PDA

View Full Version : Tst screen replacement

jjones
06-05-12, 12:45 PM
To replace the screen on a tst do you need to source the plexiglass from thruster or will another supplier be acceptable (or would this be a mod that needs approval?)

What thickness is the standard screen 1.5 or 2mm?

Anyone replaced a screen and have any tips?

MadamBreakneck
07-05-12, 10:39 AM
Try asking here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thrusterclub/

It's run by Mark Jones of Galaxy Microlights. He's a BMAA inspector and he's restored lots of Thrusters.

Plenty of other Thruster afficionados on there too.

Joan

Sean Dougan
07-05-12, 22:05 PM
Just replaced my screen. Just got a sheet of polycarbonate mail-ordered from Barkston (their The Plastic People webshop) and laid the old screen on top for a template. It pops flat when removed. Use the old screen as a drilling jig for getting the bolt holes correct.

3mm thick and you don't get much left over from a 2050x1250 sheet. Has to be poly, not acrylic.

MadamBreakneck
08-05-12, 10:15 AM
3mm thick and you don't get much left over from a 2050x1250 sheet. Has to be poly, not acrylic.

3mm sounds heavy to me. The T600 uses 2mm to he best of my recollection.

Of course, TSTs have been around long enough that all sorts of unofficial changes might have occured over the life of any individual craft...

Joan

Sean Dougan
08-05-12, 21:16 PM
Of course, TSTs have been around long enough that all sorts of unofficial changes might have occured over the life of any individual craft...

Joan

Ha, this is true.

I went with a like for like replacement. Figuring that as Rod Humphries used to service and inspect the craft before I got my paws on it, then that was the best bet.
Was wary of fitting anything less partly because I'd had a few rides in a 600 that possibly has too thin a screen - as it got to cruising speed, a section directly in front would invert.

GalaxyUL260i
08-05-12, 21:51 PM
Woho !! 3mm !! Thats way to thick for the TST and its Mega heavy too.

It should be 1.5 mm on the screen for a TST / T300

T600 is 2mm as Joan said.

Regards
Mark Jones
Galaxy Microlights

jjones
08-05-12, 22:04 PM
thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated

Sean Dougan
09-05-12, 00:01 AM
Woho !! 3mm !! Thats way to thick for the TST and its Mega heavy too.

It should be 1.5 mm on the screen for a TST / T300

Thanks, Mark, for the definitive answer.
Dang, I could have shaved some weight off if I'd known this a few weeks ago. :roll:
Oh well, I'll add a note to the manual to size down if it ever needs changing again.