Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quantum 503

Thanks
    had 503 Quantum....lovely plane....no issues in 2 yrs of ownership, sold to a fellow club mate whohas no issues with it. great 1 up 55-60 mph bit hairy 2 up while converting from a 912 ( both 100kg pilots).......look after it and they are a dream...
    better in turbs in my opinion than my 912 Blade...and flies straight !!
    tripacer 250, quantum 503, blade 912, Skyranger 912 Pilot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiinit View Post
    paul is it possible to change to a 582 on the same aircraft ? i suppose it is with a load of paperwork to the bmaa etc ?
    The 503 and 582 use the same white engine frame on the rear of a Quantum, real simple to swap over and you can re use exhaust,prop,carbs ( need re-jetting) same electrics and ignition system ( providing the 503 is a DCDI). Plus a bag of brackets from P&M

Going from 582-503 takes a day
    Going from a 503-582 takes a few days.

1 page form for your inspector to send to the BMAA so that "ginfo" can be updated.

You can put a 912 in a Quantum but it's a new engine frame,seat frames,rear suspension links .......big money required
    And don't forget the prop spins the other way,so reprofile the batterns to standard and the turn in the wing will go the other way !
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    top man andy thanks

i thought it would be a real head ache doing stuff like that .now would a 582 go on my f2a lol
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes. I know of a Microlighter who has a 582 powered F2A. He recently aquired a Blade wing and has completed all the mod paperwork with the BMAA to attach the blade wing onto his F2A Trike. He is just waiting on his inspector to check the setup and sign it off. Soon he will have a Blade 582/F2A Conversion. Pretty cost effective upgrade.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiinit View Post
    top man andy thanks

i thought it would be a real head ache doing stuff like that .now would a 582 go on my f2a lol
    The "rule of thumb" if mainair ( or Pegasus or P&M) produced one as a new aircraft, then it's quite an easier route to convert your 503 to the same.....if you were going to stick a BMW engine on one then it would be a headache to do, as every bracket would be a major mod etc.
    If you convert a F2A from 582 to 503 you can simply go along to P&M and buy all the bits you need.

Roger Patrick who until last year was the big boss at P&M,now works for the BMAA,and I must say I've asked him a million questions over the years and he's always know the answer,he's a real nice super bloke so if your thinking about doing a conversion he would, I'm sure be able to point you in the right direction.

SSDR are a different set of rules.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Be aware that a more powerful engine 503-582 will only give you a better climb but will do nothing for your cruise speed on a flexwing.

Thanks
    Cheers fellas just thinking about the time when spares dry up for the 503 really. For me im very happy with the 503 tbh . Shame they stopped doing it.
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dewhurst View Post
    If you have the 55hp582 with strangled exhaust my advice is to throw that away and treat it to the proper exhaust, release that 65hp, and running like it was designed to it then cures the mid range EGT hot spot the strangled exhaust produces!

Paul
    Hi Paul.

What is a "strangled exhaust" I'm guessing it restricts the through flow and therefore the power production .. but .. how is it strangled and is it easy to tell a strangled one from an un-strangled one (apart from the bulging eyes)
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Hi Paul.

What is a "strangled exhaust" I'm guessing it restricts the through flow and therefore the power production .. but .. how is it strangled and is it easy to tell a strangled one from an un-strangled one (apart from the bulging eyes)
    it has a 'constant chord' section just after the ball joint, rather than an expanding 'trumpet' section. Restricts exhaust gas flow and hence power, and reduces max RPM.It was marketed as a 'low noise' set up, but in reality there is very little difference and it's still much quieter than the 912.

paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vicky G View Post
    G-MZIF Quantum 503 150 hrs on it when bought , went solo in it kept it for two years Regret selling it to this day i think quantums sports are the best and most reliable british machines made to date.
    Thread resurrected again!

This was my first aircraft!, bought it new in 1997 for 11k as a Quantum Lite. Had my first solo in it and both qualifying cross countries for my licence. All the time I had it, it never missed a beat. I too regretted selling it.

Checking G-INFO it looks like it's permanently withdrawn from use now
    Last edited by P Simpson; 28-04-16 at 16:02 PM.