PDA

View Full Version : Speed - or lack of it... Blade 912

fatcharlie
21-06-11, 17:19 PM
Hello all,

I'm the proud new owner of a rather well-used Blade 912. Now, I know she's not the new generation of fast flexwing, but I am a bit puzzled by the lack of speed.

She'll cruise at 55mph hands off, with the trim fully loose. I was expecting nearer 60 - I can do that, but I have to pull the bar in a little, which makes me arms tired!

The other day I was a bit high on approach and even pulling the bar right in to my stomach I only got 65mph - I would have expected her to acelerate to over 70mph pulling in hard. Now, I know I have a large stomach, and I was solo, therefore light, but is that OK?

Proviso's:

I'm new to flexwings - have gone the other way, from 3-axis to flexies
I have no flexwing 'lore', so if you start using technical terms I may ask for clarification

In anticipation,

Roger :-)

coughar
21-06-11, 17:33 PM
I'm by far no expert Roger, and I'm sure you'll get more info from more experienced members, but the the 912 blade I was learning on cruised at 60 and I believe that was on slow trim. Vinny

Carl Bayliss
21-06-11, 18:42 PM
Some blades are faster than others, first thing to check is which hang point it is on, Blades have three holes, look at the keel next to the hangstrap, if you can see a hole you could move it forward a notch which will increase the speed.

My first blade did an indicated 60ish hands off on the middle hangpoint, swapped it for a 912 blade and that showed about 56mph on the front hangpoint. Another thing to remember, asi's are quite often inaccurate...

andy dixon
21-06-11, 18:44 PM
where is the hang point fitted to ?
posision of wing tips ?

probably a job for your local b.m.a.a. inspector to adjust

a couple of months ago 'SCRAPPER' a forum member on here, let me have a go in his 912s blade........propper s$it my pants
2,000 ft per min climb at 65mph and not even full throttle.
he had the same problem of low cruise speed

Frank Thorne
21-06-11, 19:27 PM
PM sent...........:surprised:

VinceG
21-06-11, 20:37 PM
Please share your thoughts frank, someone may search for the same question later and may not ask if the answer has already been given.

woodysr2
25-06-11, 22:16 PM
My 912 flew at an indicated 60 on the centre hang point had it on the front hole briefly did not like the way it flew so changed it back

fatcharlie
29-06-11, 13:38 PM
Thanks for the input Woodysr2.

Any more detail on what you didn't like?

My 912 flew at an indicated 60 on the centre hang point had it on the front hole briefly did not like the way it flew so changed it back