Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Fixed Wing Microlights

Hey All

Having flown a few types now; Jabiru, Foxbat, CT, Eurostar & soon to be the C42 what do you rate as being the best microlight?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    A flexwing.

Thanks
    haha not quite a fixed though

Thanks
    They all have their merits and everyone will be biased towards the one they fly hence their buying it LOL
    So I will kick it off the X-air hawk lovely stable platform cruise at 90mph can slow it down to 55mph doors off up to 70mph burns 10-12 litres an hour solo - dual. rotax 912 fitted looks not to everyones taste
    fly high fly safe and may you always have the wind at your back
    (except when taking off or landing according to Phil )

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
    haha not quite a fixed though
    But he did say "the best microlight".
    To be fair if you have flown all of those 3 axis machines then you must have some idea of what is the best in your opinion.
    I flew 3 axis back in the 1996 when I first got my PPL, but soon went to flex and have not looked back.

Thanks
    Bob you cant beat flexwing on a lovely summers evening but when its freezing and as rough as nuts with the x winds we get at the airfield I am glad I have a Rudder to help out LOL
    fly high fly safe and may you always have the wind at your back
    (except when taking off or landing according to Phil )

Thanks
    I have shares in a C42 and a Eurostar. The C42 syndicate flies about three times to hours of the eurostar and a few people who have changed, have gone from the Eurostar to the C42 - no one has ever gone the other way round (C42 to Eurostar). I can fly both, but C42 is my first choice as its a better experience for passengers as no wing in the way of the view and easier to get into.
    I have never had any problems landing the C42 regardless of the crosswind etc - Eurostar is less forgiving in crosswind or gusty conditions. Also at my flying club all the Eurostars have had landing accidents but none in the C42.

My conclusion the C42 is the better all round plane, and this is borne out of the experience of two syndicates running at the same club.

Thanks
    My experience is the exact opposite, the Eurostar is precise and a joy to fly with superb visibility, the C42 I like much less. This is probably because of my preference for low-wings in general. I don't like the way other aircraft in the circuit become invisible when I bank a high-wing. I find the same with 'Group A', a PA28 feels natural and a C152 feels appallingly vague. The one aspect of high-wings I like is that they feel more stable in steep turns.

Horses for courses, methinks. There is no 'best' of any type of aircraft, just the one you personally prefer.
    The best argument for the status quo is a five minute conversation with Russell Brand.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I fly flexwing now and only flexwing for the past 4 years. I started flying Microlights 11 years ago and started with 3-Axis. Trained in Truster T600N and C42. My first plane was a 582 X-Air. I then moved onto a Skyranger. I have flown C42's, X-Air's and X-Air Hawks, Land Africa's, Foxbat, AX-3's, Pathfinder and Skyrangers.
    Personally for me the Skyranger was my favourite. I owned a beautiful Skyranger for 5 years and did loads of touring in it, loads of airplane for the money, fantastic short field capabilities, affordable and easy to own. But once my kids arrived on the scene my hours logged per year took a nose dive. Did not make sence to be flying locally at 90mph or owning an expensive piece of kit which was only pulled out of a hanger once every 3 months. So I upgraded to a lovely little Pegasus XL 462, and now fly a Quantum 503.
    For me the best Fixedwing microlight or weightshift depends completely on the type of flying you do or want to do. A standard X-Air 582 would be slow and costly for long distance touring across continents, but perfect for local flights and well capable of flying around the UK and Ireland. But then again look at the Video from Brian Milton of the flight to Paris in 1992, AX3's and Thruster TST's completed that task with ease. Shadows with 2 stroke engines have flown all over the world. Likewise I dont see the point in someone buying a C42 because that's what they trained in and are only logging 10 hours a year by flying in circles around their parish. Horses for courses. The perfect Microlight will depend completely on the type of flying you do. For me at the moment the Quantum 503 is perfect. Well capable of flying around Ireland and crossing into the UK if I wished to. My flying has increased greatly this year, I have gone from 10 hours per year over the past 2-3 years up to 40 hours so far this year. Looking at getting back into some longer distance touring next year and visiting Scotland.
    So in short the best Microlight is the one which gives you the best value for money for the type of flying you do and which gives you a huge sence of satisfaction after each flight.

Damien.
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    mmm.....strangely enough, the aspect of piloting an airplane that I enjoy the most, is approach to land and landing. I've often thought to myself ....it's weird to go flying just to get to land.......but there it is.