Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dewhurst View Post
    lots to learn 10-15 hours min to cram it all in and cover everything and have time for a little consolidation.
    You will need an hour or two just to start to get to grips with basic coordination and flying by attitude, trimming, getting used to balancing yaw from power changes etc. Slow flight and stalling is a biggy that shouldn't be scrimped on at all - and will need revisiting once or twice through the conversion. Lots to learn in the circuit - landing with different flap settings, powerered and glide approaches, different types of takeoff etc. And then there is sideslipping and cross controlling for cross wind landings. Go arounds in different configurations and trim setting need to be practiced - a lot more complex and more pitfalls than a trike. Forced landings are quite different and need some different techniques, and application of those flaps and sideslipping. Unusual attitudes will need going through carefully as well.

4 hour conversions are a joke - if you do nothing else than vanilla circuits with wind in the nose a switched on person may be able to land without crashing just - but that's not a conversion and really it's the pilot that's shortchanged as they really won't be equipped to fly properly and safely and naximise their use and enjoyment of what is normally an expensive purchase of machinery..
    Thanks for that post Paul - very reassuring. After reading these posts I very much feel like I am where I should be at this stage. I was very surprised by the 4 hours people were stating. I just didn't see how you could cover everything in that time and be safe under all conditions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I also agree with Paul,

Even once I was signed off I was very green in relation to flying a flexwing. Fine in Circuits, Cruise and Landing, but taking off was awful. Because I was not used to having Throttle on a pedal I would put too much pressure on the right pedal pushing down on the foot throttle, causing the trike to go into a slow left hand turn on the ground. As I was flying out of a tight strip with electric fencing either side of the runway to keep the cattle off, I was having to really concentrate hard. One day I pushed too hard on the foot throttle before reaching flying speed and went out through the fence catching a load of the wire up in the prop. Thankfully I was able to turn off the engine quickly and keep the Pegasus XL upright without tipping over. No damage done, but it did frighten me. Took me another 10-15 hours even after being signed off to feel comfortable with take off. Embarrased even telling that story.

Don't put yourself under any pressure, enjoy the conversion. Better safe than sorry.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    The other issue is during mental overload (gust during landing flare, for example,) is reversion to type - pull in on the bar instead of pushing out. Only hours of practice can prevent that.

Thanks
    I am not going to tell you how long my conversion took, but it seemed to go on for ever, until I eventually gave a shout out on a forum, in despair, and another instructor offered to assess my flying. He told me that numerous of his students had got their licences flying less well, so in the end I got him to give me two hours' revision and then took and passed the test.
    http://tinworm-wings.blogspot.co

I am now over on the dark side.

Thanks
    I went from 200hrs flexwing to training on a Jodel 120. 25 hours into training I still hadn't gone solo and was far from confident! Ab initio students with no previous airtime were going solo in under 20 hours on the club Cessna 150s. I was distraught, and considered giving up. Stick was fine - it was just feet of clay. Something you cannot have in a taildragger.

I'd stopped trying to do touch-and-go circuits, and used the time backtracking to re-group for the take-off. I still suffered from having to THINK which pedal to push to straighten up just prior to touchdown in the all too common crosswind approach. It does come eventually, and I never have to think when swapping between the 3-axis and flexxy now.

Finally qualified after about 50 hours...

Thanks
    Tinworm,

For the benefit of others it would be beneficial to say where you were being unduly delayed & also where you were expediously passed through.

Nobody wants to be delayed in their training or conversion so it would help to say where it was, don't mention actual school names... I would guess airfield would be as much as others would need to get a rough idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinworm View Post
    I am not going to tell you how long my conversion took, but it seemed to go on for ever, until I eventually gave a shout out on a forum, in despair, and another instructor offered to assess my flying. He told me that numerous of his students had got their licences flying less well, so in the end I got him to give me two hours' revision and then took and passed the test.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Engines View Post
    Tinworm,

For the benefit of others it would be beneficial to say where you were being unduly delayed & also where you were expediously passed through.

Nobody wants to be delayed in their training or conversion so it would help to say where it was, don't mention actual school names... I would guess airfield would be as much as others would need to get a rough idea.
    I'd be reluctant to tell you who I felt was milking it. I can't give any clues, as it is a small community and you'd work it out. What I will say is that if you feel you have made little progress, or if you feel you have progressed well, yet still feel held back, you may be with the wrong instructor and it may well be worth asking for a second opinion, as I did.

Thanks
    I totally understand...... it is a small community we move in, a nudge would maybe get said instructor thinking about his reluctance to let students progress. If it is because he/she sees customers as a Cash Cow I would like to see said person 'outed'
    If he/she isn't letting customers progress because they aren't up to standards then I can see his/her reluctance to let progression happen, it would seem that wasn't the case in your instance as another instructor whizzed you through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinworm View Post
    I'd be reluctant to tell you who I felt was milking it. I can't give any clues, as it is a small community and you'd work it out. What I will say is that if you feel you have made little progress, or if you feel you have progressed well, yet still feel held back, you may be with the wrong instructor and it may well be worth asking for a second opinion, as I did.

Thanks
    Well, I won't out him, The Engines. It will only cause bad feeling.

I do think there ought to be some incentive to get people through, though, rather than, as you suggest, an incentive to keep things ticking over until the money runs out.

Thanks
    I wasn't trying to be JUGE or JURY.

Just trying to get an insight where isn't ideal to learn

Not that I am learning..... been there, done that.