both from the £12 camcorder

watchboss1
14-01-10, 19:14 PM
A friend of mine in Ireland told me that several of the pilots at Letterkenny had bought this camera, and I thought it would be very poor reproduction for the price.

How wrong I was. I watched the video taken from the X-Air and went straight to Ebay and ordered one.

Excellent results and value !

Clive.

Frank Thorne
14-01-10, 20:42 PM
Truly amazing results. I was impressed with how it copes with the bright snow and for the price is pretty good even at full frame.

Must go and have a play with one.

martin sanderson
14-01-10, 21:23 PM
am sold i will have to get one for that price and the image is good i did not think it would be that good

xair582
14-01-10, 21:33 PM
amassing little bits of kit you can put them anywhere and they will record for about 2 hours on a full battery

Tyke Pilot
14-01-10, 23:36 PM
I got one from ebay, arrival is immenent according to an email I recieved this morning, watch this space

VinceG
15-01-10, 11:30 AM
Do they have a standard bolt hole fitting?

jonkil
17-01-10, 10:50 AM
No Vince, they do come with an assortment of fitting brackets etc.
They are quite handy, tiny and good quality.
The video I put up is not good quality because the clip was long, I edited it on Windows movie maker, shrunk it down to about 7 meg so that had effects on the quality.
Pic attached how I put it on the C42, it is simply a cable tie around the strobe with steel wool behind to allow the angle to be correct.

martin sanderson
19-01-10, 20:01 PM
i dont think thay are mud proof Vince,

watchboss1
29-01-10, 17:14 PM
Just received my mini camcorder from China ( £12 ). Trouble is that there are no instructions with it.
I got all different fittings and a usb connector / charger, but nothing other than what's on the box to say how to work it !

Can someone please run me through what the buttons on it do ?

There's a mode button, but what are the modes, and how do I know which one is selected ?

Someone help please ?

Confused of Sussex.

Max
29-01-10, 18:42 PM
Same Problem watchboss 1, the CD doesn't work in my Vista machine and my mac has a slot loading so I cant put 1/2 sized disc in it.

I'm going to email the seller, ask him / sher to send me instructions - If I get them I will put them up on here or paypal may be hearing from me :)

Max

bri663
31-01-10, 18:47 PM
Got mine as well and the disc doesn't work in windaes 7, but have managed to work out that to get it to talk to a computer it needs the memory micro sd card in. Press power button quickly and you'll see a iccle blue led come up on the top and a red led flash and stuff then then go off, that's you in standby.

Press the mode switch and the red led flashes about once a second , that's you in standby and voice activation ready, if you speak or background noise is above 60 decibels it starts to record,

Confusing bit now as when it is recording the flashing red light lets you know by flashing about twice as fast, so is it on standby or recording?? Anyway press the mode button and it goes back to normal standby blue led only. Press the wee record button on the top ( grey semi circle) and when recording it is blue with fast flashing red. Press record again to switch off recording. To power off press and hold power for 3 seconds.

I have found that once the card memory is full it will auto power off, also if left on for a while and no recording done it switches off also but not sure how long it waits.

Simples!!!

Max
31-01-10, 19:31 PM
i emailed the seller, he sent me a copy of whats on the disk:

MINI DV –MD80
User Manual

Thank you for purchasing MINI DV—MD800. It has adopted unique ultra-portable design, which makes it apply to every area. MINI DV—MD800 brings more convenience, safety and funs to your daily life.

I Characters of Product
 It has small contour design, which does UV spray finishing for the whole body. It is very fashionable and wearable and matches with all kinds of portable tools.
 Support PC camera and chatting function.
 Support AVI video format.
 It can carry out high definition image recording under low illumination.
 Support 30 fps for 720*480 and 320*240 video shoot and output.
 Support USB1.1 and USB2.0.
 Support 8GB T-flash card.(maximum)
 Build-in lithium battery which can make a video more than two hours, the standby time is up to 250 hours.

II Operation Guide

1. Charge
The battery is built-in lithium rechargeable battery, so when you use it the first time, please charge firstly. The method for charging as following:
1.) Connect computer: use USB cable to connect the computer, then it can be charged.
2.) Use adaptor: connect charger plug with USB cable, then plug into electrical connector receptacle, it can be charged.
When you charge it, green light and red light will bright simultaneously, of which states are stillness.

Notice: when battery power is not enough, D001 will enter into protection mode, so it cannot be turn on. Now, please charge for it.

2. Power on to video

Press Power button slightly, yellow indicator light begins to bright, now it enters into startup ready mode, which can enter into standby mode quickly. Press Record / Stop button slightly, yellow indicator light begins to bright, red indicator light starts to flash slowly. At this time, it begins to make a video. The resolution for video file is 720*480, and frame number is 29--30fps/S. Then short press Record / Stop button, video is stopped and saved automatically. After saving the red indicator light remains light. If you need to continue to video, please press Record / Stop button slightly once more.

