PDA

View Full Version : What's The difference between Flex-wing and 3 Axis.

Max
05-02-09, 11:48 AM
A flew wing aircraft is basically a pod with seats in it usually 2 with an engine on the back, which is held to the wing via a bolt. The flight controls are a bar:

Push forward: Up

Pull Backwards: Down

Push right: Bank left

Push Left: Bank right

Throttle: Push to go faster and climb

Picture:[attachment=1:3t2fhao3]DSCF5053.JPG[/attachment:3t2fhao3]
Aircraft shown Airbourne XT

3 Axis:

It is more like a proper plane as many would put it they are usually high winged side by side seating with an engine in the front, on the wing or pushing from behind.

They are 3 Axis as they have 3 Axis controls like a "normal" light aircraft.

Picture: [attachment=0:3t2fhao3]GetImage.aspx.jpeg[/attachment:3t2fhao3]
Aircraft shown CTsw

Max

MadamBreakneck
06-02-09, 11:25 AM
The difference between flexwing and three axis?

The Bleriot was a flexible wing three axis controlled machine. the Ballerit (or Flying Flea) is a two axis controlled machine.

The Pterodactyl is a hybrid machine with a mixture of aerodynamic controls and weightshift.

But basically, yes, a flexwing microlight is typically a flying wing machine controlled by a mixture of weight shift and wing warping operated directly by the pilot. Three axis machines are typically controlled by aerodynamic control surfaces operated through rods, cables and pulleys, by the pilot using conveniently placed control levers.

Fixed wing (or three-axis) microlights have a very wide variety of form and appearance and performance: monoplanes, biplanes, single seat, tandem two seat, side-by-side two seat, open cockpit, closed cockpit; there's even a twin-engine open cockpit single-seater (do a search for 'Lazair')

This page gives some idea of the variety
http://www.microlight.org.uk/listaircraft.php?type=3axis
but note that not all of them are certified for use in the UK (but that's another question!)

Joan
http://www.bmaa.org/forums/emoticons/smurf.gif

ravenmad
06-02-09, 18:06 PM
Well Its mostly the Girlys that Fly 3 axis and the Boys fly weight shift cos us boys are tuff I think thats the right way round, but i might be wrong

Tongue in cheek again
CJD :lol: :lol:

dont all throw your toys out of your prams all at once will you ???

Wexfordair
06-02-09, 20:11 PM
Is that CJD causing trouble here already????
Hey Chris, Is that why you got into that SLA thingy then :lol:
Hurry up and get that AV8R up and running with a 70hp HKS fuel injected engine will you please!

Cheers,
Henry.

Polski
06-02-09, 23:05 PM
Well Its mostly the Girlys that Fly 3 axis and the Boys fly weight shift cos us boys are tuff I think thats the right way round, but i might be wrong

Tongue in cheek again

As I have both ratings on my licence does it mean I is a batty man?
Ade
dont knock it till you've tried it !!!!!

ewok
08-02-09, 17:22 PM
Only two Polski, surely you should go for the tail wheel conversion ? Only then can you brag.

Ewok ;)

Polski
08-02-09, 17:55 PM
What will that make me ? :shock:
ade

ravenmad
12-02-09, 19:08 PM
Is that CJD causing trouble here already????
Hey Chris, Is that why you got into that SLA thingy then :lol:
Hurry up and get that AV8R up and running with a 70hp HKS fuel injected engine will you please!

Cheers,
Henry.

Im talking about it with Con

ravenmad
12-02-09, 19:09 PM
But its true Girlys mostly fly them 3 Axis thingys :lol: :roll: :ugeek: :geek: :lol: :lol:

ravenmad
12-02-09, 19:12 PM

Tongue in cheek again

Ade
dont knock it till you've tried it !!!!!

I DONT KNOW ARE YOU :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

catchacloud
25-02-09, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

I teach people to fly both and in my opinion for what it's worth it's easier to teach someone to fly a flexwing purely on the basis it's easier to understand and feel what's going on, however it's much harder to fly a flexwing accuratly and with precision.

