Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: STOL or wot

Thanks

STOL or wot

Sorry I've got no video clip to show what I saw yesterday but you'll just have to believe me.

Andy M dropped into my strip with his new toy yesterday and was suitably impressed by it when it landed in in quite a short distance but the takeoff roll was very short, so much so I took my surveyors tape out to my strip and measured it at a very impressive 38.5m.

It get's even better. I can actually get in it and sit comfortably which is really good news for me as apart from Mr Viner's Skyranger and flexwings, I find it impossible these days to get in most aircraft without a lot of discomfort and assistance.

The machine in question is a Savannah Jab and I want one.

The leading edge slots may have a slightly detrimental effect on cruise speed if you are the type who likes tearing around the skies at great speed but the STOL advantages certainly outweigh the disadvantages when you consider how many more strips you can get into without worrying about their limited length.

Thanks for dropping in Andy, you made my day!
    Roger

Thanks
    Cheers Roger, nice to see you again yesterday. The Savannah is an amazing piece of kit, with a bit of practice you can get in and out of the shortest of strips. There's a couple on AFORS at the moment, see links;

http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=...d=30937&imid=0
    http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=...d=30937&imid=0

Here's a pic of Juliette Uniform parked up on your strip;

FLY-01.jpg

Cheers, will drop in again soon and take you up for a spin!

Thanks
    They’ve certainly got good STOL that's for sure.

The jab engine would be a real downer for most folks though, do they do a 912 version?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny3star View Post
    The jab engine would be a real downer for most folks though, do they do a 912 version?
    From what I know of the Jab engine it was the early versions with hydraulic valve lifters that gave problems and from my conversation with Andy yesterday when I raised that issue, he told me that the later versions including the one installed in his aircraft are push rod operated which are more reliable.

Personally I like Jab engines but then I've always liked direct drive rather than belt or mechanical drive reduction units (it's an age thing)!
    Roger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rogcal View Post
    From what I know of the Jab engine it was the early versions with hydraulic valve lifters that gave problems and from my conversation with Andy yesterday when I raised that issue, he told me that the later versions including the one installed in his aircraft are push rod operated which are more reliable.

Personally I like Jab engines but then I've always liked direct drive rather than belt or mechanical drive reduction units (it's an age thing)!
    Roger, the later engines had the hydrolic lifters - the very early engines had a whole host of issues, but once they started fitting the larger finned heads things improved considerably. Some people don't like the hydrolic lifter versions, the manually adjusted tappet version seems to be preferred even though this is an older engine. From what I can understand they are OK as long as you stick to service schedules and don't get complacent about maintanance.

Johnny3star is correct in that there are 912 engined versions, but not on the UK register (something to do with the weight). If you're feeling really brave there is also a 582 engined version (called the Savannah 'Bingo') but again I don't think there are any in the UK, so the only real choice is the Jab ...

Thanks
    Thanks Andy.

Trust me to get it **** about face i.e. thinking it was the earlier engines that had the hydraulic lifters.
    Roger

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Jab engines are nice and quiet compared to most,I like em
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Thanks
    Come across two jab powered aircraft recently - both giving the owners grief and wished they had bought a 912.

Recent conversation with a loyal 'jab owner - " No, no problems, love it been perfect, had it 5 years, never missed a beat, I did put the new larger finned barrels on it..... and I changed the lifters last year but apart from that (and a couple of grand!) its been great!".

Worry's the hell out our check pilot as it wont do the 1min climb without getting hot.

Meanwhile I clocked up double the hours on a 912 and just changed my oil every 100 hrs.

I hate the fact that there is a 912 monopoly - but as yet if you would rather fly than be constantly worried about temperatures or be tinkering then it the only way to go.
    30 miles out over water, no way id be 'jab'ing it
    Roads?...Where we're going....We Dont Need Roads!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave nixon View Post
    Jab engines are nice and quiet compared to most,I like em

actually they are noisier than a 912 - they may sound sweet and quiet on idle, but in flight the prop RPM is quite a bit higher due to the direct drive. And noise levels consequently quite a bit higher. They were the noisiest of all the Skyranger engine options when noise tested. - so noisier than 912,912S, 582.

Paul

Thanks
    The jab/rotax discussion will rage on forever no doubt.
    Carl Bayliss
    GT450