PDA

View Full Version : Proposed rule change for cup and monkey.

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 07:25 AM
I would like to propose an additional rule for the Microlight Forum Cup and Monkey.

Katie should have a decidedly casting vote here, as it's her monkey that was requisitioned for the greater good.

Should an additional rule be introduced stating that the cup and monkey should remain together in the UK at all times?

Sam
27-09-12, 08:21 AM
I think it should stay in the UK, but even within the current rules it shouldn't have been able to make France anyway. Whos on this forum whos likely to collect it and return it to there home base in France ??

So, rules or not Rick, I dont think its going to help. Unless the holding party ensures that its only handed over to another honest forum member, which probably isnt practical.

Gentreau
27-09-12, 09:16 AM
Well, there is now at least one forum member at Abbeville. The rest of us in France could also potentially visit the UK and collect the cup too.
And what about members in Ireland ? If you limit the cup to the UK then you allow it to go to Northern Ireland but not Eire, is that the intention ?

Katie
27-09-12, 09:18 AM
I'd like to see PG stay in the UK I haven't see him for ages :(, I don't have the funds to fly to France, nor do many forumites.

I don't really mind where PG is as long as he's being well looked after (unlike his poor girlfriend who remains missing :( ) but I think we'll very soon lose track of him if it start travelling internationally.

An Anglo-French cup is good idea, needs to include something stereotypically French and English I think :)

Carl Bayliss
27-09-12, 09:36 AM
Medway cup (that I chased all over the place) issues spring to mind!

AndyJ
27-09-12, 09:39 AM
Possession is 90% of the law, the UK shores just need a stronger defence!! :f-16-021:

Gentreau
27-09-12, 09:41 AM
I'd like to see PG stay in the UK ....

Hi Katie, so are you OK with PG flying across the Irish sea but not to France ?

(UK = United Kingdom of Great Brtiain and Northern Ireland)

Bill Scott
27-09-12, 09:48 AM
I think we've all missed the real issue. If the cup is back across the oggin, it is because somebody has taken it from his base to another place. The idea is to come and get it, then somebody comes to your base to get it.
So the rules need to make it absolutely clear that it's a 'come & get it cup' Once you've collected the cup and took it home, you don't take it anywhere else. Somebody comes from elsewhere and collects it.

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 10:07 AM
The purpose of the cup is to encourage all, particularly low houred pilots, to travel to places they haven't been to before, not to simply put it somewhere out of reach to most fliers. The rules were never meant to be all-encompassing, and some (well, one so far) want to use it to show off their achievements and generally be a pain in the **** to everyone else.

The rules are, to my mind, already adequate if people stick to them and behave sensibly. If they don't, we have to change and add rules, ban people or airfields from holding it, and that's a slippery slope to abandoning it all.

If it makes an occasional trip to Mull or wherever, that's fine for me, as long as that's the home strip of whoever took it there.

Basically (Bruce); don't be a c0ck and it all works fine.

Gentreau
27-09-12, 10:08 AM
Very true Bill, the rules should be clear on that.

However the cup could still end up offshore, as there are members based in both France and Ireland who could legitimately collect the cup and take it home.
Then it would be up to someone from the mainland to come and get it.

If the members don't want the cup to leave Britain, then that should be made clear in the rules.
Let's not forget there's a difference between UK and GB.

AndyJ
27-09-12, 10:49 AM
I'd like to suggest it can't go to:

Scotland - They're a strange let with their kilts & bagpipes and all that.
Wales - A mystical celtic place, noone would ever find it again.
England - A superior lot would never let it go again.

That only leaves Ireland

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 10:57 AM
Clive, I don't really see an issue with you coming and getting it. You are a respected (?) forumite, and once it's repatriated, you're not going to immediately come and get it again. But... What if Kestutis did that and took it to Lithuania? Or the chap from Moscow? Where do you draw the line?

AndyJ
27-09-12, 11:26 AM
Clive, I don't really see an issue with you coming and getting it. You are a respected (?) forumite, and once it's repatriated, you're not going to immediately come and get it again. But... What if Kestutis did that and took it to Lithuania? Or the chap from Moscow? Where do you draw the line?