Phil Perry
23-10-09, 16:38 PM
OOOOOPS - Er Ade,. . . .

You'll have to cahnge the aircraft reg in your " HI - HO" line now you've flogged it ! ! ! !

Phil P.

Phil Perry
02-04-11, 18:31 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more on your comment re flexwing being more difficult to teach Gord, Sorry sir ...

There are differences I agree, but these are very difficult to quantify to a point where anyone could seriously state that because of this, one is easier than the other to teach to an ab initio student. . ?

We've seen this discussion for many years, and it has been done to death with no firm outcome. Personally I LOVE flying both disciplines, ( as well as rotary wing ) and have done for many years... and thus far, I've seen no empirical evidence to suggest that any / either is more or less difficult that the other when correct teaching methods per discipline are correctly applied.

Vive La Difference !!

Phil

NigelJ
02-04-11, 18:44 PM
A second-hand flex is about 2-3K and a 3-axis 20K or more - that's the difference! And if you have to put a flex down in an emergency at least you can pack it up and trailer it home, not so easy with a C42 for example. Asking someone which is better is a bt like asking them which football club is better...

Katie
02-04-11, 18:58 PM
This thread goes back a long way...

A second-hand flex is about 2-3K and a 3-axis 20K or more

Thats comparing an older 462 or 503 flex with a 912 three axis. Start comparing like with like engine wise and 3 axis tends to be double the flex wing equivalent....plus double the hangerage costs as well :(

Carl Bayliss
02-04-11, 19:43 PM
Fixed wings can be de-rigged onto a trailer, I have done it quite a few times, the last time being Monday just gone when I had an engine failure in a three axis :)

MadamBreakneck
02-04-11, 19:55 PM
if you don't mind single-seat, you can get airworthy 3-axis stuff for less than 3k
eg currently on AFORS http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=18789&imid=0

Joan

P Kelsey
02-04-11, 20:22 PM
What about http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=18814&imid=0 this is under 3k and a far better buy ;-)

if you don't mind single-seat, you can get airworthy 3-axis stuff for less than 3k
eg currently on AFORS http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=18789&imid=0

Joan

Katie
02-04-11, 20:32 PM
Monday just gone when I had an engine failure in a three axis :)

Hmm? Do tell.....

spear
02-04-11, 22:49 PM
What's the difference......

Well, Flexwing Aircraft are certainly cheaper to own & run, and have a climb performance that will make your eyes POP out. In fact, the overall performance of some of the latest machines is truly unbelievable, and can certainly give the 3axis big boys a good run for their money.

However, like all things in life it all comes down to personally choice, and of course the bank.

One thing is certain though (for me anyway), you get a much bigger smile from a flex!

Also, Max said

"Push forward: Up"
"Pull Backwards: Down"

I once thought this and was quite rightly re-educated, i.e.

Bar forward: increased AOA, decrease in speed
Bar Back: Decrease in AOA, increased speed

Sorry to be picky, just something that has stuck in my mind.

Bob T
02-04-11, 23:13 PM
Spear, that is because you are part of the machine when flying a flex and sitting in one in a 3 axis. When I move my bar I know which way the wing will move by instinct. Before you say it I was also a 3 axis and a group A pilot once.

willjohnh
03-04-11, 00:05 AM
I think both (Spear and Max) are correct with regards to bar in and out but I'm happy to be corrected. Spear with regards to the primary effect of pitch - the angle of attack does increase and decrease speed and power controls ascent and descent but I think Max is also not incorrect when it comes to the immediate effect of bar control. If travelling at a reasonable speed and pushing the bar out, you will gain height without needing to increase power but the effect will be short-lived unless power is also applied and you risk a stall. The round-out is, I think, an example of this - no power is applied but you move from a descent to (hopefully) level flight by pushing the bar forward. As I said, I might be talking s**te but this is how I see it.

Condorman
03-04-11, 07:49 AM

Not often i laugh out loud at stuff i read on here but that tickled...really funny mate!
"Ali G on Microlight Aircraft" in all that Gangstar Clobber...now that would be worth a watch.