PDA

View Full Version : Hellooooooooooo!

Jiggles
13-04-10, 18:41 PM
Is there anybody there there there there there!
Anyone else fly Mainair Blades?
John

Jon S
14-04-10, 08:30 AM
Hi John,
I own one (462). But I've not flown it yet - soon though :-)
Another couple of hours in my instructors gt450 and then we're switching to mine.
Planning to have all day at the strip on Sunday (weather permitting), look at a temp gauge prob and run her up for a spell.
No doubt I'll be posting some blade related questions before long

Jon S
13-05-10, 21:03 PM
OK - time for an update & the 1st question ( I said there would be some in my earlier post on this thread)
Well, I've managed to fly my Blade a few times now - love it! It's not as fast in the climb as my instructors GT450 but otherwise it's a cracking machine. Starts like a dream (touch wood) and handles very nicely.
My instructor reckons it won't be much longer 'til my 1st solo now :eek:
During my checks earlier, I noticed one of the tyres looked a bit slack. So got the compressor out, put some air in, went round the other two... Ah! The previous owner has replaced the tube with one with a straight stem! And try as I might I can't get a connection onto the valve for the hub. Fortunately the pressure seems fine, but I could do with checking it. Probably have to take the wheel off to get at the valve - The previous owner obviously got some air in there somehow.
So, Question - How big a job is it to take a rear wheel off on a Blade (circa 1996) ?
Is there a Torque wrench spec for doing up the bearing retainer on refitting? (I can't find it in the manual).

Bob T
13-05-10, 22:08 PM
If you pop along to a motorbike shop you will find that you can buy little right angled extensions for the valve.

Jiggles
13-05-10, 23:55 PM
. . . or new tubes if necessary for 3 or 4 quid!
Wheels are not difficult to take off Jon; no torque settings to replacing, if I remember right.
John

Jon S
14-05-10, 09:59 AM
If you pop along to a motorbike shop you will find that you can buy little right angled extensions for the valve.
I'm not sure I can get an adaptor on - The top of the straight stem is so close to the hub it's nigh on impossible to get the dust cap on and off... With the wheel off, on the bench, I could probably push the stem over far enough to get a pressure gauge or adaptor on it. But If I go that far I may as well put a new tube in, as John suggests - And as luck would have it, the previous owner gave me a spare tube with a 90' stem.

Jon S
14-05-10, 10:42 AM
. . . or new tubes if necessary for 3 or 4 quid!
Wheels are not difficult to take off Jon; no torque settings to replacing, if I remember right.
John

Cheers John,
I'm very new to this aviation malarky and still trying to get a handle on the right balance between common sense and using a torque wrench and locking wires on everything in sight. If you know what I mean.

Frank Thorne
15-05-10, 08:11 AM
I fly a 912 Blade and yes it is a good machine. Set up right it can cruise around 65mph top speed 75 and is very steady in turbs. Lots of 912 powered suffer from torque effects under power and most owners seem to suffer in silence not realising its an easy fix with the engine adjustment mounting bars. Most are heavy in roll and pitch unless you fiddle with the wing and then it becomes acceptable although still heavier than a GT450 but then again its much more stable than the GT450. Have fun.............