PDA

View Full Version : MW6 S/T Any experience?

Rusty
25-09-11, 10:38 AM
Hi
I have been watching AFORS for a while now and been considering buying or building an MW6.

Have any users here had any experience of these aircrafts? What guidance or advice would you offer?

Regards,
Rusty

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

damienair
10-10-11, 11:39 AM
Hi Rusty,

I have never flown a MW6 myself, however a friend of mine has, his reports are that they are fantastic fun to fly. Like all kit builds, they are probably only as good as their builder. They look to me like great fun. I would advise to pick one up second hand from AFORS, if you build yourself it will take time and you may never see a return if you were to sell. The second hand Market is full of these older machines. Put the word out that you are looking for one, you never know you just might get a bargain from someone who knows someone whom just may have a MW6 sitting in the back of a hanger.
Good luck,

Damien.

Paul Dewhurst
10-10-11, 12:22 PM
They are a great sturdy, simple British design.

Side by sie might seem the one to go for, but has a very poor glide and is very power hungry. Tandem is better in that regard, but quite cramped for the rear seat occupant, and a bit of a fiddle to get in and out of.

Handling qualities are a bit of an aquired taste. A bit slow in roll, and quite heavy but twitchy with it in pitch. not difficult with a bit of acclimatisation, but quite a cultural shift if you are used to the latest generation of sanitised 'fly themselves' close cockpit trainers. good short field performers - but 582/ 532 is really required - a bit flat in the climb department with a 503, unless you fly mainly solo.

There is an enthusiastic owners group, with a particular collection at Otherton. See www.mwclub.org

Spares are super cheap - but only so because you have to supply the labour to make them! ( although sometimes spares do come up from part finished projects)

Suits an enthusiastic back to basics aviator, with engineering skills. no so good if you are just a 'consumer' and just want to fly and not be involved in maintenance, as it can get very expensive and time consuming if you are paying engineers to both make and fit parts.

There are a number of examples out there built by engineers with exquisite workmanship, and some rather less so, as you might expect form a plans built aircraft.

They generally sell for very little money and you are getting a lot of labour and love for it. Good basic fun flying.

Paul

Terry Viner
10-10-11, 18:15 PM
Paul, You need to keep up with the stats, The latest 6s now has Tail fin and Rudder and also hinged elevators as well,

TV

Terry Viner
10-10-11, 18:18 PM
Forgot to mention that I owned a MW6s (G-MYIE) and had a fully enclosed cockpit on it which I got passed throught the PFA as was and got the MAUW increased to 415kg.

TV

Paul Dewhurst
10-10-11, 18:45 PM
Paul, You need to keep up with the stats, The latest 6s now has Tail fin and Rudder and also hinged elevators as well,

TV

A very worthwhile improvement I would reckon, and I know there has been talk of it for along time - any feedback on how well it works?

Paul

Rusty
20-01-12, 23:44 PM
Terry,

I'm interested in the fully enclosed cockpit, how did you fabricate that?

Rusty.