PDA

View Full Version : New BioniX 13 wing

Bob T
08-08-12, 15:24 PM
Aircreation has just announced the BioniX 13 wing for the Tanarg and the Skypper, see my blog at http://aircreationtanarg.wordpress.com/ for more information.
Not sure if Paul Dewhurst will consider importing it as it is a commercial decision for him to make, and there seems to be little demand in the UK.

SteveTurnbull
08-08-12, 17:59 PM
Bob,

I think it's your duty to make the effort, get down there and give the best comparison you can. A taster flight at a show may not give a true review, but you have enough hours on your 15 to be able to give a comparison?

I'll be looking to upgrade my blade next year and who knows.......

dave nixon
09-08-12, 22:57 PM
I call em honda goldwing of microllights Steve would like a bash in one too,we best go to pauls for test flight.

Bob T
10-08-12, 07:21 AM
Just go to Blois and you will get a test flight on the 13, just speak to Jean-Luc at the AC stand. Paul should have a Bionix 15 for test flying but not a 13 (yet).

SteveTurnbull
10-08-12, 08:54 AM
Would like to Bob, but not until I'm genuinely interested in upgrading. Had a recent offer to fly a GTR Explorer, but said no as I love my Blade currently and don't want to be tempted until I can afford to upgrade.

Sam
10-08-12, 09:37 AM
Thats what banks are for Steve ;-)

Like your Honda analogy Dave,

Goldwing - Tanarg (Slow and cumbersome but comfortable)
Fireblade - Quik (Quick and agile)
Blackbird - QuikR (Kin quick in a straight line)

SteveTurnbull
10-08-12, 11:41 AM
Thats what banks are for Steve ;-)

Like your Honda analogy Dave,

Goldwing - Tanarg (Slow and cumbersome but comfortable)
Fireblade - Quik (Quick and agile)
Blackbird - QuikR (Kin quick in a straight line)

So what does that make my Blade then? ZX6R? Fast in it's day, but not competitive against a Quik?

Think this could deserve a new thread, would be interesting to see Flex/Bike comparisons and 3-Axis/cars!

dave nixon
10-08-12, 11:56 AM
Hey Sam i had a BSA A10 Road rocket in the sixties max 120 ,so i would never get on a modern bike ,so Tanarg sounds like my type of aircraft,Steve that makes your'e Blade a Norton SS[they were nice] did Box hill 25 mins from ace cafe on one

Bob T
10-08-12, 12:13 PM
Had loads of bikes, but had to sell the BMW R1100S's a couple of years ago. Last week the wife bought herself a BMW F800ST, she thinks that it is more relaxing and usable than the Blackbird that she used to own.
You have to be careful comparing flexies when you mention the Tanarg as performance depends on which wing is fitted, the new Bionix 13 is said to cruise at 94 mph (150 kmh) hands off, I would not call that slow. The older iXess 15 was max 68 mph hands off.

Sam
10-08-12, 12:44 PM
The Bionix 13 might be interesting, the 15 is too heavy when coming from a standard Quik wing.

Is the Skypper a new trike ??

SteveTurnbull
10-08-12, 13:06 PM
You have to be careful comparing flexies when you mention the Tanarg as performance depends on which wing is fitted, the new Bionix 13 is said to cruise at 94 mph (150 kmh) hands off, I would not call that slow. The older iXess 15 was max 68 mph hands off.

So does that make the following:

Tanarg / Ixess 15 - Goldwing - (Slow and cumbersome but comfortable)
Tanarg / Bionix 13 - Turbo Goldwing with handling pack (Comfortable, Quick and agile)
Quik - Fireblade (Quick and agile)
QuikR - Blackbird (Kin quick in a straight line)

Sounds like you need to get to Blois Bob! Might cost you a wing upgrade if you do though :-)

Sam
10-08-12, 13:25 PM
I meant the original Bionix which is a 15sqm wing.

VinceG
10-08-12, 22:46 PM
Smaller wings, longer runway...

Wanafly Flyer
11-08-12, 01:56 AM
Smaller wings, longer runway...

Pilot dependant.....

goflygaz
11-08-12, 08:12 AM
Pilot dependant.....To a point, but a great pilot cannot beat the rules of physics!

VinceG
19-11-12, 20:53 PM
Any news about flylight bringing in this wing?

andy dixon
19-11-12, 23:54 PM
Just sell your wife and kids into slavery to buy a tanarg.....they'll understand....well your mates do ...so that's a start...

Paul Dewhurst
20-11-12, 12:22 PM
Any news about flylight bringing in this wing?

