PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Restricted Licence - How many hours to achieve ?

Positive Climb
01-01-13, 21:21 PM
Hi all - I am new to the forum. Plan to commence fixed wing training this spring and am aiming for a Restricted Licence by the end of the year. I know the stipulated minimum hours to be 15 of which 7 must be solo but as I am in my late 40s I would expect training hours to take considerably more. I know everyone's ability differs but would welcome some feedback on what realistically the training hours are likely to be?

vicky G
01-01-13, 21:34 PM
Welcome to the forum P C . it takes as long as it takes ,for your instructor to be happy with your progress and thinks you will be ready for the G S T general skills test . dont forget your written exsams . polish them off when you go solo . best wishes .

Steve.N
02-01-13, 03:47 AM
Welcome to the forum.
As we're from the same part of the country I'll assume that since there's no-one qualified in the South to provide training for a NPPL that you'll be traveling up North over the border to train for your license?
Traveling from my home in Co-Meath I was approx 1.5hrs each way to get to the training school. It would mean that my usual days training would be a FULL day (By the time I drove the 1.5hr journey and got prepared for my lesson, fly a 2hrs training session and drive home the whole day was completely gone). I'm lucky that I work shifts and therefore I could be available almost anytime for flying - but even then, getting a weather window at the same time that my instructor was available was very hard.

I started my training in the summer of 2010 and hoped to get finished the following year. But with the weather being so bad among other things I didn't get finished until July of this year. I had originally planned like you to get a restricted license but when I went solo in my own aircraft in April there was a break in the weather and I did my cross countries in one day.

My advice - start your lessons off, complete you're written exams and book at least a one week training course abroad to get you solo then come back home and finish your license.

The guideline of 1hrs training for every year of your age is very close of what to expect and budget for!!

Steve.

peterbaldwin21958
02-01-13, 09:53 AM
Im 54 and it took me a total of 36 hours over two months and that was october-november so lost some time to bad weather.
If you can commit the time I think it is better to get it all done asap as you don't lose anytime trying to recap what you did on the last lesson, (if you leave a gap in the training)

Pete

Steve.N
02-01-13, 10:16 AM
Im 54 and it took me a total of 36 hours over two months and that was october-november so lost some time to bad weather.
If you can commit the time I think it is better to get it all done asap as you don't lose anytime trying to recap what you did on the last lesson, (if you leave a gap in the training)

Pete

Wow, fair play getting through it in 2months- have never heard of anyone getting through their NPPL so quickly (not in Ireland anyway!)
A lot depends on location - whether you have a training school close-by, how available instructors are and most importantly luck!
My instructor as all flexwing guys in Ireland hold down full-time day jobs so can't possibly be available to dedicate that sort of time to one pupil - but if the poster is going to the school I think he'll go to who teaches only fixed wing then he's in luck as that's the only full time school in the country!

Dedication?? Pete, traveling around a 3.5hr journey (165mIle round trip) to scrape in a 1.5/ 2hr lesson once or twice a month to a different county is what you call dedication!! Something that all the pilots who live in southern Ireland have to do! One of my fellow pupils had to travel from Donegal (2.5hrs each way across back roads) to get to the school only to find that the weather would had changed by the time he arrived!!

VinceG
02-01-13, 19:01 PM
Welcome to the forum PC. If your budget allows I want to gain your license quickly I would say as others have, do it abroad.

Positive Climb
03-01-13, 23:02 PM
Hi there and thank you all for your responses - in particular the advice to supplement training with say 10 hours abroad. Might this present a difficulty of sorts should the fixed wing training aircraft abroad be different to the one at home?

VinceG
04-01-13, 00:36 AM
No, as long as you follow the syllabus and complete all the necessary exercises. If your instructor is not happy then he won't tick that box.

dave nixon
04-01-13, 09:09 AM
Peter is a very brave bloke thats why it did'nt take long,he was one of the cameramen that went and filmed down those gigantic holes[mile deep] in China ,watch the replay on discovery channel,

peterbaldwin21958
04-01-13, 11:50 AM
Peter is a very brave bloke thats why it did'nt take long,he was one of the cameramen that went and filmed down those gigantic holes[mile deep] in China ,watch the replay on discovery channel,

Not sure about brave could be stupid :-). I was the paramotor tandem pilot as well.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Earth's%20Giant%20Hole