Notice:
a. Please make sure T-flash (Micro SD) card has been inserted, if not, it will be power off automatically after 30 seconds.
b. The maximum capacity of T-flash card is 16GB.
c. Saving file needs certain time, so please don’t press Operation button continuously in order to avoid saving unsmoothly and generating incomplete file.
d. When you make a video, please focus on the object and keep 50cm under sufficient illumination. Then the video will be right, natural color, clear and stable.

3. Sound control video (optional)

Press Power button slightly, yellow indicator light begins to bright, now it enters into startup ready mode, which can enter into standby mode quickly. At that time, press MODE button slightly, and then you can switch into sound control video mode. Now yellow indicator light always brights, red indicator light flash quickly (indicate sound control standby mode). When decibel of video is more than 60, then it will be video automatically. At the moment, yellow indicator light always brights, red indicator light flash slowly. (Indicate under sound control video)
When sound control starts, the shortest shoot time is 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, if there is no any sound, D001 will save file automatically and switch into standby mode. If there still has sound after 2 minutes, D001 will continue to shoot.

4.Time set
There is a CD with the product which contains a file named time synchronization file. Please copy it to TF card. When connect MD800 with computer, whose time will be displayed with computer synchronously.
The detail as following:
1. build a text called TAG.TXT under root directory of card.
2. open TAG.TXT,write synchronous date according to enclosure stricktly.
Details as following:
[date] need space with newline
2009/07/22 need space with newline
12:00:00
Power on the machine everytime, system will check and analyse TAG.TXT, then set system time according to file time. After that the text will be deleted by system automatically.

5.Power off
Under video mode or standby mode, please long press Power button 3 seconds, then release till indicator goes out. Then the machine is turned off.

6. Auto-power off function
MINI DV will save file and turn off automatically as following:
a. When you shoot video without enough power, file will be saved automatically, then auto-power off.
b. When disk space of MINI DV is not enoughn, after indicator goes out immediately, file will be saved automatically then auto-power off.
c. Under standby mode, without any operation in 45 seconds, it will be auto-power off.

7.Connecting computer
It can connects computer under power off mode, standby mode or video mode, after that which can be used as U disk, who can copy, cut and paste, delete file.
When you connect it with USB port, a portable disk mark will be seen after several seconds. Red indicator light always brights, yellow indicator light will be from flashed quickly to always brights.

Notice:
a. When you connect computer, if the machine cannot be identified, or not see the portable U disk mark in 30 seconds, please insert it again.
b. It is better copy or cut video file into computer hardware then play. Video file which is saved in the machine is played directly will cause unsmooth play, the reason is that gigantic data cannot be transmitted synchronously.

8 PC Camera
When you first use PC camera, please install driver. The driver name is SPCA1528_V2220_M…Setup.exe, which is placed in attached CD. When you install please double press this document, and as per guide to do. After that there will be an AMCAP icon on the computer desk.
Under power off or power on mode, use USB cable to connect computer, the mode is U disk mode. Then short press MODE button, at this moment it can be switched into PC camera mode. Then double press AMCAP icon can be used as PC camera.

9.Reset
When machine works abnormal for illegal operation or other unknown reasons, it needs to be reset.
The specific operation method as following:
Use slim pole to press the Reset button, and then finish one reset operation.

10. Notice
Suitable using situation: Please follow State's law. Do not use it illegally.
Software upgrade: In order to make products have more function, manufacturer will perfect product software continuously. This product is convenient for customer to upgrade by themselves, so please contact with local retailer for the latest software information and upgrade method
Work temperature: Please use it under normal temperature and avoid using under unsuitable body temperature.
Work humidity: Please use it under agreeable human atmosphere humidity, Please not to make product wet or expose in rain for which without waterproop function.
Shooting illumination: Please use it under enough light sources; do not aim the camera at the sun and other strong light sources in order not to damage optical parts of an apparatus.
Cleaning requirements: Please not use the product under too large dust density atmosphere so as not to affect video effects for tainted lens and other parts.
Waste treatment: Please pay attention to protect environment, not to throw the product optionally. In order to avoid explosion, please not throw product into fire.

I've made a sample video of around home - the camera is good and for £12 the quality is fantastic!

Thanks Max

watchboss1
02-02-10, 12:24 PM
Well done chaps ! Thanks for helping all of us who have bought one of these cams.

I have yet to buy a Mini SD card, but now I can work the blasted thing I can start having some fun with it !

Cheers,

Clive.

TREV BAILEY
02-02-10, 16:54 PM
Hi Guys, my mini video camera arrived today the wife didn't believe me when I told her it was only £11.99, I had to show her the paypal receipt....can't wait to get home and try it out.

