PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Kit

Chris Kyne
21-11-13, 13:50 PM
I am curious to hear from anyone who has taken the step and gone for the GTR explorer upgrade or just test flown one. How do you like it? Have there been any negative consequences in regard to handling and cruise speed, etc? What positive features do you think it offers in way of soft field landings etc. It's quite a chunk of cash to part with..........was it worth it? I am a long way off spending anything right now but maybe one day I would like the fatty tyres...............Chris

andy dixon
21-11-13, 22:54 PM
I think the fat tyres are a must for soft winter grass landings.....if I couldn't afford it all I think just the front tyre conversion would be a good investment (Pod, folks, wheel ) for any Quik owner

willjohnh
21-11-13, 23:04 PM
Anyone got a price list?

Chris Kyne
22-11-13, 05:12 AM
Factory fitted prices are 1750.00 for front end only, wheel, tyre, tube, axle, forks and lower pod. Back end 1500 includes wheels, tyres, tubes, axles and spats. With VAT. As per listed in P&M summer news letter. Chris.

renmure
22-11-13, 12:05 PM
There is a white Quik similar to mine in the hangar at Perth but it has the Explorer kit fitted. It does look good but I am not sure it looks 3200 good. I would probably go for it as a retro-fit at half that price but would struggle to justify it at that. Maybe ordering new spec would be different but.....

vicky G
22-11-13, 13:59 PM
I am curious to hear from anyone who has taken the step and gone for the GTR explorer upgrade or just test flown one. How do you like it? Have there been any negative consequences in regard to handling and cruise speed, etc? What positive features do you think it offers in way of soft field landings etc. It's quite a chunk of cash to part with..........was it worth it? I am a long way off spending anything right now but maybe one day I would like the fatty tyres...............Chris

Hi Chris , fatty tires ,more drag, more drag, = more fuel burnt and do they fit into existing wheel spats ?.swings and roundabouts realey .But ok if it saves you from a cartwheel . why not fit a snow skis if its very boggy ?should do the same job. End up with a swamp buggy .:scratchheadblue: :mrgreen:

Wanafly Flyer
22-11-13, 17:22 PM
Jim, that would be my future father in laws!!

I agree, doesn't seem worth 3k. Plus....we've managed this far without them.....

renmure
22-11-13, 18:06 PM
Ain't it a small world James!! :)

Hope to see you (and Hazel.. poor girl!!) up at Perth sometime soon then. You can finish teaching me how to land the damn thing whilst you are here :)

(You can also help me get some bits of her dads plane and onto mine at the same time) ;)

SteveTurnbull
22-11-13, 21:57 PM
Well, I'm picking up my GTR with Explorer kit tomorrow, assuming the weather is as forecast! so should be able to give you an opinion then. I wouldn't personally spend the money to upgrade a plane, but if buying new, I would select it as an option. Then again, I haven't flown with it yet!

WobbleWing
22-11-13, 22:01 PM
Well, I'm picking up my GTR with Explorer kit tomorrow, assuming the weather is as forecast! so should be able to give you an opinion then. I wouldn't personally spend the money to upgrade a plane, but if buying new, I would select it as an option. Then again, I haven't flown with it yet!

How are you getting over? Someone flying you across?

SteveTurnbull
22-11-13, 22:42 PM
No, one of the club has a brother in cambridge and we are driving over. I should be at bourn between 12 and 1 ish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Parky
23-11-13, 08:01 AM
If the big fat tyres and suspension are beefier to cope with rough ground I would've considered it a worthy trade of against fuel burn if you end up like I did.Dropping into a field and hitting a hole in the grass didn't do my flash a lot of good in the short term. For you guys with expensive planes its a no brainer to me after my experience. Just read my accident report G-MYCS.

Parky
23-11-13, 08:10 AM
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/august_2013/gemini_flash_iia__g_mycs_.cfm

Hope this helps your decision.(if the link works)!

Steve.N
23-11-13, 10:17 AM
Post some pictures Steve!!

Enjoy your new toy - lucky bugger!!!

woodysr2
23-11-13, 15:32 PM
I thought it was 3300 plus vat and if doing the whole kit it needs to be factory fitted according to the guys at P+M as I was going to fit it to mine before I sold it.
It does make a difference to the ground handling and landings.
The difference in fuel burn i would have thought would be negligible as yes it is fatter but there is also less tyre sticking out of the spats for grass in the winter it is a no brainer also the tryke sits more planted on the wider tyre when it is parked and there is a bit of a breeze blowing

SteveTurnbull
23-11-13, 20:52 PM
Have to say, flew home in the GTR today and she cruised beautifully but was so different to the GT450 in the way the wing flies, I couldnt tell if the explorer kit makes a difference in the air.

On the ground however, it was clearly superior and I would recommend it!

WobbleWing
23-11-13, 20:55 PM
Nice to hear you got back OK.... I was talking to Brian just as you took off, then he suddenly announced that he forgot to do up the wheel nuts.

SteveTurnbull
23-11-13, 21:05 PM
Thats all right Andy, I spotted them during the pre flight whilst everyone else was drinking coffee and eating cake!

dave nixon
23-11-13, 22:11 PM
There I was beating the cr-p out of something up the airfield and hear a buzzing in the air,called Steve up and he was circling like a buzzard,looked great nice colour wing, I'm sure he will be buzzing around tomoz.

Paddy O'Rourke
23-11-13, 23:34 PM
Seeing Steve on final at broadmeadow was like watching Santa arrive in a Christmas tree - lots of coloured lights. Looks a lovely aircraft tho Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Chris Kyne
24-11-13, 08:50 AM
Congratulations Steve and Thanks for the well timed report. I look forward to seeing some photos and hearing more about how the new aircraft handles. Chris

jjones
24-11-13, 09:50 AM
was like watching Santa arrive

took a minute to work out if you were talking about the trike or the occupant! ;)

WobbleWing
24-11-13, 13:15 PM
Steve would probably make quite a good Santa!