PDA

View Full Version : Preflight study/exams

Skyservant
02-06-11, 22:14 PM
As I have said before I need to shed some timber before I can start my flying lessons. So I was thinking is there anything I can do prior to my lessons, i.e. sit any exams?
I really am not a great academic so I reckon I will struggle so having this time would help, I think!
Is this possible because I would rather do something constructive with my time other than coming on here and wooping Vince at Space Invaders :thumbup:

Jiggles
02-06-11, 23:54 PM
Buy the microlighters bible Ss, read, mark and inwardly digest; all the academics will fall into place then.
John

VinceG
03-06-11, 00:24 AM
What John failed to mention was the name of the book or it's author.

Cosgrove, Microlight Pilots Handbook. Verson 7 is the latest and greatest.

There will be no more versions because sadly Brian Cosgrove is no longer with us. Don't take your exams, there's plenty of time for that whilst you do your training. They run out after (2 years I've heard now) and you may have to re-sit them if you do them early. So, my recommendations, join http://www.slimmersforum.co.uk and loose some weight (plug) and then get yourself some lessons booked.

If you get back home, give me a shout, I'll take you for a spin in my Quantum flexwing.

meggark
03-06-11, 01:53 AM
As Vince says. the exams are only valid for a specific time period, much like a car theory test. If I remember rightly, it was 9 months your exam passes and solo hours count for, but I may be wrong on that or it may have changed. I'd wait till you're nearer solo before even thinking of exams, just read the cosgrove bible as mentioned above.

Skyservant
03-06-11, 09:59 AM
Cheers chaps, i've lost 7lb so far so it is coming off:pray: I shall get hold of Cosgroves Handbook straight away. Thank you.

Roger Mole
03-06-11, 10:18 AM
Cheers chaps, i've lost 7lb so far so it is coming off:pray: I shall get hold of Cosgroves Handbook straight away. Thank you.

7 lb eh - good going. You know it makes sense ;-)

I've got a 7th Ed Cosgrove, practically unopened (ahem...) yours for 15 inc postage if you want it.

PS ... OK, if you must know... the reason it's unopened is that I originally got an old edition off Ebay and someone bought me this one as a gift. It's NOT that I think it's rubbish or anything :shock:

Skyservant
03-06-11, 12:44 PM
7 lb eh - good going. You know it makes sense ;-)

I've got a 7th Ed Cosgrove, practically unopened (ahem...) yours for 15 inc postage if you want it.

PS ... OK, if you must know... the reason it's unopened is that I originally got an old edition off Ebay and someone bought me this one as a gift. It's NOT that I think it's rubbish or anything :shock:

Cheers Mr Mole but just got one off Fleabay, thanks all the same.

Skyservant
08-06-11, 18:13 PM
Well Mr Cosgroves book just arrived this morning, so I will be busy taking it all in the next couple of weeks:scratchheadblue: :thumbup:

Jiggles
08-06-11, 19:23 PM
Money well spent Ss, and a good read to boot.
John

Skyservant
20-06-11, 13:07 PM
Well, I've read the book and digested as much as I could, some of it was ok to take in and other parts were beyond me as I have never had to do it. So I guess i will be sitting down with a few of the lads at work to run through a few things.

But surely this is not everything I need to know with regards to taking any exams? Is there not any study material like PPL confuser or the like to read?

Hopefully start flying next week by the way now we're on top of things at work:thumbup:

coughar
21-06-11, 18:42 PM
I have cosgroves book and I think it's great. Also there is the A-Z of microlighting which also has a breakdown of the microlight training syllabus which again is useful when in training. When you get airborne your gonna be hooked as Vince has said!! Vinny

kate symons
21-06-11, 18:54 PM
Hi
i booked a trial in a flex today for next week , at a place called Beverley , am having a few days at the sea side
so we will see what its like
kate

coughar
21-06-11, 19:09 PM
Enjoy!! You'll be hooked.

kate symons
21-06-11, 19:43 PM
I didnt ask will he provide the clothing and goggles , or am i expected to have some
hope someone knows , maybe i will ring Rob Mckenna (did he used to be a hypnotist)
to check

Kate

Skyservant
21-06-11, 19:50 PM
Dont know but 'look in to my eyes no not around the eyes'..

kate symons
21-06-11, 19:55 PM
sorry i dont understand
kate

Skyservant
21-06-11, 20:20 PM
Nevermind

kate symons
21-06-11, 20:22 PM
are you taking the mickey sorry i dont get it

K

Jiggles
21-06-11, 21:28 PM
Yes he was Kate, you go and enjoy, which you will, and you will be provided with everything that you need on the day.
John

Jiggles
21-06-11, 23:39 PM
You want something to read Ss? Try this then, it will keep you busy for a while ;-)

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-5.pdf

John