PDA

View Full Version : conversion from PPL to Microlight

flyer2802
16-04-09, 22:15 PM
I at present have a ppl for a single engine aircraft and am interested in learning to fly microlight aircraft and if anyone knows what i have to do to convert for eg hours,test could they let me know thanks.

Title edited by admin to aid anyone looking for same answer

Ginge
17-04-09, 12:01 PM
That depends on the kind of lincence that you hold at present.

If you hold a the older CAA PPL you are already licenced to do so. However to try switching without conversion training is asking for trouble if you are thinking of flying 3 axis microlights and it would be dangerous to try flying flexwings without proper conversion.Conversion is best carried out by a microlight qualifed instuctor who will sign you off in your log book when you are ready.

As I'm sure you know that main issues with 3 axis are that the light wing loading makes the aircraft very reactive to weather conditions particularly things like wind gradiant, wind shear and thermic activity. The low wieght also gives a lack of momentum so that things can happen quickly and rudder work is more akin to a Piper Cub than a Cessna. Flexwings are a whole new ball game with a different control system.

Both are very capable machines once you get to know them, but they do have to be flown all the time, but there is a great pleasure in that you feel the machine as if it something alive in your hands.

I'm not sure with an FAA licence and I believe that with a JAR PPL if you switch control systems (ie flexwing or hybrid control) it gets more involved. If you contact Debbie at the BMAA office she will be able to advise what the requirements are.

Should you hold an NPPL SSEA there is a well laid down route here

http://www.nppl.uk.com/documents/NPPLXCREV08_000.pdf

Never straightforward is it, good luck
Ginge

I at present have a ppl for a single engine aircraft and am interested in learning to fly microlight aircraft and if anyone knows what i have to do to convert for eg hours,test could they let me know thanks

andy dixon
17-04-09, 16:52 PM
members of this forum live all over the uk....and rep of ireland.
i am sure if you give us all an idea of where you live,someone will through you in their pasenger seat,just to see if you like it. and ginger's discription about the plane comes alive in your hands is a very good one,i come from a group A background,and the phrase " it comes alive in your hands" is about the best way to discribe it.......andy
i find the big difference is how quick you go up after take off,and how steep you can come in to land(i'm in a 582 quantum flexwing at the moment)