PDA

View Full Version : Given Up............

Russp
17-07-12, 20:28 PM
waiting for the weather to allow me to get my second qualifying cross country flight in and put in for my restricted licence today on the basis my Instructor will be away for 5 weeks after this weekend. Disappointed as I REALLY didn't want a restricted licence but it'll happen eventually, frustrated because navigation is probably my strongest area and the weather looks like it'll clear next week a week too late...

Parky
17-07-12, 21:22 PM
Dont lose heart,have a chat with your instructor and see if he knows another instructor mate who could take over so you could get it done.I'm sure he wouldn't mind if it means you don't go backwards with the paperwork due to time limits.
If he doesnt know of someone then I'm sure if he's a great guy he won't mind you going somewhere else temporary and if he did then it would be rare as most instructors seem good guys and gals.Don't lose heart and give up because ultimately you are in control up there and you'll have to be self reliant so just because he's not around for 5 weeks doesn't change anything if you want it go out and get it yourself.Just don't give up and remember the harder it is now the sweeter it is when you earn the prize your aiming for.
Parky...

Parky
17-07-12, 21:31 PM
I've just looked on G info and seen your plane was first owned by a hangar mate of mine (kev armstrong).
If you give up We'll all come down and move in your garden and claim squatters rites till you start flying again.

Katie
17-07-12, 22:43 PM
Nothing wrong with getting the restricted license first (I did :) ) I'm surprised more people don't do it rather than have solo hours go out of date.

MadamBreakneck
18-07-12, 10:57 AM
I agree entirely with Katie. Put in for your restricted licence as soon as you've met the requirements, and stop the clock on your exams and solos. You'll be a licenced pilot and you'll be able to fly without asking an instructor's permission. You'll be able to carry passengers.

There is no shame in going via restricted and there is no time limit (upper or lower) on when you put in for 'removal of restrictions'.

Joan

PS. Congratulations on qualifying :-)

jonkil
18-07-12, 11:17 AM
waiting for the weather to allow me to get my second qualifying cross country flight in and put in for my restricted licence today on the basis my Instructor will be away for 5 weeks after this weekend. Disappointed as I REALLY didn't want a restricted licence but it'll happen eventually, frustrated because navigation is probably my strongest area and the weather looks like it'll clear next week a week too late...
I'm afraid that the weather is the only variable we cant call and this inevitably leads to frustration. From experience, its one thing you will come to live with and plan around. We have been caught in bad weather many times when away, usually on long trips, sometimes for days on end and you must try and use your head over all else and not make a bad call as it can be a life threatening situation.
We have made a "bad call" on occasion and lived to tell the tale. I know that does not relate to you directly just yet, but it will.
Relax and enjoy, it will be all the sweeter when it sorts itself out.

Paul Leigh
18-07-12, 13:58 PM
5 weeks? Jeez thats a pig of a wait.

Alternatively, you could go out to GB in Portugal, take the entire syllabus with all 25 hours and more, pass the GST and do all exams and still have 3 weeks left. If you're at 2nd nav, a few days is all you'd really need.

Rick Moss
18-07-12, 20:06 PM
Doesn't he shut for 3 months around now because of the winds?

Russp
18-07-12, 20:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments...restricted licence will (hopefully) be here in two or three weeks and there is another instructor who may be around to supervise a nav ex so it may not be so bad, going elsewhere isn't an option as I'd have to trailer the plane with it's adaptions and it's just not worth the hassle. In hindsight should have applied for restricted as soon as I passed GST but hindsight is a wonderful thing......

peterbaldwin21958
11-11-12, 15:48 PM
Do you have to wait till you get your restricted licence back as technically doing your nav you are under instruction? or would the distance limit stop you from doing it?

Pete

Russp
11-11-12, 19:28 PM
Not sure quite what you're asking... can do the Nav ex before restricted licence comes back as like you say you're under instruction, until licence is in your gubby mitts you can only fly under supervision.

peterbaldwin21958
11-11-12, 19:54 PM
Not sure quite what you're asking... can do the Nav ex before restricted licence comes back as like you say you're under instruction, until licence is in your gubby mitts you can only fly under supervision.

Yes but would that include the 2 solo nav flights you have to do? as these would take you more than 8 miles from your take off field.

Mick_Sanderson
11-11-12, 20:42 PM
Yes but would that include the 2 solo nav flights you have to do? as these would take you more than 8 miles from your take off field.

Pete don't worry about it, your solo navs are still under the supervision of an instructor so your fine to continue, as long as your log book is back from the BMAA along with your medical cert'your fine to continue yor nav training.