PDA

View Full Version : polish for screens

Rog
22-09-11, 23:08 PM
I am looking for something to clean my thrusters plastic screens, I have some light scratches over the entire surface which are particularly annoying as the sun gets lower in the sky. Has anyone had any look with removing swirl scratches from this sort of screen. Replacing them is an expensive option.

I have seen Novus Plaastic Polish on various websites but dont know if anyone on here has used it or got any other product they may recommend.

Gentreau
23-09-11, 07:26 AM
Can't you replace the screens yourself with plexiglass?

When I enquired with the manufacturer of my Guepy, he basically said:
"Go buy a sheet of UV treated 2mm plexiglass, remove the old screen and use it as a template, use a hair dryer to heat it for the bends"
Or would that be verboten in the UK ?

RichardP
23-09-11, 07:29 AM
Can't you replace the screens yourself with plexiglass?

When I enquired with the manufacturer of my Guepy, he basically said:
"Go buy a sheet of UV treated 2mm plexiglass, remove the old screen and use it as a template, use a hair dryer to heat it for the bends"
Or would that be verboten in the UK ?

Hahah :D only if you tell :rofl::rofl:

/me hides

Sam
23-09-11, 08:10 AM
That heating with a hairdryer is optimistic !!

I ve recently bought a new upper & lower screen for the Quik. Has anybody noticed how every Quik over a year old (many less than a year) has crazing (read small cracks) developing.

The lower screen usually at the bottom front and the upper screen around the securing holes.

I always leave the top screen outer two fixings undone to reduce the stress but it hasn't helped elsewhere.

Im trying to locate a damaged front pod that I can fit the new screens to and heat treat so this doesn't happen in future. I have access to a very big oven which I plan to insert whole assembly to stress relieve in the hope it doesn't happen again.

Bit of a design issue / money spinner me thinks !

goldrush
23-09-11, 09:09 AM
Not certain of the Thruster screen, but in general, the "heating with a hairdryer" is primarily to stress relieve the material after "bending/fixing".

Incedentally, lack of stress relief causes crazing, as does overtight fixings or lack of clearance around them

Unless double curvatures are involved, 1.5 and 2mm will "bend" at room temperature over the radii generally used for screens/canopies, although a hot day is better.
Problem is that restricts us to 1 day a year:-)

Sorry Sam.. did not notice that you hade mentioned stress relief in your post.
Please put it down to yet another "Senior Moment"

spear
23-09-11, 09:18 AM

I ve recently bought a new upper & lower screen for the Quik. Has anybody noticed how every Quik over a year old (many less than a year) has crazing (read small cracks) developing.

The lower screen usually at the bottom front and the upper screen around the securing holes.

I always leave the top screen outer two fixings undone to reduce the stress but it hasn't helped elsewhere.

Im trying to locate a damaged front pod that I can fit the new screens to and heat treat so this doesn't happen in future. I have access to a very big oven which I plan to insert whole assembly to stress relieve in the hope it doesn't happen again.

How much for the new screens Sam? Assume you purchased from P&M

woodysr2
23-09-11, 09:27 AM
Do you guys leave your machines rigged full time or do you have to remove the wing after flight? as I would imagine that the constant bending and unbending of the screen would be more the reason for the stress marks than leaving it on and under tension as surely this would cause the screen to take a set to that particular shape.
I had to have a new top screen fitted after damaging mine in Ireland(note to self do not park trike on its side) and it was obviously more expensive than buying a sheet of lexan but it meant I did not have to try and put the bends in for wind deflection and drill the holes in exactly the right place for the fasteners so to my mind a better idea all round
I will check invoice for costs later

Sam
23-09-11, 10:15 AM
How much for the new screens Sam? Assume you purchased from P&M

I think it was about 150-160, that was for the kit. Top & bottom screens, all rubber trims for top screen and pod up onto bottom screen, plastic fixings for lower screen and upper screen mounting bracket.

I didn't think it was too bad, you can buy the parts individually.

As I said I havent put them on yet because I want to find someway of mounting them in position and then heat treating. Otherwise there going to be cracking in 6 months.

So has anyone got a knackered Quik pod ??? Pleasy ??

P Kelsey
23-09-11, 11:24 AM
http://www.glasstechnics.co.uk/plastic_DIY.htm will solve the problem with a bit of grafting, equally just buy the bits you need from http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Micro_Mesh_Abrasives_1.html this stuff certainly works.

I am looking for something to clean my thrusters plastic screens, I have some light scratches over the entire surface which are particularly annoying as the sun gets lower in the sky. Has anyone had any look with removing swirl scratches from this sort of screen. Replacing them is an expensive option.