If it were to take a long trip I believe this is fine, but there does need to be a reasonable onus on the carrier to help some sort of return. I think nearly everyone here is reasonable, school classroom style rules are a little out of place.

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 11:48 AM
On the grounds that the current situation has come about by Bruce not adhering to the existing limited rules, I think you might well be right.

There will always be people who derive pleasure from aggravating others; perhaps in this instance one of his hangar mates (johnny3star or Bill) could have a friendly word? Either play the game within the rules and the spirit of the exercise, in which case participation is welcome, or just leave it alone.

Hard to think of an attitude fairer than that?

Gerard DGAC
27-09-12, 11:57 AM
A suggestion would be put geographical limitations by box section.

4 Geographical co ordinates will create your coverage area and then Bob's your uncle and Françoise's your aunt

Gentreau
27-09-12, 12:14 PM

I agree Rick, all I'm trying to say is that the members of the forum should decide what are the geographical limits
It's also important to remember that Londonderry (UK) is further from London than Les Sables d'Olonne.

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 13:33 PM
Agreed, but there's a great many forum members in that Eire, so it wouldn't get stuck there. You know it would end up at Newtownards, and then doubtless Ince; it would not get stuck for long.

If it went down your way, you and bobT would swap it about for months!

dave nixon
27-09-12, 13:50 PM
Well done Rick poll will sort out hopefully,PG is at West horndon Bruce said on the other thread ,i was going down fri but can't go till next tues so if anyone is close by can grab and make him a bit more accesable would be good.

Gentreau
27-09-12, 14:43 PM
OK, but can you change the poll to be more specific.
Technically, limiting the cup to the UK means that it can go to northern Ireland but cannot cross the border south.
Is that the intention ?

If not then the options should be:

Great Britain only
UK and Eire
No limit.

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 15:21 PM
I'm actually minded to kill the poll entirely and leave it as is, just with a request to use common sense. "If in doubt, ask" type thing. "

Carl Bayliss
27-09-12, 17:16 PM
I don't see an issue with it going to Northern Ireland, the Medway cup did...quite often.

SteveTurnbull
27-09-12, 17:58 PM
What about Wales??

I'm not there, but if I took it to Hereford, those boys from over the border could come and introduce PG to sheep!!

Bill Scott
27-09-12, 18:23 PM
Ok, here's my thoughts...

Present cup should be subject to geographical limitations: UK, Eire & Isle of Man. Not cross channel

Bruce should redeem himself by donating the new Microlight Forum Anglo-French Cup. (And behave himself in future)

No more taking the cup away from base airfield. Allow others to come & get it, as intended.

Rick Moss
27-09-12, 18:33 PM
That sounds perfect Bill, although pointless if Bruce doesn't oblige by either providing an Anglo-French object (I don't see why it needs to be a cup; indeed something of no real value but greater character might be a better idea), or more importantly if he doesn't behave in future!

That being said, if he doesn't, I really hope he likes Pizzas and Taxi's at odd hours of the night :D :D :D.

slarti
27-09-12, 18:41 PM
What about Wales??

I'm not there, but if I took it to Hereford, those boys from over the border could come and introduce PG to sheep!!

It's ok Steve.. got some small wellies for mr and msP.G.. :tease:

Carl Bayliss
27-09-12, 18:58 PM
What about Wales??

The danger is you may mistake him as a sheep!

Gentreau
27-09-12, 20:51 PM
Ok, here's my thoughts...

Present cup should be subject to geographical limitations: UK, Eire & Isle of Man. Not cross channel....

Just out interest Bill, why do you feel it can cross the Irish sea, but not the channel ?
The minimum crossing distances are about the same.

Bill Scott
27-09-12, 20:59 PM
I haven't got a problem with it crossing the English Channel. I simply made a suggestion of how we can go forward.

Ah weel, I've made suggestions, done the poll and tried to exert influence with certain individuals ;-) I will leave it there.

What will be, will be

Peteridms
28-11-12, 19:06 PM
Where is the cup and PG Now ? I thought it was at Hunson still ? has someone been and collected it ?

VinceG
29-11-12, 00:09 AM
You're the one with the gold cup in your awards Peteridms.

dave nixon
29-11-12, 00:52 AM
Peter said it had gone to audley end last post and nothing to say it had come back,if the pirates that took him to Audley are not forum members is that allowed ?

