Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ssdr raven

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Panair,

I remember once reading about a flexwing pilot who had his wife sew epaulets on to his flying suit for a laugh. You should have seen the invective he had to put up with for it on the BMAA forum! As it is none of my leather jackets has epaulets, or I'd be putting myself in the doghouse by mentioning it.
    Is it wrong to wear Epaulettes in a C42 ?
    EGG.jpg
    Is it wrong to wear Epaulettes to a Swiss Flying Club Party?
    egg3.jpg

Thanks
    Dom, can't remember any special instructions for the oil return pipe in the inverted mounting installation?
    Bob, me too - I'm 66 and still fly both a Chaser and a Minicab light aircraft. But I don't go in for FlyUK or anything that requires me to fly the Chaser (more work than a Raven) for long periods in midday thermals... When I do, I quickly realise why calm conditions are so nice in a flexwing and I land immediately! Do keep one of your flexwings for 'proper' flying.

I also used to ride motorcycles (and even admit to Lambrettas to close friends only), and must blow the dust off my A65 sometime...

I have a keel off a Southdown Sprint, which is probably the same as the Raven. Isn't the Hybred keel a square section tube?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    Dom, can't remember any special instructions for the oil return pipe in the inverted mounting installation?
    Bob, me too - I'm 66 and still fly both a Chaser and a Minicab light aircraft. But I don't go in for FlyUK or anything that requires me to fly the Chaser (more work than a Raven) for long periods in midday thermals... When I do, I quickly realise why calm conditions are so nice in a flexwing and I land immediately! Do keep one of your flexwings for 'proper' flying.

I also used to ride motorcycles (and even admit to Lambrettas to close friends only), and must blow the dust off my A65 sometime...

I have a keel off a Southdown Sprint, which is probably the same as the Raven. Isn't the Hybred keel a square section tube?

Arielarts,

My very first bike at the age of 15 (I used to ride it round a local field) was a Triumph Terrier with a jampot backend. But then at 16 I became a mod! While I was a mod I had a Vespa GS150 mk1, then a Lambretta Li150 mk1, then a TV175 Slimstyle. During this time I also bought, but never rode a BSA A10 chair bike, and a Triumph T90 with a solid back end, both of which I sold on for a pittance. After that I converted to a BSA B33, which I wrapped around the driving wheel of a flat bed artic one day when he turned right across my path. Then I had a Bantam 175 that I did many a happy mile on. Then once more to B33's with a second member of this marque that I kept for around 5 years I think. After that I went Japanese and had a Honda 400-4, then a Suzuki GT500 2 stroke twin, then a Kawasaki DR400 twin (rubbish!). Then a Suzuki GS1000 EN (the one with the 28mm carbs!), then a Suzuki GS425 (great despatch bike!) followed by a Honda VF750 (more rubbish!), then a Suzuki GT650GT shaft drive, which I did around 100,000 miles on. Finally I had a BMW K100 shaft drive for a year or so. After that I got prostate problems and couldn't sit on a bike, so had to give up riding altogether.

As you can probably guess, the reason I went through so many bikes was because of my job as a despatch rider. I usually had two or more bikes in the shed, and the GS1000 and GS650GT I had until several years after I gave up riding, but I didn't have the money to get them up to roadworthiness, so sold them to a breakers for not a lot (I kick myself now for doing it, but at the time I needed the money).

Regarding the Hybred keel, it is indeed square section.

Best regards,

Thanks
    I am glad BobH has crossed over to the 'better' side ( otherwise known as the Dark side ) by getting himself a MiniMax.

I have known Bob for about 17yrs and in all that time I never knew his strength & stamina had lessened over that time, last year Bob took part in the FLY UK and flew his Hybrid 44XL in some very challenging conditions. ( Personally I take my hat off to him for having the enthusiasm to make such an effort in a very basic SSDR flexwing ).

Bob dropped into the strip I am based on whilst on the sector East Fortune to Strathaven (50 mile sector) with such challenging winds & a lot of turbulent activity he decided that our strip looked extremely welcoming and dropped down onto our strip having taken nearly an hour to cover 25nm.

Bob's landing was by his own admission " not his best " but considering the turbulent conditions he landed in, his 44XL arrived a few times.
    One thing I learnt that day was : " There is a lot more to Flexwing flying than I had given it credit for " I also realised that there is a lot more commitment from Flexwing flyers than there is in 3 axis microlight flyers.
    Bob was a bit tired to say the least & now having just read about his rheumatoid arthritis controlled by cortico steroids I am more in awe of him having taken on Fly UK 2016.

