PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor Rating

rossi
05-09-13, 21:51 PM
Hi All

I've had a few lessons in a flexwing and hope to carry on with my training ASAP. I have a question I'm hoping some of the experienced flyers can answer... This is a query only so please don't think I'm jumping the gun!

I absolutely love flying and wanted to find out what it would take to make a living/career from instructing flexwing flying? My own profession is a lecturer (i enjoy teaching others) so naturally I thought this may be something I can work towards in the distant future. Earning a high salary is not a priority for me, enjoying my job is.

I have tried to research this but seem to find many conflicting responses.

Thanks
Ross

rodeonick1985
05-09-13, 21:59 PM
Long days, no weekends and students finding new and interesting ways to kill you. (quote from one of my instructors)

Need a minimum of 100hrs experience and then i think you can folk out around 3k for an instructors course but that could wrong. I think you then have to work under a CFI for a While too.

renmure
05-09-13, 22:03 PM
I did the man-maths recently.

10 hrs instructing per week @ 110 / hr = 1100 per week.... 57k per year from instructing.
Half a dozen trial flights per month at 100ish ... so add another 7k per year giving a total of about 65k / year for a few hrs work.
If you work at the weekends I recon you could double that to at least 100k for a part time job.

Probably not enough to live comfortably on, but then it does leave a fair chunk of the week to do a proper job as well.
Don't be surprised if all the FI's and AFI's come on and say it is much less than that. They are trying to hoard all the money for themselves!!

:grin:

Paul Dewhurst
06-09-13, 00:50 AM
Lol - I wish! Its that VAT man, the landlord, fuel, plane, building, electric and telphone etc costs that mess it up!

as an employed instructor pay works out at round about 30-35 per flying hour - which is based generally on a two hour slot. If you have a good site with open aspects and more than one runway, and a good supply of students, and make your self available to fly when weather allows its possible to do around 500 hours per year, so not blinding money - but there will be lots of time when you can't fly and trick is to be productive during those periods with Groundschool. Servicing and repairs, sales etc. Its a bit total immersion to make a living from it - but has advantages over a proper job...

Paul

I did the man-maths recently.

10 hrs instructing per week @ 110 / hr = 1100 per week.... 57k per year from instructing.
Half a dozen trial flights per month at 100ish ... so add another 7k per year giving a total of about 65k / year for a few hrs work.
If you work at the weekends I recon you could double that to at least 100k for a part time job.

Probably not enough to live comfortably on, but then it does leave a fair chunk of the week to do a proper job as well.
Don't be surprised if all the FI's and AFI's come on and say it is much less than that. They are trying to hoard all the money for themselves!!

:grin:

Carl Bayliss
06-09-13, 20:23 PM
I've just nearly wet myself... I wish I earned 110 and hour :-) We can swap jobs if you want Renmure ;-)

Gentreau
06-09-13, 20:42 PM
Last edited by renmure; Yesterday at 22:04 PM. Reason: For the avoidance of doubt: I am kidding!!

Useful bit of info right at the end ....

jjones
06-09-13, 21:11 PM
don't think anyone on the forums who has done a stint of training would consider being an instructor an easy money job!

renmure
06-09-13, 21:17 PM
I've just nearly wet myself... I wish I earned 110 and hour :-) We can swap jobs if you want Renmure ;-)

Pah.. you are another of these instructor types trying to keep all the money for yourself and discouraging anyone else from taking a share. It is all obvious really. I can see through all the, "oh there is no money in this" bluff and bluster. Fortune and riches beyond imagination are the prize for anyone who is bold enough to defy the doom-mongers and step up into the golden cockpit of an AFI. Being a flying instructor seems to be the easy way to end up with a small fortune*

Not sure about the job swap idea tho. By the time you got your clearance from MI5, MI6, Special Branch and the Duke of Edinburgh you would be bored by the general banality (and pay) of being a Secret Agent and would yearn once again for the gold platted pension pot and wallet busting pay of a flying instructor. Infact... I think I am going to sign up for the AFI course fairly soon :)

woodysr2
06-09-13, 21:26 PM
I thought about the course a couple of years ago, I was going to go to Marcus and do the training in France. The 3.5k was looking like it would be a while in being recouped after training with the weather up here never mind actually making any but as renmure said the best way of making small fortune being an instructor is to start off with a large one.
Dont be put off though it is always a goal to aim for If I get some good news after this latest scan then I might think about it again (as another challenge not as a prospective carreer)

Wanafly Flyer
06-09-13, 22:05 PM
Earning a high salary is not a priority for me, enjoying my job is.

Get the course done and start enjoying your job!!!

Gentreau
07-09-13, 07:11 AM
The view out of the office window takes some beating :)

rossi
07-09-13, 09:43 AM
Woody - not sue what you meant by scan?, but hope all comes back with good news. I went through cancer two years back at age of 30 so after treatment I decided to follow my dream of flying! Gliding at present but will continue flexwing soon I hope.

woodysr2
07-09-13, 11:30 AM
Hi Rossi
I was diagnosed three years ago had the tumour removed and had radiotherapy but my one does not go away unfortunately.
that was the reason for buying the new quik and as you say it gives a whole new perspective on life and the inevitable.
I have Myloma (bone cancer) which is stable at the moment but have found a new lump so another round of cat Scans etc. coming up
I would have been sunning myself inretirement in Lanzarote but cant get medical insurance need to be clear of any treatment for 5 years apparently LOL. not going to happen when I am getting check ups every 12 weeks.

rossi
07-09-13, 14:18 PM
Hi Woody

Stay positive about your scan results (which I know is easier said that done). That's a real shame about Lanzarote but I hope you manage to take a good few holidays in between appointments etc.

I'm sure your new quik will make up in some way for less time abroad flying has always been a passion for me so now I think to myself stop thinking and just DO IT!! I can only afford to fly a few times a month but at least I will be flying some rather than none.

renmure
07-09-13, 17:32 PM
Hi Woody

Stay positive about your scan results (which I know is easier said that done).

Well said and totally agree.
Best wishes.

woodysr2
07-09-13, 17:54 PM
This may sound a bit blase after poor Nigel's passing of the same thing, but I honestly don't let it bother me as I could be run over by a bus tomorrow
I am pissed that it has stopped my early retirement in the sun but hey ho thats life.
As for the Quik it has gone to a new owner and I am now facing the challenge of learning to fly autogyro 11 hours in and loving it just wish I could get the MTO3 on Xplane 10 to work so I could do a bit of extra flying on that for the motor memory to set in as I have reverted to type(flexwing) once or twice, I think that got the instructors sphincter going LOL.
I am always positive lads and thanks for kind words and hope to see all you guys at loads of fly ins over the next few years.
cheers
William

Russ_H
07-09-13, 21:32 PM
Good on ya Woody

MadamBreakneck
15-09-13, 11:33 AM
Hi Rossi, I found that the instructor course did so much good to my flying that I ended up recommending people took it even if they didn't end up doing the test or using the rating.

Gentreau
15-09-13, 13:03 PM
Hi Rossi, I found that the instructor course did so much good to my flying that I ended up recommending people took it even if they didn't end up doing the test or using the rating.

Here, here. I thoroughly second that. The first stage of training here was hugely enlightening.
It's amazing how many things you do unconsciously when you fly. It's only when you have to explain to a total noob what to do, that you realise ....
I would also recommend the initial training to anyone who wants to improve their piloting skills.