VinceG
29-11-12, 19:07 PM
No, it's the Microlight forum cup, meant for retrievable by members of the forum.

iPhone Tapatalk

Peteridms
29-11-12, 23:23 PM
First things first...... YES the cup and PG are warm and comfortable in the Hunsdon clubhouse. I have been there today and they are both very contented.

next: I Have been following the threads on both forums and adding my 2 penny worth every now and then, as I feel for the principle of the cup and monkey.
lets not make too many rules and let commonsence prevail on its future. I thought that the main thing was for the pair to be COLLECTED and flown to a home field, not TAKEN somewhere that may be out of reach. When it collected from Hunsdon, I will ensure that the pilot's name is also posted so that we all know who has got it and not rely on the new custonian to update the map.
KEEP it simple and the principle should work. Its not a prize to be held, but a fun challenge to our piloting and navigating skills.

If you want it, come and get it, ALL are welcome Gregg (two2fly microlights) is usally at the field an know where PG and the cup are

Pete

VinceG
09-04-13, 13:15 PM
Can I also reiterate for members of other forums. This is the microlight forum cup. It was started here by members of this forum, for members of this forum. Just because someone was upset when Ian took over, that's no reason to "steal" the cup and monkey.

Rick Moss
09-04-13, 13:36 PM
Can I also reiterate for members of other forums. This is the microlight forum cup. It was started here by members of this forum, for members of this forum. Just because someone was upset when Ian took over, that's no reason to "steal" the cup and monkey.

Is that aimed at me? If so I don't think I was exactly alone in being disappointed by the forum being sold to a tosser. Neither I nor any of the microlighters.co.uk membership have done anything untoward with either the cup or the monkey (or this forum).

I don't believe microlighters.co.uk have any active members not also involved on here, and we certainly hold no animosity towards this forum; just a different place. If we did, one of our founding members wouldn't have done all the work for you in porting this forum back to the uk from Australia when it got bailed out by the mystery benefactor.

It may be worth remembering where the cup came from? Accusations of theft seem unfounded and uncalled for to me.

MadamBreakneck
09-04-13, 13:49 PM
Cool it guys, please, or take it off list.
This is supposed to be the 'friendly place'.
Isn't it?

This diversion reminds me of a certain other CAGI cup in another place.
Joan

Sam
09-04-13, 13:53 PM
Well I haven't got it, and haven't seen it for some time.

I thought it was at Hunsdon, isnt it ??

SteveTurnbull
09-04-13, 14:39 PM
I'm with Joan on this one!

This thread started when things were suspect about our little community and may have been appropriate at the time. In my opinion the comments are history now as the forum is back to where it was before “Mad Friday” and the dust has settled, hence does not need to be brought back up.

With regard to the other forum, as Rick mentioned, it was not set up in competition, but as an alternative if things had continued the way they were going on that weekend! Having setup the forum, it was not considered necessary to delete it as it gives an alternative place for people to chat if they wish to do so. Let’s be honest, most of us are mates and a lot of people are on both forums, but this is the original and most active one. To me, I like to drink in pubs, but I do like to visit different ones, even if going with the same people!

Perhaps we could steer this thread towards the new flying season that appears to have arrived and the challenge of collecting PG and the cup and taking them on their 2013 holidays, which should involve a tour of the UK, visiting home strips of the pilots who collect them?

So, Peter, can you confirm if PG and the cup are still at Hunsdon and perhaps the challenge is on for someone to collect them in the near future and restart their travels?

Rick Moss
09-04-13, 15:15 PM
Hard to disagree with any of that steve;

What's on your mind Vince? Seems like an out-of-the-blue accusation to make. The thread was dormant for 5 months, and had nothing to do with the other forum from the start until your post.

I find it surprising that you want to walk in the raked earth that was the Ian fiasco; I thought we'd decided to forget about that?

VinceG
09-04-13, 18:29 PM
Sorry guys, I clicked "today" and for some reason, got this post up.

It said, and I didn't examine it, that pete's post was today. Hence the reply. Doh....

I will now close the thread, you other admins (including you Rick) can open it again if you see fit. :drinkingcheers: