PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Microlight

Irishmicro
03-03-11, 14:09 PM
I am getting more and more intrigued by these microlights, for their performance and visibility from the front seat, no other 3 axis aircraft in this price range comes close.
As far as I can gather they are mostly made from wood with fabric coverings, the fact they are made from wood, is this a concern for buying one as they are all about 20 years old, and in our climate, this can tell its tale on that material.
Does the fabric need recovered like on Xairs for example (prone to UV damage) and could someone point me in the direction of web sites with detailed pics of them and maybe what to look for in buying one?
Thanks

Carl Bayliss
03-03-11, 19:05 PM
The Shadow actually has very little wood in the construction, it is mainly constructed from fibrelam. The only part of the Shadow made from wood (I think) is the leading edge which is marine ply.

The covering on the wings is much more uv resistant than dacron on the likes of an xair.

Try http://www.shadowowners.flyer.co.uk for more Shadow info, my father has as Shadow DD with a 582...a fantastic machine.

goldrush
03-03-11, 20:57 PM
As Carl says the Shadow pod in particular is from Fiberlam.. and yes the D box is ply with foam "filling". and no the covering is "proper aircraft" material not the same as Dacron sleeves used on X airs etc. (although they are perfectly ok too) However, all fabric ages, primarily due to UV exposure. My own SHadow for example has never been painted with gives more protection, being still the original clear dope finish and has passed ok again this year. As with all aircraft purchases, take along your inspector who will have access to all the things to look for.

PeteCymru
03-03-11, 21:50 PM
I am getting more and more intrigued by these microlights, for their performance and visibility from the front seat, no other 3 axis aircraft in this price range comes close.
As far as I can gather they are mostly made from wood with fabric coverings, the fact they are made from wood, is this a concern for buying one as they are all about 20 years old, and in our climate, this can tell its tale on that material.
Does the fabric need recovered like on Xairs for example (prone to UV damage) and could someone point me in the direction of web sites with detailed pics of them and maybe what to look for in buying one?
Thanks

They are cracking looking planes, occasionally one comes up on afors though I believe you need to be aware of the model differences, especially if you're tall or wide (or in my case, tall AND wide :guitar:). Definitely on my list of possibles for when that elusive PPL is finally obtained (bl**dy weather).