PDA

View Full Version : runway numbers

Valkyrie
28-09-11, 20:39 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is some convention regarding the numbering of runways?

I have seen airfields with three runways numbered something like 29 or 25 or 7, why not just 1,2 and 3?

Where's the other 28!!

:shrug:

Valkyrie

jjones
28-09-11, 20:43 PM
it indicates the magnetic direction of the runway.

e.g. runway 26 is 260 degrees, the other end of this example runway would be 180 degreees away (as it is a straight line) and will therefore be 08 (080 degrees) so this example would nearly be an east-west runway.

VinceG
28-09-11, 20:48 PM
Next time you are going in to land have a look at the compass. If you are landing on 24 the compass should be reading somewhere near 240 degrees etc.

Valkyrie
28-09-11, 21:05 PM
it indicates the magnetic direction of the runway.

e.g. runway 26 is 260 degrees, the other end of this example runway would be 180 degreees away (as it is a straight line) and will therefore be 08 (080 degrees) so this example would nearly be an east-west runway.

Aha!!
the penny drops:doh:
didn't occur to me that it was an abbreviated compass heading.

Thanks for that.

Valkyrie

Valkyrie
28-09-11, 21:10 PM
Next time you are going in to land have a look at the compass. If you are landing on 24 the compass should be reading somewhere near 240 degrees etc.

I'm still trying to get up for a second flight Vince,
I have had two cancellations on account of the weather and my third for next Wednesday doesn't look too good either!
God, even diving wasn't THIS weather dependent.

Thanks for the info though.

Valkyrie

P.s.
booked another 5 lessons on the assumption half will be cancelled,
surely my hit rate can only improve!

Gentreau
28-09-11, 21:18 PM

In fact that is one of the standard checks you should make before landing at an airfield...
If you were expecting to find a runway 12/30 and you find a 09/27 maybe you're not where you think you are.......

The other part of the numbering is when you have a large airport, where there are more than one runway in the same direction,
then they are numbered left, centre, right. Example 28L 28C and 28R.

Valkyrie
28-09-11, 21:23 PM
In fact that is one of the standard checks you should make before landing at an airfield...
If you were expecting to find a runway 12/30 and you find a 09/27 maybe you're not where you think you are.......

The other part of the numbering is when you have a large airport, where there are more than one runway in the same direction,

Thanks for that, stored for future use :>)

Valkyrie

Irishmicro
28-09-11, 21:53 PM

I didn't know this either, it would be a very busy airfield

VinceG
28-09-11, 22:21 PM
Valkyrie, where are you learning to fly?

Pilots at Rufforth take the students flying and take half the fuel costs,
everyones a winner :-)

Sam
28-09-11, 22:26 PM
Absolutely, always looking for new students to terrorise ! ;-)

Valkyrie
28-09-11, 22:38 PM
Valkyrie, where are you learning to fly?

Pilots at Rufforth take the students flying and take half the fuel costs,
everyones a winner :-)

I appreciate the offer guys but I am based near Edinburgh, Rufforth may be quite a journey :>)

Valkyrie

Gentreau
28-09-11, 22:41 PM
I didn't know this either, it would be a very busy airfield

And if there's more than three then the number gets incremented by one even though the actual QFUs are the same.
Take a look at the plan of Dallas Fort Worth which has 5 aligned runways 36L, 36R, 35L, 35C, 35R
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/DFW_diagram.gif

Irishmicro
29-09-11, 08:42 AM
And if there's more than three then the number gets incremented by one even though the actual QFUs are the same.
Take a look at the plan of Dallas Fort Worth which has 5 aligned runways 36L, 36R, 35L, 35C, 35R
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/DFW_diagram.gif

That is just mental, imagine how frustrating that would be for the tower operators :oops:

Gentreau
29-09-11, 08:59 AM
That is just mental, imagine how frustrating that would be for the tower operators :oops:

Not really, there's three towers. They operate different parts of the airfield.
The departure and approach control are split into four zones with routings over particular reporting points.

Funnily enough, the safest way to get from the east side of the zone to the west or vice-versa, is straight over the top of the airfield at 2000 or 2500 ft (depending on heading). !

Irishmicro
29-09-11, 09:08 AM
Its just I'm reading up for my RT and its still a bit of brain overload for me, 3 towers would help take the pressure of the workload.

FlyingBrian
30-09-11, 00:08 AM
As the Alphabet Challenge 2012 is all about runway numbers, this was a very good post, thanks

When pilots and air traffic controllers refer to a runway, they use only the number that applies to the end the pilot will be landing on. Thus if the pilot is landing on Runway 09/27 heading to the east, they are using Runway 09, not Runway 27.

Examples

If the compass heading of a runway is 122 you would round it down to 120 and drop the last digit, leaving you with 12. Thus it is called Runway 12/30.

If the compass heading of a runway is 37, you would round it up to 40 and drop the last digit, leaving you with 4. Since this is a single digit, you add a zero to the beginning, giving you 04. Thus it is called Runway 04/22.

Reciprocal Runway Numbers

North/East end South/West end
01 19
02 20
03 21
04 22
05 23
06 24
07 25
08 26
09 27
10 28
11 29
12 30
13 31
14 32
15 33
16 34
17 35
18 36

Gentreau
30-09-11, 06:36 AM
And don't forget those are Magnetic headings.
Here in the S.Pacific the variation is 12-E which means that the runway at Noumea Magenta which is aligned almost exactly north-south on the map, actually has runway numbers 17/35

That also means that sometimes runway numbers can change as the magnetic pole moves around and the variation changes.

Rick Goddin
30-09-11, 08:27 AM
......snipped..............

Funnily enough, the safest way to get from the east side of the zone to the west or vice-versa, is straight over the top of the airfield at 2000 or 2500 ft (depending on heading). !

On a more modest scale the same applies to Luton airport.

This week I have made four VFR transits through the Luton control zone, cleared below 2000 feet, north-south over their 08/26 runway, right over the top of the airport and routed over their landing threshold. This amounted to three crossings over 08 and one over 26 threshold. An awesome sight to see airbuses etc taking off and landing directly underneath. I made my crossings at around 1200 feet altitude, which is only 700 feet or so above ground level.

Rick

jjones
30-09-11, 10:55 AM
Sounds like fun Rick. Those airliners must look huge from that view point

P Kelsey
30-09-11, 11:09 AM
To make the Challenge more interesting I think that if for example you use 01 at Eshott for your '01' then you cannot use 19 at Eshott as your '19' I would also like to see it put into the rules that any airfield used for a landing can only be used once in the competition. This will make it more of a contest as if this wasn't applied it would be easy to fly to somewhere like Ashcroft and then gain 4 runways on a still air day. I am assuming that in the 36 landings you also have to get the Alphabet letters as well ?

Rick Goddin
30-09-11, 11:31 AM
Sounds like fun Rick. Those airliners must look huge from that view point

Before my license was restricted on medical grounds to Group 1 only, I used to take non-pilot friends regularly on that transit. There was universal amazement that we could do this kind of thing.

Even though I've now done it loads of times I'm still surprised each time. Yesterday I heard ATC telling a Monarch (airbus I think) on a four mile final that he should look out for a Skyranger crossing the 26 threshold northbound at low level - I thought...hey, that's me, and put a bit more throttle on!

It does impose quite a high RT load though.

Rick