PDA

View Full Version : Flex-wing to 3 Axis rule.

Max
05-02-09, 11:38 AM
If you currently have a Flex-wing or 3 Axis license you can switch it to the other license by doing a 5 hour conversion license.

Max

Polski
05-02-09, 14:49 PM
Is that a MINIMUM of 5 hours Max as last year I did 8 hours with Mainair at Barton until Marcus (instructor) and myself were happy with all aspects of the conversion. We covered the entire syllabus and a few extras like 'sideslips' and 'fish tails'.
Ade 8-)

Max
05-02-09, 15:00 PM
Thanks for that!

Max

Bob T
05-02-09, 16:41 PM
I have a PPL(A)M and don't have to do any conversion.

TEST PILOT
06-02-09, 21:10 PM
Strangely I don't have to do a conversion from 3 axis to Flexwing either (legally that is) but I would imagine the mess I would make would be promptly cleared away in a 'body bag' so I think I will just (a) avoid flying flexwings (b) get some flexwing tuition (c) stick to my boring enclosed 3 axis types :twisted:

Max
06-02-09, 21:34 PM
It is the law to do the conversion in the UK. I do not know about ANY other countries rules.

Max

Bob T
06-02-09, 22:59 PM
Max, that may be so now with the NPPL but it was not the case back in 1996 when I got my PPL(A)M.
I bought a Raven X (flexwing) after passing my course on the 3 axis and one day decided to fly from RAF Wyton to Chatteris airfield. I took off with a little fog around but did not change the seat to the solo position, I then found that I was climbing almost vertical on the little 447. It took about 10 minutes before I had control of the thing. I headed for Chatteris, but after about 20 minutes came to the conclusion that it would be too foggy at the destination so I turned back to find that I could not see the ground. When I got down to about 100 feet I could just see the road that I knew went past the airfield at Wyton. After passing a small junction that I recognised, I turned left which I knew would take me over the airfield. Trouble was that I had forgotten about the concrete tower that used to have the radar on top, I missed it by 20 feet off left my wingtip.
When I saw the concrete runway I landed with no problem and put the Raven away.
I didn't tell many people about what I had done, but I was back in the air within 2 days.

Polski
06-02-09, 23:28 PM
Correct me if i,m wrong but if you have a NPPL then you MUST convert and be signed off by an instructor. If you have the earlier licence I understand conversion training is only a reccomendation.
I would reccomend the former.
ADE

rogerburge
07-02-09, 13:18 PM
My NPPL states CLASS ..... "Microlight Aeroplanes (Landplanes)" .... Remarks /Restrictions "Nil".
So I am Licensed to fly all microlight landplanes!!

Am I able or proficient at weight shift and 3Axis ..... NO.
Am I even able or proficient on another type of the same variant ..... NO.

Insurance is a requirement for any flight, this is usually the reason that experience on type is required before cover is given (and the cost may well be determined by the amount of experience).

We are now required to undertake some sort of training to keep a licence current even when used to fly one type, So a shift from one type to another, even if the same variant, some training should be very highly considered by even the most experienced pilot,

Old but no Bold Pilots and all That!!!

Rog

Lord Nick
12-02-09, 19:01 PM
I did a flexwing to 3 axis conversion with Steve who's based at Wolverhampton. - Hadair. He was brill.

I have a NPPL (m) and on completion of the conversion course (where he was satified) - he signed me off.

The most concerning point i had was over the thought of cross controlling in my head as being a big problem. i think this was becuase pilots and flexwing pilots scared me in to thinking it's impossible to go from one to the other.

Since doing my conversion i've jumped in to flexwings and various airplanes and have not cross controlled at all in many conditions which ment i had to react quickly without thinking.

that all said, i have only been flying flexwings since 2007 but i did 137 hours in 2007 and upto june 2008 when i got my C42, then since then i have done 98 hours in the 3 axis todate, so all my flying although quite a few hours was over such a short time period, so i guess what these other pilots were trying to say is for someone who's been flying either type for many years might find it even more of a problem.

I hear that it's easier for someone to go form flexwing to 3 axis rather than the other way round....any thoughts on this?

Nick.

VinceG
24-02-09, 12:44 PM
Hi Nick.

I don't know about which would be the easier way to go, and there's no way of measuring it. A good instructor would be able to tell us. He who has swung one way then the other :D I'll ask JT next time I see him. :D

Condorman
10-03-09, 11:07 AM
Without wishing to sound "Obtuse" this string has early echoes of GA bureaucracy in it's tone. The sensible and common sense approach to converting to any flying machine with inherently different flying characteristics is to simply approach an organisation or person who is suitably and legally qualified to assist you. Train with them until they (and you) are satisfied that you can operate safely then carry on. The number of hours be it 5 or 50 is totally irrelevant and will ultimately be defined by your ability, so it's pointless counting. The minimums exist only for the Law's governing the sport & the paperwork required. None of us were born with wings, although the atitudes of some would suggest otherwise. An experienced and well informed chap keeps telling me..."It's all flying, enjoy the privilege"... im strongly inclined to agree.

VinceG
10-03-09, 16:54 PM
Good point. :welcomewave: