Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A6E problems

Thanks
    The crucial difference is the European version has 8.33kHz channels spacing. So it is the ONLY one to buy. Also, as Gentreau says, the 'L' version has a Li-ion rechargeable battery. If you can find the AA battery equivalent, you'll find a price comparable with the American version you link to. In the UK, it is 199GBP, currently on offer for 165GBP. The European model of FTA-550 IS approved in the UK. I would have thought that approval was good for all of Europe. We are one market, after all

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    .....The European model of FT-550 IS approved in the UK. I would have though that approval was good for all of Europe. We are one market, after all
    Nope, in order to obtain a LSA (Licence de Station Aéronef) for an installed radio, it must be on the OSAC approved list.
    The Yaesu could be carried as a pure handportable for emergency use only, but should not be connected to the aircraft power or to an external antenna and cannot form part of the official installation.

However, without an LSA, you have no radio callsign ......
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Gentreau, of course I know the realities of Europe! My tongue was firmly in my cheek. Why do you think we're opting out? Good job you have your mandatory changeover to 8.33 delayed for a few more years than in the UK...
    Best wishes,
    Dave

Thanks
    Hi Clive and a happy new year to you too. Arielarts thank you for your reply.
    I have been told it has to have the NF sticker (norm Français) to use in France and that is only issued to approved list units.
    Unfortunately/fortunately with regards to the French, they as a governing body frequently do not religiously follow the dictates of the UE depending if they like/dislike the ruling.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    "Unfortunately/fortunately with regards to the French, they as a governing body frequently do not religiously follow the dictates of the UE depending if they like/dislike the ruling." I've always admired the French for this very reason. In Britain, not only do we follow all Brussel's dictats, good or bad, religiously, we even set up special 'police forces' to make sure the rules are obeyed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    .....I have been told it has to have the NF sticker (norm Français) to use in France and that is only issued to approved list units.
    That's about it, and you can't even import a plain A6 or A24 from the UK as the FR version has an antenna band-pass filter which must be installed for it to be legal !
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    But the French list is well overdue for an update Clive, and my guess is that it will be dragged kicking and screaming out of the 1980s into the 21st century at some time soon. So, I may be wrong, but at this time I'd just wait.

Thanks
    Hi Trident, thank you for finding that little snippet of information which suggests that charging the battery and transmitting at the same time is not a Good Thing. I knew I had read about it somewhere...........

Thanks
    Does sound like audio feedback.
    If it's more of a 'howl' than a hum, and only occurs when you transmit - and is also reported by the listener.
    This is where RF from the antenna or feeder cable is picked up by the microphone, headset cable, intercom box or connecting wire.
    This is demodulated by the radio's microphone pre-amplifier and creates a feedback loop.
    If it varies as you move the headset about, or the intercom-radio wiring, that's probably the problem.
    Also occurs on some frequencies but not on others, sometimes.