I have seen Novus Plaastic Polish on various websites but dont know if anyone on here has used it or got any other product they may recommend.

Ted Snook
23-09-11, 11:30 AM
When you do replace your Screen rog, make sure that you do it with Polycarbonate, then you can forget all that 'Hair dryer' stuff. Suitable trade names are Plexiglass, Lexan, Makrilon etc.
Acylic plastic is a cheap alternative and has no place on a flying machine - it will stress crack when bent.
You can expect to pay around 24 a sq metre and you can get it from;

www.polycarbonateshop.co.uk

http://www.polycarbonateshop.co.uk/Solid_%20Polycarbonate_%20Sheet/2mm_Polycarbonate_Sheet?product_id=300

Sam
23-09-11, 12:22 PM
Polycarbonate will also stress crack if not heat treated, as per my current screens ! Wont shatter as acrylic, and totally agree no place for acrylic in the air !

Skyservant
23-09-11, 22:09 PM
My screen is beautiful in my newly acquired Thruster which I bought today:inlove:

P Kelsey
23-09-11, 22:11 PM
Spill the beans ;-) which one did you buy ?

My screen is beautiful in my newly acquired Thruster which I bought today:inlove:

Skyservant
23-09-11, 22:16 PM
:rofl: I Knew you would be the 1st to want to know. G-OBAX:thumbup:Lets hope she's a good'un hey.

P Kelsey
23-09-11, 22:45 PM
I am sure you know why I asked ;-) :halofell:

:rofl: I Knew you would be the 1st to want to know. G-OBAX:thumbup:Lets hope she's a good'un hey.

Skyservant
23-09-11, 22:53 PM
:shrug:no?
Anyway Im sick that I have to work in Spain 'til Wednesday so I cant sit in it and make aeroplane noises or spend my 1st week tarting her up:cry:

Rog
24-09-11, 11:06 AM
thanks guys, I don't know what kind of plastic thruster use on their screens, I'll have to ring them and find out. As for dealing with it, I may try the system as mantioned by P Kelsey.

as for Skyservant, nice lookng machine but not hte fastiest colour as everyone knows that blue thrusters are the quickest ;)

Skyservant
24-09-11, 11:15 AM
thanks guys, I don't know what kind of plastic thruster use on their screens, I'll have to ring them and find out. As for dealing with it, I may try the system as mantioned by P Kelsey.

as for Skyservant, nice lookng machine but not hte fastiest colour as everyone knows that blue thrusters are the quickest ;)

:-D As a Leeds United fan, buying a 'red' one was painful!

Rog
24-09-11, 11:27 AM
:-D As a Leeds United fan, buying a 'red' one was painful!

buying blue was difficult for me as a Forest fan. But nothing compared to having the wally with the brolly in charge. :protest:

I note yours is a Jabiru, mines the 582, I don't think theres much difference between performance maybe a subject for another thread.

P Kelsey
24-09-11, 11:29 AM
I agree that Blue Thrusters are quicker than Red ones in Flight, it is just a shame Red ones sell quicker than Blue ones. I am sure Skyservant will enjoy his Red Thruster although he will get upset if he gets overtaken by a Blue Thruster
:think:

Skyservant
24-09-11, 12:35 PM
:shhh:Shhhhh! I can see me repainting it before Im allowed to fly it now :think:

Skyservant
24-09-11, 12:48 PM
Oh and Rog, Malcolm and Greg from Thruster are delivering mine this afternoon, I shall ask them what the material spec is they use and what they recommend for cleaning. I know all our pilots use cheap furniture polish from Lidl on ours which is what I use to use on my motorbike and helmet visors.
LAS do a range of cleaners, such as Peek, Brillianize, Plexus and Greygate. They also do the micromesh scratch remover kits which I once saw an engineer use and the end result was incredible albeit a long laborious task!

Kestutis
25-09-11, 05:16 AM

Not really ... I went through that ... My friend owns wrkshop and makes those nice bubles for soaring planes. So, I asked him to make a nice, screen for me. He made ... entire screen vas almost mat :(

Problem is that we use polycarbonate. The polycarbonate absorbs moisture. So, the moisture would try to evaporate when heated and will create lots of micro-bubles in the screen. All those bike helmet visors are usualy made by the same factory which makes sheets of polycarbonate, or after very short time when those sheets were prduced and had no time to absorb significant amount of water. Or you have to dry your screen same as wood should be dried and using the same technology.

Plexyglass doesn't absorb moisture, but it cracs and brakes into very sharp pieces and could injure you, or even kill in an event of accident. My friend had such an accident and broken plexyglass piece cut his finger very badly and another piece almost vent into his body - it was sharp like a knife.

I have seen somebody polishing polycarbonate screen with something, but he never told me what it was ... :(