Thanks

SHADOW AND SHADOW STREAK

Hi there. This is my first posting.

I'm a PPL A pilot and have realised (as so many of us do) that microlights are great machines that allow mere humans with ordinary sized pockets to fly.

It was the Shadow and Streak that first got me interested in flying and I'm almost ready to buy but I need info.

I'm a big bloke 17st + and I want to fly on my own and with my son - about 7st.

Will I get in it AND will it take off if I do?

I've searched for POH but unsuccessfully. I look forward to hearing from you wise ones.

Thanks

R

Thanks

Re: SHADOW AND SHADOW STREAK

I am not a Shadow pilot but one of the things that you may want to consider is cockpit width. At 17st you're a big lad and the Shadow cockpit is fairly narrow, said to be designed around the size of David Cook who designed and built them and he is a fairly small bloke.
    Also looking at the TADS on the BMAA site the seat weight limits are quite low

http://www.bmaa.org/upload/techdocs/...20and%20DD.pdf

That is not to say that a Shadow would have any trouble getting you off the ground, certainly the C, D and Streak models would have no problem, although a B series might struggle on a hot day.

I think the seat loading issue is more to do with crash loadings to comply with with BCAR section S, the design criteria that all none SSDR microlights must comply with. Having said that it may be worth contacting the LAA as while all factory built Shadows are administered by the BMAA and have to comply with the above TADS (issued by the CAA) some LAA machines, they look after all kit built Shadows, are measured by total cockpit loading rather than individual seat loadings. Worth a try anyway, if you contact their engineering department they should be able to tell you straightaway. Unfortunatly the Shadows are not amongst the TADS published by the LAA, but a phone call should sort that out

Good luck
    Ginge

Thanks

Ginge

Thanks for the details. That's really useful. When I find out the gen, I'll post it back on here.

I started my recent microlighting in a Thruster - which is fine but probably can only afford an X-Air - interesting getting in and out!!

R

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RSM53
    Much clipped

but probably can only afford an X-Air - interesting getting in and out!!

R
    It's all a question of technique really, after a bit of practice I find no problems with getting into an AX3 despite its reputation.
    Have fun and let us know how you get on

Ginge

Thanks
    I would say that at 17 stone you might be too big for a shadow - by my reckoning that would be 108kgs? Add some cozy flying gear and where does that put you?
    You would place excessive stress on the nosewheel when ground manoevring which is delicate at the best of times and getting the nose up on a take off roll on a soggy november day with 108kgs in the front seat might be a struggle. I got up tpo 100kgs and it was uncomfortable at that weight, i used to look forward to dry breezy days !
    Not saying impossible here - but you are probably making life difficult for yourself choosing a Shadow with your size & weight.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Ignoring the Section S maximum seat weight (Shadows were produced in the good ole days!! and fully agreeing with others' comments, I have just plugged your's and your son's weights into my "weight and balance" calculator (for my own C-D) and yes with full fuel load you are just within max weight limits and should fly ok... and the CofG is also within limits but
    T/Ol on Tarmac to clear (50Ft inc safety factor) 203 Metres (wet grass 233 metres)
    Landing (50Ft inc safety factor) Tarmac 283 Meters (Wet grass 354 Metres)
    But as previuosly mentioned the Shadow was not nuilt for us "Large chaps".. I am only 13 stone and find it difficult to get out... getting in is not too bad ... but then I am 73

Thanks
    I quite fancy the idea of a Shadow as a single seat machine. Chuck kit in the back and go explore
    Maybe when I'm a bit more flush and can afford to operate two aircrat.
    (Don't tell the wife)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Scott View Post
    I quite fancy the idea of a Shadow as a single seat machine. Chuck kit in the back and go explore
    Maybe when I'm a bit more flush and can afford to operate two aircrat.
    (Don't tell the wife)
    It's a pity that the Shadow couldn't be slimmed down a bit to fit into SSDR as a single seater, as I reckon it'd sell like hot cakes. The original Shadows were built to the first set of of microlight rules, with a 150kg empty weight. Anyone whose taken the wings off a Shadow knows that they are ridiculously heavy, they weigh at least half as much again as the wings for comparable sized microlights, so there is plenty of scope for weight reduction. The wing area could be cut down for a single seater, and the horizontal stab could also be reduced. Go back to the original, very light, single pultruded rod undercarriage, fit a light weight engine, preferably something four stroke, like the little V twin Solo engine (so there'd be no need for the slipper tank) and I reckon it might just scrape in as an SSDR, with what had been the rear cockpit as just a luggage hold. This would make a nice little tourer, as the Shadow has a decent cruise speed and would probably just sip fuel with a small four stroke.

Jeremy

Sheffield. Just off centre of the Universe.........about 5 trillion light years.
    Thanks
    What about a RANS S6ES 582. That will be more than adequate for a portly chap of 17stone. Dual controls to teach your lad and a wide cockpit. Cracking plane for the money. 10,000 + should get you one in top nick.
    Ade
    G----- Tonto, get the Mogas......Hi..ho Rotax away !!!!!!