Trev

bri663
02-02-10, 22:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRM74hmoNOU

Don't go by time and date no idea how to get rid of that but video taken 16:00 last Saturday night. Falcon's last landing before heading off to a new home Sunday morning. Video taken by miniDV 80

geejay
03-02-10, 09:18 AM
can't see anything on your post regarding a video..

bri663
03-02-10, 16:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRM74hmoNOU

I'll try again?

VinceG
03-02-10, 17:11 PM
All I'll say is that I'm glad it's youtubes bandwidth and not mine.

There's going to be a plethora of microlight video's on here shortly. I've just ordered one of those cameras. If I'm impressed as I think I will be then I might order a couple more and have them all over the plane so I can merge and edit it all later.

TREV BAILEY
03-02-10, 17:13 PM
Hi Guys, these are great fun, the instructions helped (yeh right!!!) the yellow light is blue on mine (maybe something got lost in the translation from Chinese) but it is so discrete you could mistake it for a bluetooth headset, can't wait to get it up in the air.

Safe landings

Trev

watchboss1
03-02-10, 18:46 PM
Yeah same here Trev,

Red and blue LED's. No yellow one.

Yesterday I ordered an SD card from ebay. I should have it all ready to rock and roll by the time the rain stops..............If it stops !

Cheers,

Clive.

VinceG
03-02-10, 18:52 PM
Hope that was a micro SD card that you ordered there Clive.

watchboss1
03-02-10, 19:06 PM
Hi Vince,

Yeah, I sent for the 8GB micro SD with an adaptor which brings it up to normal size so I can plug it into the reader on my PC.
I looked at all the options, then thought if I get the 8GB it will never run out of memory before the battery goes flat !

You're right about the plethora of videos. I think everyone who hears about this little cam is buying one. It's almost the 'must have' piece of kit for the discerning pilot !

Cheers,

Clive.

TREV BAILEY
04-02-10, 09:43 AM
Hi All, have tried it out at work.....fantastic

Trev

Kestutis
04-02-10, 09:55 AM
Hi all, how possibly could I get one of those ???? Any on-line shop ???

Thanks for advice :)

TREV BAILEY
04-02-10, 15:29 PM
Hi Clive, you don't need an adapter, when you plug the camera into the computer via the cable yoyr computer sees it as another hard drive just click and its open....simples

Trev

VinceG
04-02-10, 16:00 PM
Hi Vince,

Yeah, I sent for the 8GB micro SD with an adaptor which brings it up to normal size so I can plug it into the reader on my PC.
I looked at all the options, then thought if I get the 8GB it will never run out of memory before the battery goes flat !

You're right about the plethora of videos. I think everyone who hears about this little cam is buying one. It's almost the 'must have' piece of kit for the discerning pilot !

Cheers,

Clive.

No, it's just that you lot are practicing to be Yorkshiremen. It's a Video Camera for 12 quid and you are just thinking, I've got to have one of those.

How much, £12.00 you robbing git... I'll give you 8 and stand being robbed. I dunno, you should be wearing a three pointed hat... Dick Turpin wasn't such a robbing get as you. Where's Black Bess?

There you go, a quick lesson in Yorkshire tightness.

Now I wonder if I can peel this orange in my pocket without the wife noticing and wanting a piece??? Probably.

watchboss1
04-02-10, 16:08 PM
Trev,

I wasn't thinking when I wrote about the adaptor. I knew I could connect the cam via the usb.

Must have been a senior moment !

Clive.

TREV BAILEY
04-02-10, 16:30 PM
Hi Clive, I don't know how to get rid of the date though..any thoughts? mind you I never did try to play the cd that came with it.....I too have those senior moments...hang on I am a senior some say old git.

Safe landings

Trev

watchboss1
04-02-10, 17:03 PM
Glad it's not just me then Trev ! :oldtimer:
I haven't received my SD card yet so I can't play with my new toy yet.
I'm hoping that one of the guys on here have found out how to reset the date though, and will explain to us.

Cheers,

Clive.

Tyke Pilot
04-02-10, 23:53 PM
There is a file on the CD that you can change the date on then download it to the memory card, havent done it yet though.

Max
05-02-10, 00:10 AM
If you read the User Guide I put up (Page 3 I think) it explains there, as Tyke Pilots says you have to create a file called TAG.TXT (I think check the user guide though!) with the current date and time and then It should work! As I say check the guide on the CD or the one I uploaded here as It explains it there :)

Max

TREV BAILEY
05-02-10, 09:16 AM
Hi Max, I'll have a go at work this morning and let you know how I get on (I say me but I probably will pass the task on to my son Lee, he's a lot more computer literate than me) remember us old gits don't read instructions, half the pleasure in building an Ikea wall unit would be throwing away the instructions first.