We are looking at it. Problem is the market is just dead here at present. new microlight sales are at an all time low. So not exactly a get rich quick scheme.

but I do have a customer for a 13, who is willing for us to use his wing for UK clearance test flying - so means we don't have to buy one ourselves - which will reduce the spend required. Currently just looking at the technical details to work out if here are any likely show stoppers or potential gotchas. but basically looks straightforward, just being a smaller sail on a resized frame.

i haven't flown one, but he currently has an iXess 13 / tanarg, which has super sweet handling, and he has flown the Bionix13 and thinks its a good upgrade.

i really like the Bionix 15 - super stable and has amazing short field performance and will fly hands off at 90mph. if the 13 has lighter handling, and faster top end, and doesn't give much short performnace away as reported, it should be quite a device.

Paul

Sam
20-11-12, 13:00 PM
i really like the Bionix 15 - super stable and has amazing short field performance and will fly hands off at 90mph.

Paul

Really ??? Did your finger slip ?? How many breeze blocks stuffed behind the nose cone ?? ;-)

Paul Dewhurst
20-11-12, 13:51 PM
Really ??? Did your finger slip ?? How many breeze blocks stuffed behind the nose cone ?? ;-)

None.

my one has max trim of around 90 solo. of course that is with a lot of power and consequent fuel use, but trimmer is powerful, so no problem selecting a hands off speed. Max chat is just abit faster circa 95 with some back pressure needed. For a more relaxed cruise I reckon 75-80 is more comfortable. of course best economy like all trikes is close to best Ld speed, so quite slow.

eficiency wise it's not quite as good as a GT450, which doesn't use quite so much power speed for speed But Tanarg / Bionix has other attributes. So it's good old individual choice at the ed of the day - depends what you want.

Paul

VinceG
20-11-12, 14:15 PM
Flying show... do I don't I ????

I know that If I do, which I must really, to thank everyone I meet for their support over the last weekend.

I just know I'm going to depress myself sitting in the Tanarg.

Anyone got an ipad mini? I'd like to see if I could fit one into the dash with my own custom instrumentation layout.

We have to have a dream....

I suppose I could make an ipad mini out of a cornflake packet :rofl:

Paul Dewhurst
20-11-12, 14:50 PM

pS take a look on YouTube. Type in air creation bionix, and first video up has an inflight demonstration of the corset trim system with shots of wing and cockpit simultaneously. They show a fast trim of just under 140kmh which is just shy of 90 mph.

Max trim is slightly faster solo.

Paul

VinceG
20-11-12, 15:01 PM
Can I get an ipad mini into the dashboard with analogue instruments?

I will get there one day, honest. :pray:

Paul Dewhurst
20-11-12, 16:43 PM
Can I get an ipad mini into the dashboard with analogue instruments?

I will get there one day, honest. :pray:

I am sure you could, - get a blank panel and design your own fit to include an iPad mini. If space was tight, some of the smaller diameter analogue instruments could be used if necessary.

Paul

SteveTurnbull
20-11-12, 18:45 PM
Flying show... do I don't I ????

I know that If I do, which I must really, to thank everyone I meet for their support over the last weekend.

I just know I'm going to depress myself sitting in the Tanarg.

Anyone got an ipad mini? I'd like to see if I could fit one into the dash with my own custom instrumentation layout.

We have to have a dream....

I suppose I could make an ipad mini out of a cornflake packet :rofl:

I'll have a word with Paddy. He's got both a standard iPad 2 and an iPad mini as he was checking his quantum and his new Quik dash for size.

Both cardboard variants ( the iPads not the trikes)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

VinceG
20-11-12, 19:07 PM
I'll give you a call Steve, we can meet at the Flylight stand ;-)

iPhone Tapatalk

SteveTurnbull
20-11-12, 20:31 PM
I'll check Paddy hasn't thrown away his ipads then :-)

VinceG
20-11-12, 20:54 PM
Oh, what a calamity if he has.:helpsos:

What are we going to do?:panic:

Rick Moss
20-11-12, 20:58 PM
If he has, can I have one of the charge leads? Never have enough of them!

SteveTurnbull
20-11-12, 21:02 PM
I'm sure we can make some more! Will just eat cornflakes faster!

VinceG
20-11-12, 21:03 PM
If he has, can I have one of the charge leads? Never have enough of them!

You're as daft as the rest of us :lol::rofl::rolling:

woodysr2
20-11-12, 21:19 PM
thank god for that sanity is seriously over rated
Steve if he has the new higher dash the ipad2 fits in just above the rear steering bar and clears analogue instruments but the mini will fit in even better which is why I am changing from the 2