PDA

View Full Version : Raven Wing Fabric

AndyJ
17-08-11, 20:45 PM
The Raven wing has an elastic fabric inside the trailing edge between the top and bottom surfaces, the elastic has all but gone on mine so I need to replace it.

Does anyone know the source for this fabric? For me to ship the skin back to the uk is big job so any source information would be great.

I am hoping at some point to get a new complete wing from Chris Draper but need a few more good pay days first.

vicky G
17-08-11, 21:32 PM
The Raven wing has an elastic fabric inside the trailing edge between the top and bottom surfaces, the elastic has all but gone on mine so I need to replace it.

Does anyone know the source for this fabric? For me to ship the skin back to the uk is big job so any source information would be great.

I am hoping at some point to get a new complete wing from Chris Draper but need a few more good pay days first.
Andy , try these guys they make the raven wings for Chris Draper . Top flight sails.telephone 01495 718444 , WWW.topflightsails.co.uk wish you well . :plane-028:

AndyJ
18-08-11, 07:47 AM
Andy , try these guys they make the raven wings for Chris Draper . Top flight sails.telephone 01495 718444 , WWW.topflightsails.co.uk (http://WWW.topflightsails.co.uk) wish you well . :plane-028:
Hi Vicky & thanks,
I tried Top Flight, but they wouldn't give me any information or sell me the fabric. I understand where they are coming from but my wing is 20yrs old and its not realistic to ship it from Grenoble in France.

Thanks again

VinceG
18-08-11, 08:03 AM
Strip the wing and roll up the fabric.

Kestutis
18-08-11, 11:03 AM
Hi Vicky & thanks,
I tried Top Flight, but they wouldn't give me any information or sell me the fabric. I understand where they are coming from but my wing is 20yrs old and its not realistic to ship it from Grenoble in France.

Thanks again

Take a sample of that material and go to a fabric shop. :)

Sorry UK mates ...

But strength of the sail is under question mark having in mind 20 years and France UV conditions ...

AndyJ
18-08-11, 11:11 AM
Strip the wing and roll up the fabric.

Hi Vince, yes that of course is the other option, its a balance of time & cost against severity; This is a minor repair but big time / cost balance. For minor wing issues like this, Mainair gave instructions on how to do it, and material descriptions etc. It would be good to find this out for this element of the Raven wing.

What would someone in New Zealand do?

AndyJ
18-08-11, 11:16 AM
Take a sample of that material and go to a fabric shop. :)

Sorry UK mates ...

But strength of the sail is under question mark having in mind 20 years and France UV conditions ...

Hi, yes this is true, but while the betts test is good why buy a new sail? This earlier wing was also made out of a slightly heavier dacron which is consideraly stronger and more UV resistant than the newer fabric, its in very good shape with relatively few hours after living in a cloudy country.

Kestutis
18-08-11, 11:39 AM
Hi, yes this is true, but while the betts test is good why buy a new sail? This earlier wing was also made out of a slightly heavier dacron which is consideraly stronger and more UV resistant than the newer fabric, its in very good shape with relatively few hours after living in a cloudy country.

If the sail passed Betts, so I'd do like I said ... go and buy something similar and stitch it to the wing by hand or sewing machine. That is not a significant piece of wing construction. This part is in effect only in very high speeds close to VNE. It stops the bottom trailing edge from changing airfloil. I'm flying the same wing (Raven X 447) and have looked at wing attidute during high speed. I'd dive down at 90 mph and looked what is happening with the wing. So, at that speed the bottom trailing edge would tend to go a bit away from upper surface ... that is it. And if the most of that piece is gone any way and you still fly it, so what is the risk? :)

My Raven is made in 1993 and Chris told me it will last for life ... (I"m 56 ...) :)

AndyJ
18-08-11, 11:42 AM
If the sail passed Betts, so I'd do like I said ... go and buy something similar and stitch it to the wing by hand or sewing machine. That is not a significant piece of wing construction. This part is in effect only in very high speeds close to VNE. It stops the bottom trailing edge from changing airfloil. I'm flying the same wing (Raven X 447) and have looked at wing attidute during high speed. I'd dive down at 90 mph and looked what is happening with the wing. So, at that speed the bottom trailing edge would tend to go a bit away from upper surface ... that is it. And if the most of that piece is gone any way and still fly it, so what is the risk? :)

My Raven is made in 1993 and Chris told me it will last for life ... (I"m 56 ...) :)

Perfect information, thank you!

Sam
18-08-11, 11:46 AM
My Raven is made in 1993 and Chris told me it will last for life

Or maybe just 30 seconds short of life !! ;-)

Kestutis
18-08-11, 11:48 AM
Perfect information, thank you!

You are welcome any time :)

P.S. Would be nice to keep in touch ... if you fly Raven, you must be a good man :) My e-mail address is zelnysk@hotmail.com

Kestutis
18-08-11, 11:49 AM
Or maybe just 30 seconds short of life !! ;-)

Who cares ... :)

paramotorpilot
18-08-11, 12:58 PM
Andy, you could try http://www.ripair.com/ for information.
I would warn you their price for a paraglider wing inspection was 3 times the cost I paid at the manufacturers:-o

Cheers,
Alan