Safe Landings

Trev

Allan
05-02-10, 19:24 PM
Just got mine, clipped it to the top of my sweater and took it for a walk around the village - amazing how much I rock from side to side as I walk! Perhaps not broadcast quality but very impressive for the price. Tomorrow I hope to get down to the airfield and find somewhere to mount it on my Skyranger. Vince's post about buying more than one set me thinking and I went back to look at the e-bay seller I bought mine from but his prices are going up. I got my at a buy it now price of £11.98 post free but he now seems to be either offering the cameras with an included sd card at a not too favourable price or not offering a buy it now price. Found another seller who was charging £9.99 p&p but I got the camera for 99p. This one comes from Singapore. His site is in better English so hopefully the instructions, if any, will be easier to understand than the ones I have now being a poor translation from Chinese. I'll let you know.

Allan

watchboss1
07-02-10, 00:36 AM
I have charged the camera, fitted an SD card, and it won't switch on !

I contacted the seller who told me to charge for 8 hours and try again......so I did.......and it still won't switch on.

I've now asked for a replacement, and told them that it's not worth me sending this one back.

I will report my success.........if I have any !

Cheers,

Clive.

watchboss1
07-02-10, 11:33 AM
Have recieved a reply from the camera suplier. They want me to send it back and they will replace it.
Either that or send 13 USD for a new one.

As that is going to push the price of the camera up, I've told them that I'll just throw it away !

Disappointing, to say the least :teeth:

Clive.

VinceG
12-02-10, 14:25 PM
I've just got mine delivered and managed to see the stuff on the CD.

Hopefully will get flying at the weekend to give it a go.

Here is the word document that comes with it.

I Characters of Product
 It has small contour design, which does UV spray finishing for the whole body. It is very fashionable and wearable and matches with all kinds of portable tools.
 Support PC camera and chatting function.
 Support AVI video format.
 It can carry out high definition image recording under low illumination.
 Support 30 fps for 720*480 and 320*240 video shoot and output.
 Support USB1.1 and USB2.0.
 Support 8GB T-flash card.(maximum)
 Build-in lithium battery which can make a video more than two hours, the standby time is up to 250 hours.

II Operation Guide

1. Charge
The battery is built-in lithium rechargeable battery, so when you use it the first time, please charge firstly. The method for charging as following:
1.) Connect computer: use USB cable to connect the computer, then it can be charged.
2.) Use adaptor: connect charger plug with USB cable, then plug into electrical connector receptacle, it can be charged.
When you charge it, green light and red light will bright simultaneously, of which states are stillness.

Notice: when battery power is not enough, YSB -001 will enter into protection mode, so it cannot be turn on. Now, please charge for it.

2. Power on to video

1) Press Power button slightly, Blue indicator light begins to bright, now it enters into startup ready mode, which can enter into standby mode quickly.
2) Press Record / Stop button slightly, Blue indicator light begins to bright, red indicator light starts to flash slowly. At this time, it begins to make a video. The resolution for video file is 720*480, and frame number is 29--30fps/S.
3) Then short press Record / Stop button, video is stopped and saved automatically. After saving the red indicator light remains light.
4) If you need to continue to video, please press Record / Stop button slightly once more.

Notice:
a. Please make sure T-flash (Micro SD) card has been inserted, if not, it will be power off automatically after 30 seconds.
b. The maximum capacity of T-flash card is 8GB.
c. Saving file needs certain time, so please don’t press Operation button continuously in order to avoid saving unsmoothly and generating incomplete file.
d. When you make a video, please focus on the object and keep 50cm under sufficient illumination. Then the video will be right, natural color, clear and stable.

3. Sound control video (optional)

Press Power button slightly, yellow indicator light begins to bright, now it enters into startup ready mode, which can enter into standby mode quickly. At that time, press MODE button slightly, and then you can switch into sound control video mode. Now Blue indicator light always brights, red indicator light flash quickly (indicate sound control standby mode). When decibel of video is more than 60, then it will be video automatically. At the moment, Blue indicator light always brights, red indicator light flash slowly. (Indicate under sound control video)
When sound control starts, the shortest shoot time is 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, if there is no any sound, D001 will save file automatically and switch into standby mode. If there still has sound after 2 minutes, D001 will continue to shoot.

4.Time set
There is a CD with the product which contains a file named time synchronization file. Please copy it to TF card. When connect YSB-001 with computer, whose time will be displayed with computer synchronously.
The detail as following:
1. build a text called TAG.TXT under root directory of card.
2. open TAG.TXT,write synchronous date according to enclosure stricktly.
Details as following:
[date] need space with newline
2009/07/22 need space with newline
12:00:00
Power on the machine everytime, system will check and analyse TAG.TXT, then set system time according to file time. After that the text will be deleted by system automatically.

5.Power off
Under video mode or standby mode, please long press Power button 3 seconds, then release till indicator goes out. Then the machine is turned off.

6. Auto-power off function
MINI DV will save file and turn off automatically as following:
a. When you shoot video without enough power, file will be saved automatically, then auto-power off.
b. When disk space of MINI DV is not enoughn, after indicator goes out immediately, file will be saved automatically then auto-power off.
c. Under standby mode, without any operation in 45 seconds, it will be auto-power off.

