Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ssdr raven

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    Not sure why Dom thinks the 462 is not good inverted, though I admit, I've never seen one. The installation instructions cater for inverted with special arrangements re coolant bleeding. Your Raven hybrid (not Hybred) looks gorgeous and I'm surprised you are having to go to the dark side when it's so light in comparison to the competition.
    Yes, I've also found cracks in a Hybred 'duopole' during inspection. And it's a right faff dropping the engine with its stiffeners to check.
    Arielarts,

Thank you very much for the compliment about the hybrid flexwing. It flew as good as it looks, but me being a bit challenged in the height department found it a bit uncomfortable having the base bar so close to my chin. The Q trike fits the short A frame of the Raven a bit better, and the 1" difference is noticeable in the comfort department.

Regarding going to the dark side, I'm now 66 years old, and for the last 7 years I've had rheumatoid arthritis. I control it with cortico steroids that keep my joints mobile, but the steroids rob me of my strength and stamina, so after battling the thermals and generally unstable air I found myself flying in last year during FlyUK, I got exhausted and my shoulders began to give out. After I got back it took nearly 3 months for them to settle down again to the extent that I felt comfortable flying a flexwing once more, and at that point I decided it was time to admit that I'm not getting any younger, and being a macho flexwing pilot wasn't doing my health any favours. So I've bought the minimax and taken the differences training, and now I want to concentrate on getting to be competent at flying and landing a 3 axis tail dragger.

Having said all of the above, I still feel closer to the flexwing ethos than that of the epaulet wearing 3 axis brigade, having been a motorcyclist in my youth. In fact for 10 years I rode a bike for a living as a despatch rider in London. I don't think that did my body any good either, and the combination of illness and abuse has left me a little under par, so 3 axis it has to be, but I'll probably keep one of my flexies out of sentimentality, and to go for an occasional quiet potter on a balmy summer evening. Well, that's the plan anyway, whether it will work out like that I don't know, only time will tell.

Best regards,

Thanks
    Wexfordair,

Try Pete Jarvis at Sandy. He has lots of aircraft bits in his hangars, and I believe he may have a more or less complete Hybred Raven trike (minus engine) sitting in the shadows somewhere.

Best regards,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Regarding going to the dark side, I'm now 66 years old, and for the last 7 years I've had rheumatoid arthritis. I control it with cortico steroids that keep my joints mobile, but the steroids rob me of my strength and stamina, so after battling the thermals and generally unstable air I found myself flying in last year during FlyUK, I got exhausted and my shoulders began to give out. After I got back it took nearly 3 months for them to settle down again to the extent that I felt comfortable flying a flexwing once more, and at that point I decided it was time to admit that I'm not getting any younger, and being a macho flexwing pilot wasn't doing my health any favours. So I've bought the minimax and taken the differences training, and now I want to concentrate on getting to be competent at flying and landing a 3 axis tail dragger.
    Buying the MiniMax was possibly the smartest move you have ever made Everyone calls it the Dark Side, we all know it is the Right Side really

Having said all of the above, I still feel closer to the flexwing ethos than that of the epaulet wearing 3 axis brigade, having been a motorcyclist in my youth. In fact for 10 years I rode a bike for a living as a despatch rider in London. I don't think that did my body any good either, and the combination of illness and abuse has left me a little under par, so 3 axis it has to be, but I'll probably keep one of my flexies out of sentimentality, and to go for an occasional quiet potter on a balmy summer evening. Well, that's the plan anyway, whether it will work out like that I don't know, only time will tell.
    The Epaulette wearing 3 axis brigade are the folk who fly conventional aircraft, though I have seen some flexwing flyers wearing them as well.

I am sure there are some Microlighters who wear epaulettes, none will admit it though

Thanks

Raven stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Panair View Post
    Buying the MiniMax was possibly the smartest move you have ever made Everyone calls it the Dark Side, we all know it is the Right Side really

The Epaulette wearing 3 axis brigade are the folk who fly conventional aircraft, though I have seen some flexwing flyers wearing them as well.

I am sure there are some Microlighters who wear epaulettes, none will admit it though

Panair,

I remember once reading about a flexwing pilot who had his wife sew epaulets on to his flying suit for a laugh. You should have seen the invective he had to put up with for it on the BMAA forum! As it is none of my leather jackets has epaulets, or I'd be putting myself in the doghouse by mentioning it.

Thanks
    Panair,

I remember once reading about a flexwing pilot who had his wife sew epaulets on to his flying suit for a laugh. You should have seen the invective he had to put up with for it on the BMAA forum! As it is none of my leather jackets has epaulets, or I'd be putting myself in the doghouse by mentioning it.
    Is it wrong to wear Epaulettes in a C42 ?
    EGG.jpg
    Is it wrong to wear Epaulettes to a Swiss Flying Club Party?
    egg3.jpg