PDA

View Full Version : oratex

trev
09-02-13, 21:44 PM
I've just repaired a hole in one of my flaps using Oratex UL600, this is an approved material and is easy to use, just the same process the rc modelers use, heat activated glue and shrink out any wrinkles with a heat gun....pity I can't iron out the wrinkles in my face as easily. Oratex isn't cheap but the finish doesn't need painting or doping afterwards and there is no smell to get her indoors irate.

Rick Moss
09-02-13, 21:49 PM
My escapade wings are being recovered with the same stuff as we speak; you're right about the price!

Sean McDonald
09-02-13, 22:05 PM
Its pretty light too isn't it. Used on the Escapade Kid?

trev
09-02-13, 22:06 PM
The finish is great, much better than you can get with paint.
What colour scheme are you going for? anything radical

Weight saving.....tlac claim between 10kg-15kg saving on a Sherwood Ranger by using Oratex

Sean McDonald
09-02-13, 23:13 PM
Knew I'd seen it somewhere. Looks really good stuff.

geejay
09-02-13, 23:50 PM
Thought about it for the Mistral as the original stuff (Tedlar?) is even more expensive and not now so available I'm told.

Rick Moss
10-02-13, 09:37 AM
The finish is great, much better than you can get with paint.
What colour scheme are you going for? anything radical

Weight saving.....tlac claim between 10kg-15kg saving on a Sherwood Ranger by using Oratex

I've just gone for white; the fuel tanks are being replaced, and rather than patch the wings I want to give them a good internal inspection and recover. I am not recovering the fuselage, and that's already white.

dave nixon
10-02-13, 10:26 AM
IM glad you have decided to replace the tanks Rick after watching dagerous flights and the leaking cessna tank ,so how much more expensive is covering,i find it the most enjoyable part the covering on big models.

Rick Moss
10-02-13, 11:00 AM
The covering for the wings with pinked-edge tape and glues was ~1500.

I'd guess that the stuff to do it in ceconite/polyfibre would have been half that, but then required painting and taken considerably more time and effort to apply.

dave nixon
10-02-13, 11:05 AM
Handy to know if purchacing anything requiring this sort of work.

Bill Scott
10-02-13, 11:14 AM
Good move Rick, Oratex is a superb material.
Here's a link to a chap who is building an S6, using Oratex
http://www.ransclan.com/forums/showthread.php?2786-Covering-the-S6-with-Oratex-fabric-a-new-covering-that-needs-no-paint

jjones
10-02-13, 11:19 AM
how does the permit work rick, are there other escapdes in oratex? does it have to be approved for escapade use?

Rick Moss
10-02-13, 15:27 PM
It's already approved for use on the Escapade, so it's a factory option. Signature in logbook from our friendly local inspector is all that's required.

Carl Bayliss
10-02-13, 21:25 PM
It's already approved for use on the Escapade, so it's a factory option. Signature in logbook from our friendly local inspector is all that's required.

Friendly?? :-P

dave nixon
10-02-13, 21:49 PM
Have you heard that term cross my palm with silver Rick.

Rick Moss
10-02-13, 22:07 PM
Pretty sure I've done that Dave.

Carl's doing the work.

trev
11-02-13, 17:00 PM
geejay, in the blurb that I got from the Oratex factory (Germany) they show a Mistral which has been covered using Oratex, think it on a Swiss reg, maybe wrong there but am scivin...ahmmm working at the moment and am at work not at home.

dave nixon
11-02-13, 17:19 PM
Looking forward to seeing the results on Ricks.

geejay
11-02-13, 18:03 PM
geejay, in the blurb that I got from the Oratex factory (Germany) they show a Mistral which has been covered using Oratex, think it on a Swiss reg, maybe wrong there but am scivin...ahmmm working at the moment and am at work not at home.
If you can find a link to that I'd be interested in taking a look.

graham

trev
11-02-13, 18:06 PM
Graham,
I'll send it tonight when I get home

Trev

Rick Moss
11-02-13, 18:22 PM
In for a penny and all that...

trev
11-02-13, 19:44 PM
Graham,
The Mistral in the Oratex mag has the reg SE-YMV beneath the picture it says Mistral (www.pilotmix.com (http://www.pilotmix.com) (enter mistral)) the mag also shows a Sherwood Ranger a Scirocco an Archeoteryx a CT and an AN2 all covered using Oratex in either UL600 (microlight) Oratex 3000 for Pitts and Piper cubs or Oratex 6000 for agricultural and warbirds.

see more at www.oracover.de (http://www.oracover.de)

I have always had a soft spot for the mistral, had an hour "hands on" some years back when one was based at Otherton, now there is one in the same hanger as my Shadow, owned by my friend Don Curtis (he has just bought a second Mistral found hiding at Halfpenny Green, have seen the photos and it looks the dogs danglies). They are a great microlight with perhaps an undeserved reputation which frightens off some potential pilots, but I think as long as you respect the stall they are one of the nicest planes around, full of character and a dream to fly.

best regards

Trev

trev
11-02-13, 19:56 PM
Rick, that looks like a big covering job, are you doing it yourself? having been an RC modeller in a past life (before microlighting became an obsession err I mean hobby) It is just like covering a large model, I'm sure you will be happy with the finish. The guys at TLAC gave me some tips, when covering tack each end (pulling tight then tack half way then half way again, this keeps the material from wrinkling up. tighten afterwards by playing a heat gun in a wafting motion over the surface. It works a treat and the end result becomes as taught as a drum.
good luck, show us the photos when you've finished.

Trev

Carl Bayliss
11-02-13, 20:18 PM
In for a penny and all that...

There are a couple more photos om FB Rick... I must admit, the first cut with the knife felt soooooo good :-P

jjones
11-02-13, 20:34 PM
find much wood worm in there Carl? :D