Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    possible alright Mike, Will have a look at the circuits next time as well.

Thanks
    Make sure you haven't got a break in a earth wire that you can't see caused by vibration
    Cheers Mike

In life those that know don't speak and those that speak don't know.

Keep your wheels pointing down
    For all your training needs Chattris/Boston airfield http://aaa-microlight.co.uk/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wfaec/join
    anything i post is my opinion you can either take it or leave it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goflygaz View Post
    Almost certainly the problem is just the sender needs replacing - Skydrive sell them for about 40. I have remote mounted mine with a 2 foot long hydraulic cable (made up by our local automotive brake pipe makers) this allows mounting on the trike chassis away from the vibrating engine which causes the engine mounted one to wear and give dodgy outputs. This is std practice on many GA planes with Rotax installations. No Mod required as I checked with the BMAA and engine instrumentation is not restricted, I would suggest you enter it in the log book with a "competent persons" cross signature, just to show its not going to fall off and go through the prop etc.
    Hi,
    I'm interested in your approach to remote mounting the pressure transmitter, so just wondering if you can provide any more details please so I can do it on my Quantum? I've spoken to the BMAA and they suggested a min-mod, but would like to do it quickly due to lack of inspectors locally. I've found a couple of places on the web that will supply a hose - one ready made but needs a coupler and another as self-assembly. Any thoughts about an in-line restrictor in case of a leak?
    Thanks,
    Frank.
    Comfortably Numb......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Hi,
    I'm interested in your approach to remote mounting the pressure transmitter, so just wondering if you can provide any more details please so I can do it on my Quantum? I've spoken to the BMAA and they suggested a min-mod, but would like to do it quickly due to lack of inspectors locally. I've found a couple of places on the web that will supply a hose - one ready made but needs a coupler and another as self-assembly. Any thoughts about an in-line restrictor in case of a leak?
    Thanks,
    Frank.

Just take the gauge out to a local hydraulics shop or brake hose manufacturer they will be able match the threads they are pretty std - I don't think a restrictor would help, it would give you nothing but a minutes worth of oil, better to make it robust in the first place.
    Roads?...Where we're going....We Dont Need Roads!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to goflygaz For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (07-04-19)

Thanks
    That sounds like a great idea. I presume its the sender you mean rather than the gauge?
    By the way, my original problem turned out to be a bad electrical connection around the fusebox behind the dash.

Thanks
    Sorry yes...the sender.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice.

I've spoken to Bill at P&M who sent the photo below. This shows the pipe they had made for remote mounting the sensor on a flexwing.

They don't have a great deal of info re the mod, but Bill did state that the hose used should be tested to at least twice the max working pressure of the system, so that suggests about 15 bar. Most hoses of this type should easily meet that requirement. I'm awaiting delivery of the pipe and new sensor. Bill also said a restrictor should be fitted, similar to the one used in the T-piece of a fuel pressure gauge installation. I'm going to fit a restrictor with the smallest passage possible that provides a good response time on the Flydat whilst minimising the potential flow in the event of a leak. He also said the pipe should be inspected as part of each pre-flight check. I'm also going to drill and wirelock the pipe-unions as a precaution against loosening. It will all be detailed in the minmod application.

20190408_124242_resized.jpg
    Comfortably Numb......

Thanks
    Hi, just seen and read your post Starting 2014 Is your problem now fixed by the dodgy wire at the back of the dash....was the wire on the flydat ?.
    ....and does yours have a flydat ?

Here is my problem chaps

(Warm or cold) I start my 912 and on tickover it’s 3.5 bar
    As I rev it up I get to 2,500rpm and it’s still reading 3.5bar, then the pressure goes down steadily over the next 500rpm to 2.0 bar at 3000rpm.

If I run it at 3,000rpm the pressure stays constant at 2.0 bar
    As soon as I drop the revs to tickover the pressure goes back up to 3.5 bar.

A quick heads up on your problem before I start work on my trike on Saturday would be great.
    Kind regards Andy
    Last edited by andy dixon; 15-10-19 at 22:20 PM.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Hi Andy,
    My problem turned out to be a duff pressure transmitter. It was one I got off eBay and it only lasted a couple of years. I've now got a genuine VDO replacement from Parts for Aircraft and from memory it cost about 40. I didn't remote mount it in the end as I couldn't come to an acceptable compromise between restricting the oil flow in event of a leak and a reasonable reading response time. Yes, I'm using a flydat. Just out of interest I dismantled the original faulty VDO tx and the cheap eBay copy to compare them. There was a huge difference in construction and quality. My advice is to think very carefully about the apparent "identical" parts you fit! Just for info, I transferred the brass damper-ring to the new tx and pressure readings are rock steady at all rpm.

As for the actual oil pressure reducing with increasing rpm, that seems normal and I believe is caused by the poor design of the oil pressure relief valve. There are reams of queries and comments on the Rotax forum about the problem.
    Regards,
    Frank.

Thanks
    Andy, I may have a spare vdo sender at the airfield but if not then you can take the one off my Quik to prove the unit, it's the twin wire sender type.
    G-HAMS a pretty quick Quik

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Morton For This Useful Post:

andy dixon (17-10-19)