7.Connecting computer
It can connects computer under power off mode, standby mode or video mode, after that which can be used as U disk, who can copy, cut and paste, delete file.
When you connect it with USB port, a portable disk mark will be seen after several seconds. Red indicator light always brights, yellow indicator light will be from flashed quickly to always brights.

Notice:
a. When you connect computer, if the machine cannot be identified, or not see the portable U disk mark in 30 seconds, please insert it again.
b. It is better copy or cut video file into computer hardware then play. Video file which is saved in the machine is played directly will cause unsmooth play, the reason is that gigantic data cannot be transmitted synchronously.

8 PC Camera
When you first use PC camera, please install driver. The driver name is SPCA1528_V2220_M…Setup.exe, which is placed in attached CD. When you install please double press this document, and as per guide to do. After that there will be an AMCAP icon on the computer desk.
Under power off or power on mode, use USB cable to connect computer, the mode is U disk mode. Then short press MODE button, at this moment it can be switched into PC camera mode. Then double press AMCAP icon can be used as PC camera.

9.Reset
When machine works abnormal for illegal operation or other unknown reasons, it needs to be reset.
The specific operation method as following:
Use slim pole to press the Reset button, and then finish one reset operation.

10. Notice
Suitable using situation: Please follow State's law. Do not use it illegally.
Work temperature: Please use it under normal temperature and avoid using under unsuitable body temperature.
Work humidity: Please use it under agreeable human atmosphere humidity, Please not to make product wet or expose in rain for which without waterproop function.
Shooting illumination: Please use it under enough light sources; do not aim the camera at the sun and other strong light sources in order not to damage optical parts of an apparatus.
Cleaning requirements: Please not use the product under too large dust density atmosphere so as not to affect video effects for tainted lens and other parts.
Waste treatment: Please pay attention to protect environment, not to throw the product optionally. In order to avoid explosion, please not throw product into fire.

Tyke Pilot
12-02-10, 21:54 PM
Hi All, used my camera for the first time today, it needs editing but I will put it up when done. Unfortunately the quality is affected by vibration (I put it on the Pylon), will have to think of a better way to mount it.

LeeB
17-02-10, 18:11 PM
Mine came today and this is how you change the date:

1) Insert the Mini Cd that comes with the camera into your computer and browse. You will find a sample file called Tag.txt. Copy this file to a location on your computer (desktop is a good location)
2) Insert a blank Micro SD card into the camera and connect it to your computer via the USB cable.
3) Your computer will see the camera as a removable hard drive. Click on "My Computer" then the camera should be there as drive E or F depending on how many drives your PC has. (Note it will not apear if you have no SD card installed)
4) open the Tag.txt file that you saved on your desktop and change the date and time to read the correct date/Time and click FILE - SAVE.
5) Go to your desktop and right click on Tag.txt and select COPY
6) Navigate to the camera via "My Computer" - Removable Drive E (or whatever your letter is) and double click on it to open the route folder of the camera SD Card.
7) Right click anywhere in open space and select PASTE.
8) The TAG.txt file will now apear in the route of the SD card and should be on your screen. Disconnect the camera from the USB cable and immediately turn it off by holding the power button for about a second.
9) Power it back up and hey presto the date and time will be correct.

Also you only have to do this once as the cammera will now remeber the correct time and date every time you use it (unless the battery goes completely flat)

Max
17-02-10, 22:10 PM
Watchboss: Did you pay for it on credit card or through paypal?

You could get either of the parties to refund you - only problem is they might say the seller is perfectely in there rights to ask you o send it back.

You could claim you never recieved the item I guess! Paypal are generally very good with things like this!

Max

watchboss1
18-02-10, 00:37 AM
You're dead right Max, they are within their rights and actually asked me twice to send it back to let them test and or replace it. Trouble is that it's China, so it ain't worth throwing any more money at it.
I might see if any of my mates can sort it. :(

Clive.

Max
18-02-10, 00:44 AM
Hmmm Wish there was something I could do - As I was the one to recommend it :/

I will see what I can do, if you PM me your ebay name I will speak to the seller and explain the circumstances and that alot of people want to buy one but have been 'put off' by your experience.

Max

watchboss1
18-02-10, 00:54 AM
No worries Max. It isn't worth bothering with.
It has worked intermittently, so maybe I can get some electrical boffin to look at it.
I also have a new camcorder to play with so I can have fun with that.

Cheers,

Clive.

Tyke Pilot
18-02-10, 12:05 PM
LeeB, thanks for the instructions mate, I would never have been able to do that from the instructions with the camera, I have now succesfully changed the date.

