PDA

View Full Version : Swift or Classic

Neil W
16-08-13, 16:25 PM
Inspired by GT's post, I'm planning to build a replacement for my 912 Skyranger Classic. I don't know if I should stick with a Classic or go for a Swift.

I fly from a private strip that is east/west, 250m long with a significant slope at one end. Landing in an easterly means that there is 125m of flatish grass followed by 125m of downhill. My Classic has always got in and out ok but the hedge does get quite close in a light easterly.

I assume that if I went for the Swift any take off challenges will be deal with by the 912S but what about landing? The HADS suggest 30m longer, but is the landing roll that much longer in practice?

Thanks
Neil

AndyJ
16-08-13, 17:15 PM
Why not take a look at Medway's aircraft, there's alot of improvements built in

Neil W
16-08-13, 19:27 PM
I did look briefly at the SLA100 but I'm very happy with my Skyranger and building a plane for the first time will be a lot easier with an existing machine to refer to.

There is almost no information on the SLA100 available online. Without that, it's very hard to seriously consider it.

Neil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Katie
16-08-13, 20:10 PM
Why not build a 100hp classic and put as much distance between you and the hedge as possible?

dave nixon
16-08-13, 20:15 PM
I'm surprised I've beaten Terry swift is the way I will go.

Neil W
16-08-13, 22:32 PM
Why not build a 100hp classic and put as much distance between you and the hedge as possible?

That is certainly the safest option with the least chance of getting a face full of hawthorne, but I like the idea of a faster, smoother ride. The fact that it looks sexier and that there is scope for another 3kg of toys isn't affecting my judgement at all :cyan:

Terry Viner
16-08-13, 22:41 PM
I have no problem in my converted Classic to Swift, I can land over a 5 ft hedge and still stop in less than 200 mts, Learn to fly it and not use the glide approach, will cut down your landing distance by over a third.
mine is the avatar,

TV

Neil W
16-08-13, 23:24 PM
I have no problem in my converted Classic to Swift, I can land over a 5 ft hedge and still stop in less than 200 mts, Learn to fly it and not use the glide approach, will cut down your landing distance by over a third.
mine is the avatar,

TV

Terry, did you notice much of a difference in where you came to a halt once you had chopped the wings down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Terry Viner
17-08-13, 14:46 PM
Nothing that a good pair of brakes cannot cure.

dave nixon
17-08-13, 15:37 PM
Here is the proof that Terry can do it9893

andy dixon
18-08-13, 14:12 PM
Why not cut your classic down to a swift.....then see how you go.

Better to stuff an old plane into the hedge than a brand new one,then if it looks a bit dodgy in the classic/ swift winged skyranger,sell the thing( you will get more for it being a swift) and build yourself a classic winged skyranger.

Plan B ....pay terry his fuel to come and have a go at your strip ?

Neil W
22-08-13, 23:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, after a lot of thought I'm going with the 912S Swift. I've got at least a year to perfect the short landing while I'm building it.

dave nixon
23-08-13, 06:40 AM
Dominic came over to my airfield the other day he landed in about 175yds ,and took off in 150 downwind 8 mph tailwind,that's a swift 912s,a year to build I may beat you then.