PDA

View Full Version : Permission for camera ?

Ian P
19-03-13, 23:15 PM
I have a bulletcam Hd video camera for sports etc. I want to know if I need to do a mod for it or as its taken on and off weather I can get away without dong any paperwork etc.
i intend to use it on my F2a, I am a student pilot so keen to look at my flights.

Carl Bayliss
20-03-13, 10:38 AM
If it is attached to the aircraft structure, it requires a mod.

Keveng
20-03-13, 11:06 AM
So if you choose say three locations for the camera does that require three seperate mods or can you cover them all with one mod
Keven

NigelJ
20-03-13, 11:15 AM
What counts as a mount? Would a suction cup type need a mod? Does it only apply to a mount permanently fixed to the aircraft or wouls=d something clamped to the seat frame for example also need approval? I presume that apart from affecting the structure of the aircraft it shouldn't potentially foul controls etc and needs to be secured with a safety strap so the whole lot doesn't fall off.

MadamBreakneck
20-03-13, 11:23 AM
It's under review at the moment, but this BMAA Technical Information Leaflet (TIL) give an idea of teh sort of thing you'll need to think about.
http://www.bmaa.org/files/til017_fit_a_camera_to_a_microlight.pdf

Have fun with it
Joan

Ian P
20-03-13, 14:04 PM
Great reply guys thanks.

Jon S
20-03-13, 19:09 PM
Of course if it's mounted on YOU, then no permission required.
I have a Go pro and I've used it on my helmet - It's surprising how much your head moves around though. I've also used a Go pro chest mount (like a pair of braces with a mount in the middle of your chest) which was much better, but, the viewpoint is a bit low.
I'm planning to have a go at making a shoulder mount, so that it sits clear of the side of my helmet. That might work better for you with a 'bullet cam' than with my GoPro, which sits a bit high.

Gentreau
20-03-13, 19:37 PM
That'll make it a "Parrot mount" then

MadamBreakneck
20-03-13, 19:54 PM
... It's surprising how much your head moves around though...

It's called "lookout" and is part of what keeps you alive up there. Very important, well done... do more.

:oldtimer:

Joan

jetlag
29-11-15, 20:48 PM
Cor lumey it's a tad complicated back there in good old blighty. Here in France bought camera, fitted to front down tube with nylock nuts and safety wire and off we o

jetlag
29-11-15, 20:51 PM
cor blimey tis a tad complicated back there in Blighty. Here in France I bought the camera, fastened it to the front down tube above my line of vision. Secured with nylock nuts and safety wire and off we go

Roger Mole
29-11-15, 22:42 PM
Yes, you need the geniuses in the Tech Office to tell you that you need to mount it securely so it won't drop off because you'd never think of that yourself, would you. Part of the parody which flying an ULM in the UK is all about.

Why just allow people to do the simplest of things when you can create a multi-page checklist and get them to ask you for permission.

Next - to paraphrase Wally, how to go about breaking wind on a public airfield and seeking permission with the requisite fee to do so.

dave nixon
30-11-15, 09:52 AM
On a slightly different tangent,if I clamp my I pad in cockpit it this allowed ?

goldrush
30-11-15, 10:55 AM
On a slightly different tangent,if I clamp my I pad in cockpit it this allowed ?

I suggest that "yes it is allowed". BUT............... the "clamp and it's fitment" would need to be "approved".. and if powered from the aircraft... also it's power connection...
I am not sure if such a fitment comes under the "Standard Minor mod scheme" such as do Radios etc.... or maybe it would be approved against TIL17 or similar.

Glad I went SSDR... so that I no longer have to renew my "permit to break wind".................. or worry about the number of baked beans I consume.........!!!:-)

dave nixon
30-11-15, 11:16 AM
Nice one Wally,I will use my old flexwing knee mounted I pad holder,don't have it plugged in to anything use internal batt power

goldrush
30-11-15, 13:33 PM
Nice one Wally,I will use my old flexwing knee mounted I pad holder,don't have it plugged in to anything use internal batt power

Luckily the "Powers that be" are only concerned with "fings wat r attached to airyplanes".............. but maybe it would be wise not to let the "Elf an Safe T" people know:-)