Bob T
25-03-10, 18:25 PM
You lot are a pain in the a**e. I have also now got one of these £12 things, just ordered the micro SD card and am going to have to make loads more videos! I can see I will need more of these and you are all to blame!

mcgolem
28-04-10, 17:06 PM
I've now bought one of these as well, quality is very superb for the 99p i paid (plus 9.99 P&P). The only problem i'm having despite following LeeB's instructions is that the date is screwed up. I can't get it to change, even though the time does. Ah well, i'll persevere. Can't wait to try it in earnest.
Update 10 minutes later, all working now, have to keep the date format the same way round.

Cheers

Tom

Bob T
28-04-10, 17:10 PM
I gave up on the date. I seem to have put the file with the correct date and time on the micro SD card and it works for one recording, I then have to do the same for the next recording.
The only problem that I have is setting the thing to start recording. I fit it to the machine press the power and then the button on the top, but cannot see the LEDs to see if it is working. I have landed many times to find that I have nothing recorded.

spear
28-04-10, 17:58 PM
Don’t worry about it Bob, it’s not like you’ve got anything decent to film anyway. I mean, come on, anyone would think you have a new wing or something!

LeeB
28-04-10, 20:22 PM
If you want to change the date make sure the format is EXACTLY as it is in the sample file supplied with the camera. If you accidently add a space or change it from MONTH/DAY/YEAR to DAY/MONTH/YEAR the update won't work.
Hope this helps.

Niddflyer
30-04-10, 10:00 AM
I gave up on the date. I seem to have put the file with the correct date and time on the micro SD card and it works for one recording, I then have to do the same for the next recording.
The only problem that I have is setting the thing to start recording. I fit it to the machine press the power and then the button on the top, but cannot see the LEDs to see if it is working. I have landed many times to find that I have nothing recorded.

Have the same problem with the LED lights. In daylight - even cloud - the lights are only visible if the thing is held up literally a couple of mm from the eyeball !! Go indoors and they are perfectly visible.

daipower
23-06-10, 08:22 AM
Can someone put a link to a current one for sale as the one on ebay at the top of this thread just shows a list.
thanks
dai

LeeB
23-06-10, 16:34 PM
Looks like they have come down in price!!!!

see ebay item 220624577783

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Mini-DV-Pocket-Video-Camera-DVR-Camcorder-Cam-MD80-/220624577783?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item335e3fe4f7

Les Hodgson
23-06-10, 21:39 PM
I'm delighted with this little camera. I got the best results by simply fixing in to my monopole with electrical tape. It's true that the tiny LED's are very difficult to see though. I showed some flying footage to a fellow pilot who says the quality is far better than he gets from his expensive video camera.
If it were possible to have some kind of remote on/off/record device wired in by someone techy it would be just perfect.

I'm well pleased!
Les

daipower
23-06-10, 22:20 PM
Les,
have you published any footage

riggles2
23-06-10, 23:16 PM
Can some body please give me an idea of what the 8gb micro sd card costs, looks like they cost more than the camera
thanking you
lee

Max
24-06-10, 00:20 AM
They Do cost more than the camera - but remember you can use them in your phone as well. They are around £20-£25 instore probably cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

Max

bingoboy
24-06-10, 08:28 AM
try 7dayshop.com

riggles2
24-06-10, 22:22 PM
My wife bought one for me today along with a 8gb micro sd card, so that I can record my lessons. Would like to have a look at videos whilst waiting for the postman if any body would like to post the link to them.
lee

riggles2
29-06-10, 07:59 AM
If any body uses this camera in or on a c42 can you please tell me where to best places to mount the camera are to get the clearest picture.
Hope to fix some where near my head set.
thanks
lee

LeeB
29-06-10, 20:56 PM
If the weather is nice enough to wear sunglasses you can use the supplied clip to attach it to the glasses inbetween the lenses just above the bridge of you nose. That way what ever you look at will be recorded.

riggles2
30-06-10, 12:20 PM
Thanks leeb
Might look a bit silly but should work?
lee

LeeB
30-06-10, 18:18 PM
Yes it feels a bit odd too to begin with. But you will soon forget its there and get some good video.

riggles2
06-07-10, 07:25 AM
Hi
Got my camera today but it did not come with the cd like it said it should in the instructions, Can any body send me a copy of what is on the cd so I can change the time. Will contact the seller but who know how long it will take to get the cd!
Thanks
lee

TREV BAILEY
06-07-10, 08:07 AM
Lee, if you go back to page 5 of this thread my lad (also Lee) has put full instructions on how to set the time and date.

Trev

LeeB
06-07-10, 13:08 PM
riggles....send me a PM with your email address and I will send the time/date file over as an attachment.

riggles2
07-07-10, 09:26 AM
Thank leeB

I got the tag file. At first I could not get it to work, I followed the instructions and it would not do anything. I then become a bit of a dog with a bone and would not leave it alone until I could get it to work.
If any body still can not get there date/time to change try this it worked for me.

1) Open up your mini sd card on your computer you can do this through the camera or straight into your computer with a mini sd adaptor.
2) In the first screen ( you will see dcim) right mouse click, then new, text document and name it TAG not TAG.txt like in the instructions.
3) Click on the TAG folder and it will open up notepad.
4) Type the following or paste and copy it from here.

