Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Im pk ! No im pk!! Im spartacus lol
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
    Its great being confused with the other PK... but unfortunately I am not he.
    Are you sure!

Thanks
    I agree with Martin: why risk bending a good aeroplane for want of a bit of conversion training (or protected practice, if you prefer). What's well worth while if you can is to find an instructor who knows the aircraft type you want to fly. Just being an instructor doesn't mean you can fly anything you climb into. It really does depend on what you learned on and what you've flown since. We now have a wide range of microlight types, performance and flying characteristics - we now even have compulsory differences training between flexwing and three axis types and vice versa (believe it or not, before 2008 is wasn't compulsory, just well-advised).

Like with the NPPL flight-under-instruction requirements, it's important to understand the requirements hidden behind the use of certain terms (such as "biennial flight" or "type conversion") or we run the risk of tightening regulation by tradition.

By the way, I have flown once in the back seat of a Shadow and swore never to do so again. I'm the wrong shape; how Paul Dewhurst used to do it I just can't understand

Joan

(Back from hols)

PS. I do have a few hours of Shadow front seat flying, as PUT, and I thought it a lovely aircraft.
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 07-11-15 at 13:02 PM. Reason: Clarification and typos

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

Jimbo (08-11-15)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies! I haven't flown a Shadow before (I trained on a C42) but did manage to fit in the back seat of one and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pilot advised me to get an hour's training, mainly to get used to the brakes.

Thanks
    I suggest that finding the "heel brakes" odd, depends upon just whether you have ever used heel brakes. or always toe brakes... or none......... and indeed if you have ever flown an aircraft with a castoring nose wheel!!
    For example, it is inadviseable to swing onto your lineup without a touch of opposite wheel brake to straighten up the nose wheel before blasting down the runway.

In any event they are not the most powerful in the world and thus are somewhat forgiving

Ensure that the nose wheel "preload" is neither too tight... makes steering difficult, nor too loose... induces shimmying on landing.............adjusted by simply turning the wheel assembly to tighten, or loosen "the safety dangley wire"!!!!!

I suggest the main thing to get used to is the semi reclined seating position and thus different landing perspective..... in any event it will more or less land itself... in spite of your efforts
    Raymond and Fiona are only second to Dave himself with knowledge of the Shadow....
    I love my old "tatty" Shadow.. especially soaring engine off.......... or on a calm day, trimmed out... peacefully flying hands and feet off by weight shift...... unfortunately then so easy to fall asleep

It's amazing how very large persons can fit in the back. if they really want to... good luck...
    Last edited by goldrush; 07-11-15 at 18:35 PM.
    Wally Hayward

7. The Following User Says Thank You to goldrush For This Useful Post:

Jimbo (08-11-15)

Thanks
    Well this is all very exciting stuff guys! will definitely give the shadow flight centre a call since they're not too far away. Now I can't wait to get her off the ground when the weather sorts itself out!! I will post some pics when she arrives!