PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - How did you convince the other half?

Doug
03-08-11, 14:07 PM
Hi folks,
Bit of a newbie question here, but I'm sure others have had the same problem.

How did you convince the wife that flexwings are safe to fly? I get the usual questions -
- What if the wings collapse?
- What if the trike decouples etc etc?

Has this ever happened and what did you say to 'er inddors?

Thanks
Doug

P Kelsey
03-08-11, 14:37 PM
Doug,
I presume you mean what do you say to the SWMBO ? Flexwings are predominantly safe and if flown within the flight envelope they won't break up !!!! So just tell her that ;-)

Or you say " it is very rare that a Wing collapses or a Trike detaches from the wing, but if it does happen.... you will be one Rich Bitch " :studyingbrown:

Hi folks,

How did you convince the wife that flexwings are safe to fly? I get the usual questions -

Thanks
Doug

VinceG
03-08-11, 14:51 PM
Statistically microlights are safe. Check out the accidents that have happened over the years, they are usually due to pilot error, weather etc.

Fly within the envelope (within the limits set out by the manufacturer) and you will be OK.

Just explain that if it's going to be "iffy" you simply won't fly.

Doug
03-08-11, 15:09 PM
Cheers, looked up the stats and from my perpsective I'm happy with the safety side. I sail, climb, dive, canoe and mountainbike regularly and the stats are more or less comparable (give or take a few incidents per million hours).
1 in 3 of us will get cancer, 1 in 4 of us that get it will die of it - surely thats a bigger threat?
Looking at the performance envelope, I belive flexwings are tested to 6g (happy to be corrected) so you'd need to be pulling / pushing pretty hard to reach that (and not black out).

All of the above are logical answers...SWMBO isn't always logical :wink:

May need to go with the "Rich bitch" approach :)

TwoDogs
03-08-11, 15:35 PM
You've just made me realise that my misses hasn't raised any concerns about my safety... hmmm. I'm going to ask her why.

Hi folks,

Thanks
Doug

Sam
03-08-11, 15:41 PM
I just didn't tell her, she didn't know any different until my Blade appeared on the driveway ! That was about 12 hours into my training !!

Jiggles
03-08-11, 16:25 PM
Bloody hell Sam, that sounds like a dangerous way to live ;-)

John

Sam
03-08-11, 17:02 PM
I actually figured she wouldn't notice the trike on the driveway, been that she too busy cooking and cleaning, unfortunately I'd positioned it on route to tumble dryer in the garage !! Damn !
Once she found out and I was getting a bollocking anyway I thought I might as well make it worth the pain and chopped it in for the Quik. That way I got the deceitfulness and wasting money drama out the way in one confrontation ;-)

Now only to find out in the world according Peter I've bought a pig and the wings gonna fail imminently !! Oh well, sh1t happens and he could be wrong ;-)

Bob T
03-08-11, 17:52 PM
I feel sorry for you guys. I tell my wife that we need something for the Tanarg and she buys it. When we went to the Aircreation factory it was her asking me if we could have some AC flying jackets. I very rarely fly solo.

Sam
03-08-11, 18:23 PM
Bob, how could your life get any better ??? Perfect flying weather and the perfect wife, youve hit the jackpot !! ;-)

Happy birthday !

willjohnh
03-08-11, 18:31 PM
I told her I wanted to take up motorbiking. Flying somehow seemed a less dangerous compromise in her mind?!

meggark
03-08-11, 19:07 PM
My girlfriend is happy to come up in the back too, her only complaint is the cold.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Bob T
03-08-11, 19:11 PM
I told her I wanted to take up motorbiking. Flying somehow seemed a less dangerous compromise in her mind?!

That would not work with me, we sold our BMW R1100S's (his & hers) last year, now she wants more bikes too!

Doug
03-08-11, 20:17 PM
I actually figured she wouldn't notice the trike on the driveway...

Heh heh, did the same thing but to a lesser degree with a new full suspension mountainbike and then a surf kayak. I think she'd notice if I brought home a new trike (especially as I haven't officially started learning :) ) She did find my Microlight pilot's handbook so I think the penny is dropping...

Rick Moss
03-08-11, 20:24 PM
My microlights predate my wife, and therefore have tenure.

PeteCymru
03-08-11, 20:56 PM
Hi folks,
...... I get the usual questions -
- What if the trike decouples etc etc?..........

If those are the "usual questions" she already knows more than most.... :plane-028:

Nikkib582
03-08-11, 21:06 PM
My hubby got me to do a trial flight at the same time, both hooked, 8 years flying and we still make sure flying has priority

Nikki