Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Best 3 Axis for me?

Hey All

So I'm researching converting my PPL to NPPL(M) next year (just introduced myself over on Trainin forum) and one train of thought is what kind of aircraft could I potentially own in the future...

I'm really fancying the Ikarus C42 for training (because my local field has them) and they look fantastic, but if I look on the likes of AFORS, I realise I really am clueless as to the variety of aircraft available, and I only like the Ikarus by default!

So if we base the requirements (similar to Ikarus) on:

• 3 axis
    • Closed cockpit
    • Roomy (I'm not tiny)

Then I think I would be flexible on all other characteristics (such as performance). Does this make sense? Also, looking round for home build kits doesn't bring much up?

Budget wise, it's difficult, I'm not a millionaire, and given you seem to be able to get some great aircraft below 10k, I genuinely wouldn't know where to start, so let's keep it in the low range to begin with?

Cheers,
    Lee

Thanks
    I love my Skyranger Swift.

Same engine, so same level of perceived reliability. Nearly as comfortable to fly. Good examples are significantly cheaper than average or poor condition C42s.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RichJordan For This Useful Post:

leeroyster (16-11-16)

Thanks
    Thanks Rich - see what you mean about the prices. A quick search does bring up some lower cost ad's:

https://afors.com/index.php?page=adv...d=38001&imid=0

Thanks
    Hi Lee,
    I've yet to fly a plane which handles as nicely as a Eurostar, C42 included. Price, however, is high. If I were in the market for a 3 axis micro, a Skyranger Nynja would be what I would seriously investigate.
    The best argument for the status quo is a five minute conversation with Russell Brand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurG For This Useful Post:

leeroyster (16-11-16)

Thanks
    if you are looking at a Skyranger then I will have 2 for sale next year around July time, 2 Skyranger Swift 2 models are in the process of being built at present so when finished the will be tested and off to their new owners straight away afterwards.
    Terry Viner

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Viner For This Useful Post:

leeroyster (16-11-16)

Thanks
    Eurostar - yes, if I had my way I'd probably lean towards this, but given the cost, and the distance from Barton, it's a limiting factor...

Skyranger looks cool, and whilst I'm no where near a position to buy yet, I will research these models. Thank you

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Best 3 Axis Microlight? Firstly what kind of flying do you want to do? Then what is your budget? Those are the two questions to ask yourself. After that it matters not one bit so long as you are flying. Welcome to the world of Microlights. Everything which has been said is so true. I have been flying Microlights now for 11 years and have met the most wonderful people. A few years ago I used to tour quiet a bit and would fly into small strips throughout the UK and Ireland. I met fantastic people, driving me to get fuel at a local petrol station, or even leaving fuel waiting for me with a receipt on top of a Jerry can which was kept from blowing away by a rock. Trusting me to leave cash in a safe place when no one was around. I have also met great friends through Microlighting.
    As far as which plane to buy, wait until you are finished doing your conversion. You will soak up so much information at the airfield and learn loads from other club members. When the time comes you will have a better idea yourself. Personally I don't see the point in buying a C42 or Eurostar if all you are going to do is fly locally, just because that is what you trained in. You would have more fun flying locally at 50 mph than you will at 100 mph. On the other hand if you want to do long distance touring a Skyranger, Escapade, C42, Eurostar etc are perfect ships for the job. There is a lovely Murphy Rengade Spirit on AFORS at the moment which would be a fantastic plane, I would love something like that if I was going back into 3 Axis flying again. The beauty of Microlighting is that there is a very healthy second hand market with a very wide range of choice. And if in a few years time you decided you would like to try weightshift flying it is just a conversion course again with the same licence.
    I have owned an X-Air 582, a Skyranger 912s which toured along with my friends in their C42's. Family arrived, hours logged fell off a cliff and I switched over the weightshift. Bought a Pegasus XL462, and now fly a Quantum 503 and love love love weightshift flying.
    Microlights are great, small grass strip flying is great and there are planes available from 2,000 to 120,000 and more.
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to damienair For This Useful Post:

Halibut (12-12-19), leeroyster (16-11-16), Randombloke (16-11-16)

Thanks
    Damien - your post is extremely though provoking, in a positive way. You're right, it'd be daft to make such assumptions now, but it's great to get in the right frame of mind.

I guess I've grown up with ML flying kind of at the back of the queue. By that I mean I always had the desire for a full fat PPL, at a major airport (air cadet background too) with modern aircraft (having said that, a Tomahawk is hardly modern). However as I left PPL flying and went over to paramotoring, what I loved the most was the group feel, and the lack of bureaucracy, as well as the field flying and laid back atmosphere. Whilst I won't go into the downsides of PPG (for me) I am looking to keep those positive attributes, and I'm convinced ML will allow me to do that, regardless of aircraft. Contrary to my original beliefs, I've never, ever, been more convinced that ML is the way forward (but I'm not convinced on flex wing yet)

As for the aircraft, yes, one thing I haven't mentioned (that I need to get my head around) is the safety aspect. The modern, club style aircraft look "safer" (think Eurostar, Ikarus). I know that is a very naive, and noob thing to say, but they just do, so I need to understand this a lot more and what the different (and cheaper) varieties of aircraft mean in this respect to safety and reliability. Very difficult to explain in writing, more of a pub chat! The lower price range is very attractive, but what does it bring if you have something "cheap".

As for type of flying - anything goes really. I'm always happy to get up, but with the windows that are opened with ML flying, and being able to visit smaller strips, I do like the idea of being able to get out and about - visit other airfields and hence the ownership thought process is something I'm kicking off early.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Microlights as in 2 strokes (Shadow 503) have flown to Australia and a Quantum 912 flew all around the world. These are aircraft which are now available for 10,000 and under, so you don't need a fancy hot ship to do some serious touring. Brian Milton flew all around the world in 80 flying days in a 60 mph machine. Microlights are very safe, and I would much rather have an engine out in a Microlight rather than a Group A aircraft. Self ownership is great and it is a good feeling knowing that you own your own aircraft. You could also get involved with a small syndicate and share own an aircraft and its associated costs. Best of luck next year with your conversion.
    Last edited by damienair; 17-11-16 at 14:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot Damien. Excellent food for thought, and I'm thinking, the next time there's a relatively good sized fly in arranged, I'll head over. I'll be able to speak to like minded owners and get a good feel for what's out there.

It's interesting your comment about having a land out in a Group A.... This was always something at the back of my mind when flying the Tomahawks - and whilst it didn't stop me, one of the other reasons I went to PPG was the low speeds involved in landing, especially during engine out (of which I've had many).

Here's the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXj0OypEFW8