[date]
2010/04/19
10:31:00=
You will see that there is a = after the time which is not on the cd or in the instructions.

5) Change the date and time making sure it looks the same ie year/month/day and 24 hour clock. A good tip is to put the time one minute fast so by the time you have done the next step the clock will appear correct.
6) Close the text doc and then the sd card. Remove it from the computer.
If you have done the first few steps through the camera turn the camera off wait a few seconds and turn it back on.
If you have done the first few steps direct to the sd card place the card back in the camera and turn it on.
7) The new time and date should now be set. If you now connect the camera or sd card back to the computer and open the sd card the text document you made should have disappeared, if so it has worked.........Happy Videoing.

Aerial
07-07-10, 12:43 PM
Thank you Riggles2, that was very useful info that I didn't have before. Haven't tried it yet but have no doubts it'll work!

riggles2
21-07-10, 16:33 PM
Got my camera and have done a few videos of my lessons on the circuit. Can any body tell me what program they use to edit the video clips and post them to you tube. Any info on how to do this would be great as I have never uploaded videos before.
Thanks
lee

LeeB
21-07-10, 18:59 PM
I use windows movie maker.its pre installed with windows xp but Its not bundled with windows 7 computers but is available as a free download from Microsoft. Really easy to use, just remember to limit your videos to 10 mins or under for youtube or they get rejected.

Trevor Chadwick
22-07-10, 11:34 AM
Hi All,

Quite a few of us in a model aircraft club have been using these same video cameras for filming. They are easily attached to model aircraft, and give great results. However, we could never get the date on film set correctly. Many thanks to the people who posted the instructions here on how to do it - we'd tried everything (including following the mangled Chinese instructions....) and failed.

I haven't actually tried it yet when flying the old AX2000.

Many thanks once again.

Trevor Chadwick

Katie
31-07-10, 23:37 PM
I'm looking at getting one of these mini cameras, what's the best one to get at the moment :confused:

What I really need is something small and really lightweight, that's more important to me than picture quality. I need something I can attach somewhere so it's at eye level height (all part of a experiment to improve my landings:eek:), but I can't put anything permanent in the share-o-plane... any suggestions?

Max
31-07-10, 23:53 PM
Get one like off eBay like the one I recommended, they come with a clip and you can just pop it on your headphones at eye level and job done, I use it when I go flying with cadets just clip it to the side next to your ear and hit record =] Just search on eBay mini dv camera they must weigh 50g or less!

Max

Max
31-07-10, 23:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-Hidden-Video-Camera-Spy-Cam-Camcorder-MD80-NEW-/170480358651?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item27b16bd4fb#ht_4706wt_855

There you go even come down in price!

Max

Katie
01-08-10, 08:42 AM
Thanks, Max :cool:

I'm glad they have got even cheaper :)

TREV BAILEY
02-08-10, 09:46 AM
Hi Katie, I have just got the latest spy camera from China via e bay 150463259053 the camera is built into sunglasses 8gb memory built in and an mp3 player as well, don't know about quality yet as I havn't had the time to use it

Trev

Flexis_n_Zeds
02-08-10, 11:13 AM
Those mini DV cameras are great Katie - me and a mate got a couple recently for £9-odd each from Hong Kong and we've been very happy with them. They weigh next to nothing, and I've been messing about putting mine in my bike helmet to test it. The only problem I've had is getting the thing lined up properly, but I'm only struggling because I'm trying to line it up with my line of sight in my helmet.

Get a decent sized micro-SD card though - an old 2Gb one I had hanging around will only take about 28 mins of footage (because it's quite a high resolution - 720x480 if I remember correctly).

As a bonus, these cameras can also be used as webcams and even have voice activation - i.e. leave it somewhere and when it detects a noise it'll start recording.

Just search for 'MD80' on eBay - this seems to be the model that I have.

P.S. It doesn't come with the webcam drivers, despite what it says (in Engrish) in the manual - search for 'MD80 drivers' on the net or give me a shout.

Nickjaxe
09-08-10, 20:02 PM
Anybody had any experience with this one,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRIFT-X170-HELMET-CAMERA-X-170-INNOVATIONS-DRIFTX170-/290461346820?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item43a0d86c04

Looks very neat and low profile, RF remote 170 deg wide angle lens, just been looking at some videos shot with it on youtube....quite impressive.

Nick.

Bob T
09-08-10, 20:49 PM
Anybody had any experience with this one,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRIFT-X170-HELMET-CAMERA-X-170-INNOVATIONS-DRIFTX170-/290461346820?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item43a0d86c04

Looks very neat and low profile, RF remote 170 deg wide angle lens, just been looking at some videos shot with it on youtube....quite impressive.

Nick.

Should be OK but the thread is titled £12 camcorder and not £100+ camcorder.

