PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of building a swift / ninja what do you think

VinceG
02-11-10, 21:43 PM
Hi people, this may be pie in the sky but I'm considering building a sky ranger. It may be in 5 years time when my youngest has left university, or if I can somehow find the funds, may start it in the spring. What do you think?

spear
02-11-10, 22:56 PM
Go for it Vince – I am a firm believer of “living the dream”.

I suppose as you are now getting on a bit a little home comfort is in order ;)

Terry Viner
02-11-10, 22:59 PM
My personel thought is if you can manage it then go for it, It wont devalue in the first 5 years anyway. (providing you build it properly)

Katie
02-11-10, 23:13 PM
Hi people, this may be pie in the sky but I'm considering building a sky ranger. It may be in 5 years time when my youngest has left university, or if I can somehow find the funds, may start it in the spring. What do you think?

Great idea Vince, nice to see your switching over from the drafty side, like so many others have before you :)

Are you still having trouble with your fingers in the flex though? I wouldn't like to think that the problem is making you give up the flexies (or are you going to have both? :cool: )

VinceG
02-11-10, 23:41 PM
Fingers are still numb Katie but that's not the reason, it's the fact that it's a challenge and I like building stuff. It gives you a great sense of achievement. I've built a couple of kit cars, an ac cobra replica and a seven replica, the second one being from the ground up.

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5559

VinceG
02-11-10, 23:59 PM
My personel thought is if you can manage it then go for it, It wont devalue in the first 5 years anyway. (providing you build it properly)

Just seen a swift sold on afors with a 912s engine for 25k with 0 hours on it. It must have cost 32k to build.:shocked:

riggles2
03-11-10, 00:09 AM
Hi Vince
This would also be a dream of mine. I think it would be the best felling ever to take off in a plane that you have built yourself, and knowing very nut and bolt would make maintenance easy.
Follow the dream
Lee

johnmor
03-11-10, 01:06 AM
We certainly enjoyed building mine Vince. I found the whole process very satisfying, particularly as I'd rarely lifted a spanner in anger up until the start of the build. My brother who is an ex dual licensed engineer helped me and kept an eye on things. It took him a while to adjust after working on the big stuff, but like he said you don't get the chance to build a complete aeroplane every day. The build manual and support for the Skyranger is first class. We built ours in the hangar so we had plenty of space. We knocked up some large benches and covered them with carpet before starting and everthing was assembled at bench height instead of grovelling around on the floor. We are really enjoying the flying now. The first annual permit was completed last week and we have about 150hrs on the Hobbs already, despite the crap weather this year. The flexy lads have hardly been out of the hangar up here.

John

johnny3star
03-11-10, 09:19 AM
I was wondering what gave you the idea Vince
I did see you gazing longingly at that notorious Skyranger Swift HMCB at Wickenby at the weekend ?

They are certainly fabulous machines, 12 LPH and 60L tanks !
The Ninja would be the one to build, and it would be easy to sell if you ever got hard up.
Get a loan organised, and order the kit next week, you know it makes sense.
JM
SKR Swift

VinceG
03-11-10, 11:17 AM
It was Harry building two that got me thinking, but I can't do it until I've sold the kit car and made some space in the garage. I will have to finish it off before I sell it too.

If I do, I will write a blog on here.

Rick Goddin
03-11-10, 11:20 AM
Vince I am sure that Harry would be very happy to advise you as you proceed. Have you thought about asking him to become a member of this Forum?

Steve

Bob T
03-11-10, 11:45 AM
Why not buy a flexwing kit and stop being so soft! Why would you want to be inside with a heater?

micromikeuk
03-11-10, 12:20 PM
:cp:GO ON DO IT YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO :cp:

damienair
04-11-10, 01:01 AM
I bought my Skyranger Classic 912S with only 10 hours on the engine. I would like the idea of building my own airplane, but much prefer the flying. They are fantastic airplanes, maintenance is easy as access to all area's is easy, they are fantastic short field performers and great tourers. I am a huge fan of the Skyranger, I think they look great and they certainly fly great, a lot of airplane for the money, and popular with pilots trading up from X-Airs, etc, second hand models don't last long on the sales sites. Good fun, hopefully I might make it over to York next year on a good tour, I'll take you up for a good spin. I prefer the cockpit layout in the Swift to the heli type one in the Ninja. But the Ninja looks great. There are some great Skyranger build video's on You Tube.

Condorman
04-11-10, 07:20 AM

Vince, cracking idea...don't think...Do! always fancied building my own myself.

Regards.