Thanks

Round Britain stuff

Hi all,

I'm a Johnny Come Lately to all of this, and am still studying for my PPL, never mind getting near a microlight yet (though I can't wait til I do).

I'm really excited by the idea of the Round Britain Rally, but am I right in saying it doesn't run every year?(Indeed, that it hasn't run since 2013?)

Also, is the difference between the Round Britain Rally, and the Fly UK event the fact that the RBR is competitive whereas the other is an aimiable tootle? Are there any others I could be finding out about and getting excited about?

Cheers

Thanks
    As far as I understand it, the RBR is/was sort of officially competitive with prizes, and Fly UK is primarily a fun fund-raising event that gets unofficially competitive.

If you like that sort of thing, then you might be interested in competitive microlighting. In addition, I know of a couple of organisations within UK microlighting that go in for introducing pilots to long distance touring (search for London Airsports Centre and for Whitehill Farm Aero Club - there may be others).

If you get really keen and appropriately skilled, you may wish to try breaking a few records.

On the way there, you could go for the internationally recognised Colibri badges

In the meanwhile, welcome to our sport and good luck in those frustrating first steps of learning to fly, going solo and getting your licence. They are achievement enouigh for many of us.

Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Not quite sure i agree with the descriptions of Fly Uk as an 'aimiable tootle' or 'unofficially competitive' . It is a personal challenge which will definitely stretch your skills and experience as a pilot, while in a supportive group which looks after novice pilots. Its also very sociable and enjoyable if you don't mind camping for a week.

For those who do it it is quite simply the best flying event in the UK calendar.

Thanks
    I'll buy that, pk1, you are writing from experience but me only by unattributable reputation

I was taking a lead from reptile's apperent interest in competitive flying. I could, of course, be completely wrong.

Joan

Thanks
    Bonjour from France

Myself and a few friends (froggies) are interested in partaking in the around the UK jolly next year. Anyone got contact details info etc and if they allow foreigners or may they just shoot us down??

cheers

Phil

Thanks
    The organiser of Fly-UK is Tom Dawson. His email is tom@fly-uk.org. Web site is http://deepfreeze.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fly-uk/, although that's not updated for 2016 yet.

Dates are 17th to 26th June 2016. Anyone welcome - no snobbery here! We had some great German blokes last time - and only nearly killed one of them, and that wasn't flying related!

Thanks
    If I can get another pilot to join me I fancy having a bit of a fly about next year,in the "fly uk". for anyone interested I fly a Quik 912s explorer and will be setting off from yorkshire. I probably will not be doing it all but I could do several days
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy dixon View Post
    If I can get another pilot to join me I fancy having a bit of a fly about next year,in the "fly uk". for anyone interested I fly a Quik 912s explorer and will be setting off from yorkshire. I probably will not be doing it all but I could do several days
    Are you looking for passenger pilot or someone to fly alongside?
    "I thought you were supposed to be flying this thing, not pleasuring it."
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    A passenger who is a pilot,to come in my aircraft, I'm fine landing from the back seat if needs be, but with another pilot we can share the flying, its always nice to let go of the handlebars and let the other pilot fly for a bit of a rest.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting