Thanks

I struggle with turbulence

I have a good craft Air creation 582 with Ixess 15 trimable wing and fly in France. I have only 60 odd hours and find that I still tend to tense up in turbulence, I have flown with friends in similar craft and followed them behind and 200 ft above (approx) and whilst my beastie seems to giving me a "bronco ride" at times it seems from my perspective that the craft in front is flying smooth, but surely that's not possible ?? Last weekend after 3 hours flying my arms were truly "done in" and I felt rather happy to be back on the ground. My fellow fliers of varying experience up to 3000 hrs said the day was "not easy" but them being french and whilst I do speak French (have to to pass the exams etc) I suspect I am somehow missing some of the finer nuances of handling my craft in bouncy air

Thanks
    im 40 odd hours in now (just qualified this year) and yes i still find it not as pleasant as smooth air but am getting used to it ,my ex instructor told me it becomes second nature to just relax after a while anyway .. try a load more weight in your boss bag as i find things smooth out with a passenger somewhat ..

at the end of the day its good to fly in all sorts for when you might need that experience ..

dave
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    Get in the back of your trike with a high hours pilot in the front and go fly in some terrible winds and thermals, once you know that your trike can fly in such winds it will boost your confidence because then you will know your trike can do it without falling out of the sky.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    There's a two pronged approach to this.

First of all, look where you are flying. If you are about to fly under an active cloud, there will be a rodeo ride in the thermal that's forming it. By contrast, flying across the blue bits will give you strong sink and you will need to use more throttle, but there will be less turbulence. Avoid columns of tightly circling birds climbing like farts in a bath.

Secondly, gripping the bar tightly and holding it in the same place does not stop the aircraft banging about.

The best way to deal with rough conditions is to hold the bar lightly, let the smallest of bumps just flow through, and then to put in small control movements early, as soon as you sense the bigger bumps trying to turn you off line.

Relaxation is important as the tight grip wears you out physically and mentally, and stops you feeling the air.

Whilst higher wing loading helps you warp the wing more easily, it also gives a lower climb rate. And if you start to learn where to fly, the higher wing loading will hinder you in blagging a free ride from the thermals.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randombloke For This Useful Post:

Andymackk (06-11-15), jetlag (04-11-15)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Different trike wings react to turbulence from gentle stirring of a Blade to black and blue shoulder bashing of a quantum. The thing to remember is to let them do their own thing and your job is just to correct your heading when your not pointing in the right direction.
    If the trike wing normally flies in a straight line then just keep nudging it back into the right direction. One hand will do - remember your not trying to stop the bar from moving. You can go up and down and if the power is constant you will more than likely end up at fairly constant height.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Thorne For This Useful Post:

jetlag (04-11-15)

Thanks
    Take a look on YouTube at "ssdr photon July 2013" by Kevin Woods. It is an excellent video of how to react on a very thermic day. Most of all relax.