PDA

View Full Version : Quik R exhaust

prisky
14-07-13, 08:11 AM
Someone was having a look at a mate's Quik R the other day and he said someone in his club has got a Quik R and that he had a split in his exhaust and as he pointed to where it cracked he noticed this one was the same. When we took it off it was found to be hanging on by less than an inch.
PLEASE CHECK OUT YOUR QUCK R EXHAUST ON THE FRIST BEND.

Jaye
14-07-13, 08:37 AM
Someone was having a look at a mate's Quik R the other day and he said someone in his club has got a Quik R and that he had a split in his exhaust and as he pointed to where it cracked he noticed this one was the same. When we took it off it was found to be hanging on by less than an inch.
PLEASE CHECK OUT YOUR QUCK R EXHAUST ON THE FRIST BEND.
Hi Prisky,

Many many moons ago, when my interest in microlighting was evolving, I was at a farm strip "In the Midlands" where this guy flew in with his flexwing, from Devon.

His exhaust mounting bracket was in a very sorry state, so the farmer welded it for him, and off he went.

I was amazed by this.

Jaye

goflygaz
15-07-13, 05:38 AM
Can anyone be more specific where the cracks may be. are we talking about the port/starboard side, front or rear and confirm the first bend as the exhaust gas leaves the engine ?
A photo would be a great help. Will check carefully before next flight - thanks for the heads up.

prisky
15-07-13, 08:11 AM
Can anyone be more specific where the cracks may be. are we talking about the port/starboard side, front or rear and confirm the first bend as the exhaust gas leaves the engine ?
A photo would be a great help. Will check carefully before next flight - thanks for the heads up.

It was the left hand rear exhaust on the 1st bend out of the head. Because of the acute bend at that point the stainless steel becomes very thin due to the stretching of the material so I guess that is part of the problem?
The crack could be seen on the prop side and it followed around the welds of the spring hooks and then up the seam of the pipe towards the head flange. I hope yours is ok.