Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop-Up Tents

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Pop-Up Tents

Anyone got any experience on pop-up tents?

The form factor when stowed, (approx 0.8m thin disc), looks ideal for stowing, and the speed of erecting and collapsing is attractive. However, there appear to be many rubbish ones about.

If possible, I'd like one with a lining, ground sheet and enough room for two plus some kit.

Anyone know of any good ones?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quecha from Decathlon stores are pretty good I'd say but they are all easy to set up. Getting the b@$tard thing back in the bag is a different matter....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sean McDonald For This Useful Post:

Gillian (12-05-16)

Thanks
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds...d_8300687.html

This is the one.
    Has an inner mesh tent. Sold as a two person but if you use it by yourself there is loads of room for kit.
    I was never a fan of popups until I got one of these. The two skin design makes it more like a "proper" tent.
    Excellent value in my opinion.
    Martin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a pop up from Decathalon that I put up in the garden when visiting bikers arrive. 10 seconds to erect it, and then when the bikers leave it takes me at least two weeks to pluck up the courage to go out and fold it up again!

Thanks
    Martin,
    Can you measure the diameter of the folded 'disc' of that Quecha tent please.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Riggers that is the same one as I have. Disc is 62cm diameter and its about 12-15cm deep. Or in Norfolk measurements approx 1.5 cubits x 1.5 hands

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks to one & all: I've gone for one in blue, to match the kite.

1. Sean: Thanks for the PROPER dimensions - they were the only way I could make sense of it....

2. John: at 62cm diameter, there appears good prospect it will fit above or in front of the Nynja luggage pod; (just been out & measured it).

3. Reference "Getting the b@$tard thing back in the bag is a different matter....", a MILLON years ago, stationed at the then RAF Tern Hill, I had a buddy with a very rundown one of these:

They had a HUMUNGOUS boot; he was an RAF Mountain Rescue type, and used one of the inflatable 'igloo' tents. Rather than be bothered deflating it, he used to engage it in mortal combat, to wrestle it into the Vauxhall's boot. He was tramping South down the A41 at a great rate of knots one day, when his brakes failed as he approached the Tern Hill traffic lights, at RED. Mercifully, with his horn blaring, he weaved successfully through the crossing traffic, only to collide with a post at the other side, stopping him dead. At that point, the boot flew open, the tent sprang out, and then self-erected itself in the middle of the crossing, causing general mayhem!

Coo, did we larf...!

Thanks
    One more vote for Quechua 2 seconds. If you can't fold it back getting stuck at the last fold simply reverse the direction of the last rotation as it tends to bend in the wrong direction.
    Flexwings or three axis, that is the question!

Thanks
    We have one of the "pop ups" not sure which I enjoy the most ... the ease with which one erects it ... OR ... the side ripping laughter watching my wife try to get it back in the bag .... little things truely please please little minds ..... I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it... must get it out again for her
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well, it's arrived, (only ordered yesterday). All I can say is 'perfick':

It will strap quite happily to the front of the Nynja (& Swift, I would expect), luggage pods and not interfere with machine or occupants. It MIGHT even fit above the luggage pod, perhaps slung from the fuselage bracing cables, (it's very light). I'll have to experiment, but I'm delighted with the stowage of it.

Now, I've just got to steel myself sufficiently to unpack then pack it. Think I'll wait till there's no-one around....