Katie
13-08-10, 20:17 PM
Got my camera today and am amazed at just how small it is (I hope I don't lose it! ) It should be perfect for what I need it for :cool:

I reckon If I wear an elastic hair band I can clip the camera to that and while it may not win any fashion awards it seems like an easy way of getting my P.O.V. when landing. I am going to give it a go as soon as the weather is actually good enough for me to fly.

Terry Viner
13-08-10, 23:01 PM
I cant see why you call it a £12 camera, Mine is the same and it cost me £50. (Veho Muvi) with clip

goldrush
14-08-10, 10:01 AM
Just a point
The Mini DV Hidden Video Camera Spy Cam Camcorder MD80
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-Hidden-Video-Camera-Spy-Cam-Camcorder-MD80-NEW-/170480358651?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item27b16bd4fb#ht_4706wt_855
mentioned earlier. now about £1.58 plus postage will not worK with Win 7. only up to Vista

riggles2
15-08-10, 20:35 PM
I run windows 7 and it works for me?

Flexis_n_Zeds
16-08-10, 13:46 PM
I run windows 7 and it works for me?

Yep, me too. There's no reason for it not to work in normal mode - it just works like a normal memory stick. In webcam mode there MAY be an issue with some drivers, but if anyone struggles, send me a PM - I found some that work fine on Win 7.

Karl

goldrush
16-08-10, 16:59 PM
Interesting... will not work on 2 different Win 7 64 bit systems and they have told me that the drivers are only applicable Vista and below... maybe you are using Win 7 32bit?

Flexis_n_Zeds
17-08-10, 10:48 AM
Replied to your PM mate, but for the benefit of others reading this - I dunno. The drivers I have work great, but I can't remember if I have 64 or 32bit Win 7 on my laptop. I'm thinking 32bit... Still, give the drivers a go - it can't hurt. Again though, the drivers are only needed for using it as a webcam - it definitely works fine just to get your vids off on Win 7 64bit, because it worked fine on my main machine.

Karl :)

bri663
17-08-10, 17:54 PM
Karl I can confirm the drivers you sent me are running fine on windaes 7 64-bit no problems

Flexis_n_Zeds
18-08-10, 10:37 AM
Karl I can confirm the drivers you sent me are running fine on windaes 7 64-bit no problems

Good news mate :) Glad they're OK

riggles2
25-08-10, 01:50 AM
Here is my first attempt to video my flying lessons on my £12 camera
Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Y4gHesINA

drumcoote
25-08-10, 14:11 PM
Here is my first attempt to video my flying lessons on my £12 camera
Lee

Lee
looks good --- I was over there this morning -- flew to Newtownards and back to get my hours over the "magic" 50 hour number in order to get my IAA validation paperwork sent away. Have you the camera bluetacked to your forehead?!?!?

Michael

riggles2
25-08-10, 14:51 PM
Hi Michael

No Clipped to my sun glasses, loooooks silly but works. Can't wait to do a flight like that. Are you heading or anybody else from Kernan heading to Lime tree this weekend.
Lee

drumcoote
25-08-10, 15:00 PM
Hi Michael

No Clipped to my sun glasses, loooooks silly but works. Can't wait to do a flight like that. Are you heading or anybody else from Kernan heading to Lime tree this weekend.

I'm not heading down although I would love to (I'll be camping in a field on the Fermanagh/Leitrim border -- how's about that for exotic!!!). I think there are a few lads from Kernan heading down --- I hope there's a big turnout as the NMAI have been doing mighty work on this initiative with IAA and its important to me to be able to fly across the border. Now if only they could do something about the documentation burden we'd be home & dry!!

drumcoote
25-08-10, 15:33 PM
Lee
here's this morning's route. As you can see I was too busy marvelling at how good the weather was to bother flying in the right direction for the first 10 minutes ;-) But once I got pointed in the right direction I got on OK.

http://www.goflying.org/nav/tracklog/tracklog.htm?trackLogId=2075064220

Michael.

Flexis_n_Zeds
25-08-10, 16:42 PM
That site looks good Michael - is it all free to sign up?

drumcoote
25-08-10, 16:54 PM
That site looks good Michael - is it all free to sign up?

I wouldn't be using it if it wasn't free ;-) I used MotionX GPS on my iPhone to log the track -- you can then email the track file to yourself from your phone and upload that file to goflying.org to convert it into the "click to see your track on Google Earth" format.

On a side note, the MotionX GPS app is superb on iPhone and iPad --- if only they had the 1:250k and/or 1:500k maps it would be perfect....

Michael.

riggles2
26-08-10, 15:28 PM
Thanks Michael
I have to agree that site looks good, will be looking into that one I think.
Lee

Trident
04-12-10, 19:47 PM
Hi,
Has anyone worked out how to turn of the date & time from the recording?
I haven't bought one yet, but I probably will to supplement my GoPro.
Thanks,
Frank.