Bob elected to 'chill out' for a day before carrying on with Fly UK, as it was, the following day the winds favoured him going east again so Bob set off for Eshott instead of going onto Strathaven.

Bob's departure was in quite blowy conditions & from the video you can see he wasn't making much ground into wind

Thanks
    It's the wing keel that I'm looking for, round section of course

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexfordair View Post
    It's the wing keel that I'm looking for, round section of course
    Wexfordair,

Sorry, but I can't help you with a wing keel. I've only got the one. Perhaps Chris might have one in his 'container' that he'd let you have for a suitable donation of beer tokens?

Best regards,

P.S. If you've got around 26K to spare ask him about the Rumour! It looks good, and it's unique!!

Thanks
    Panair,

That was indeed a bit of an adventure trying to do the FlyUK. When I left Latch Farm I found myself with the nose of the aircraft pointing South South East, but flying due East. Very strange experience finding yourself flying virtually sideways!

I went back to East Fortune where I stayed for another day before setting off at 6am to take advantage of the lower headwind speed (5 - 10 mph) and head South. I got as far as Fishburn before my shoulders became too uncomfortable to carry on. So spent the day there resting up. I then filled up with avgas (it was all they had, no mogas!) and took off to head for Mt Airey. Unfortunately, as I passed 300ft, the engine dropped to firing on one cylinder so I had to do a very flat 180 degree turn and land back on the runway. As it is I managed to do the best greaser I've done for a very long time, but due to the slope on their runway, there wasn't enough power in the engine to taxi off the runway. In the end I had to shut it off, then get out and pull the plane manually off the runway and over to the hangars.

The 462 engine has an aluminium plate bolted on the mag end that holds the two coils and the damper box. All four corners of this plate had broken off, and the plate was floating around, held only by the wires. Unfortunately one of the earth wires snapped and killed the coil it was attached to. So that was the end of my FlyUK. I dismantled the plane and left it in one of the hangars, then caught the overnight bus from Newcastle (after I'd been given a lift to Durham and caught the train up) back to London. Then I went up to the airfield to retrieve my car and trailer. After this I drove the 250 miles up to Fishburn, loaded the plane onto the trailer, then drove the 250 miles straight back down again.

Since then I've tried replacing the coil plate on the engine, but it still only fires on one cylinder, so next up is to nick the stator plate off one of my other 462's and see if that will cure the problem.

Meanwhile, the saga of the Raven wing has been a bit depressing. When I got back from Fishburn with the aircraft, the following day I thought I'd retension the wing after I got it out of the bag, so set about doing so. However, when I bought the Raven, the small carabiner that came with it was damaged. The nut end didn't line up properly with the screwed end. Little did I know how much this would cost me!! When trying to retension the wing I felt something resisting my pull on the tensioning rope, so pulled a bit harder. Big Mistake! This caused the not quite shut two ends of the carabiner to catch in the wing fabric under the keel and tear a fairly neat rip about a foot long from the rear flying wires connector backwards. That cost me lots of money to get repaired, and then when I got the sail back I found I'd lost the two wingtip tensioners. So the sail was partly fitted but not tensionable, and I left it like that on a wing dolly in my polytunnel through the winter.

Recently I bought another couple of wingtip tensioners so thought I'd continue with the sail fitment. All went well till I turned the wing on its back when I found a large hole had been eaten in the bottom of the right wing by rodents. So off it came again, and once more off to the menders. However while taking the sail off I heard a strange sliding sound and both the original wingtip tensioners slid out of the two open ends of the cross tube. Doh!! So that's where I'd put them.

As a result I now have two sets of wingtip tensioners. Anyway, the sail has arrived back, newly mended, and I am now waiting for a suitable day of good weather, without too much wind and no rain, for me to have another go at fitting the sail (wish me luck).

After that, all being well, I should once more have a flyable Raven with either the 503 powered Hybred Raven trike or the 462 powered XL trike under it, and I will be very relieved when that finally happens.

Best regards,

Thanks
    Oh Bob. Such a tale of woe. My heart is with you. Who did the repairs, by the way, I find Nigel at Topflight to be a top man with very reasonable pricing.
    462 coil plates do fatigue.
    The stator plate may not fix your one cylinder problem. The stator ignition coil is common to both, and both sets of point must at least close for either to spark. A shorted CB or capacitor would kill one plug however.

Thanks
    Arielarts,

It was indeed Nigel who did the repairs, and I agree that he is a top man! As to the coil plate, I plan on replacing the whole unit, not just the backing plate, so the ignition coil, points, and capacitors, etc, will all be replaced, from an engine that ran on both cylinders when it last ran.