PDA

View Full Version : Weird ground steering

damienair
21-07-10, 17:48 PM
Hello all,

I was at a flyin a few weeks ago in my Skyranger 912S and logged over 6 hours, most of it taking local people for pleasure flights. The strip itself was like a golf fairway, very smooth. However the parking area was just after harvest and was a little bumpy but not too bad. After many many flights I departed for home and noticed when lining up that the ground steering through the rudder pedals had got very heavy all of a sudden. So I turned off the engine and my passenger and I got out to check cables and the front steering colum as well as the front wheel assy. all checked out ok. When the tail was dropped the rudder control was very free and felt perfect. So after a fairly thorough inspection we departed for home. Two hours later I was back at the strip and I noticed again that the steering on the ground was heavy through the rudder pedals.

I am puzzled as to what is causing this , have any of you come across this before. Do you have any suggestions for what I should look at in order to rectify this. I did a lot of landings that day but none were heavy and I always keep the nose light when taxying.

Many thanks,

Damien.

Terry Viner
21-07-10, 19:40 PM
Damien, Ive just sent you a PM

Terry

Aerial
21-07-10, 19:41 PM
Tyre pressure - lack of?

damienair
23-07-10, 14:12 PM
Thank you Arial for your suggestion, I will check the tyre pressure, and thank you very much Terry for your PM, it was a pleasure talking to you. This year has been tough as far as flying goes with home life, but I hope to make a trip over the pond to the UK , realistically in Spring now at this stage, but when I do I will make a point of making a trip to you Terry so as I can buy you a Pint or 10.

Many thanks,
Damien.

damienair
02-08-10, 20:50 PM
Thanks Terry, you were 100 % correct, went flying on Saturday and all was OK.

Damien

VinceG
03-08-10, 00:11 AM
Hi Damien. Can you share your findings on this thread for anyone searching the forums in the future?

Bulleteer
29-03-17, 11:08 AM
Damien, I know this is an old post and that you don't have your Skyranger anymore, however, I just got exactly the same symptoms as you a few days ago during the good weather. Any chance you could enlighten me as to what Terry said.

damienair
29-03-17, 14:03 PM
Hello,

Sorry, to be honest I forget a little. From memory there had been an easterly wind, not too strong, 10-15 mph. It was the wind which had caused this weird issue. There was no problem in the Air, only occured on the ground when taxiing. It was as though the front wheel was locked and I found it very hard to make a turn using the rudder pedals. When I got out and checked the wheel there was no issue. But again when I taxiied I found it hard to turn using the rudder pedal as had to put so much pressue on the pedals. What ever position the Skyranger was in on the ground the easterly wind had an effect on the rudder causing it to feel like the issue was with the front wheel. It was weird, only ever happened on that one day.

A few dats ago there was a south easterly, so probably the exact same. You will probably never experience it again. Terry might give his advice if he sees this post.

Must get up to Slieve Croob soon.

Damien

Bulleteer
29-03-17, 16:48 PM
Hello,

Sorry, to be honest I forget a little. From memory there had been an easterly wind, not too strong, 10-15 mph. It was the wind which had caused this weird issue. There was no problem in the Air, only occured on the ground when taxiing. It was as though the front wheel was locked and I found it very hard to make a turn using the rudder pedals. When I got out and checked the wheel there was no issue. But again when I taxiied I found it hard to turn using the rudder pedal as had to put so much pressue on the pedals. What ever position the Skyranger was in on the ground the easterly wind had an effect on the rudder causing it to feel like the issue was with the front wheel. It was weird, only ever happened on that one day.

A few dats ago there was a south easterly, so probably the exact same. You will probably never experience it again. Terry might give his advice if he sees this post.

Must get up to Slieve Croob soon.

Damien

Thanks Damien

Peter Twissell
31-03-17, 14:28 PM
Am I reading this correctly?
Is it suggested that the easterly wind causes a ground steering issue whatever the orientation of the aircraft?

Arielarts
31-03-17, 16:21 PM
Those damned easterlies...

Gentreau
31-03-17, 17:58 PM
Am I reading this correctly?
Is it suggested that the easterly wind causes a ground steering issue whatever the orientation of the aircraft?

Someone's been watching too much Sherlock .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi#Eurus

Terry Viner
31-03-17, 22:35 PM
Yes Gentreau, it is possible.

woodysr2
03-04-17, 17:35 PM
I dont think it as much the direction as the amount of x wind component
I was taking off from Bute yesterday in what was probably on the limit of the aircraft and
I was telling my passenger to get their feet off the rudder pedals but they were not on them
but it sure did feel like the pedals were locked
X-Air hawk but same problem by the sound of it

damienair
04-04-17, 21:20 PM
Hi Woody,

Yes you are bang on. I did not comment to this thread initially after Terry had spoken to me a few years ago as I knew that others would come on and slag me off. I really appreciated Terry's PM and phone call as he put my mind at rest. I really honestly can't explain it. I taxied hundreds of times in very strong winds (at times as much as 50 mph) and never experienced this phenomenon. On the day that it happened to me the winds were not to strong from memory (10-15 mph) and I remember it was an easterly which did not bother me in the slightest (and probably had nothing to do with it, or maybe it did, i don't know). I just could not push the rudder pedal, like you it was as if the passanger was pushing against me on the rudder pedal or that the wheel was locked. It was just weird, I can't explain it and it only happened once, but as you said had something to do with cross wind component on the rudder.

Anyway, no rudder pedals to worry about anymore. Hoping to get out in my Quantum on Friday at long long last. Although I do miss a stick and rudder when I am battling cross winds in a weightshift. Still hoping to get over to Strathaven this summer via Newtonards in NI. Would be nice to meet up with you and any other Scottish based pilots the other side of the Irish Sea and fly along with you.

Cheers,

Damien