Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Thanks
    Hello,

Something I've discovered recently is that the wooden plate at the bottom of the back of the fuselage that the tail spring bolts to, is coming loose. It can't really go anywhere as it's held up by the underslung wires from the horizontal stabiliser and the fabric covering over it, but nevertheless, it moves and it shouldn't. So it looks like I'll be taking all the tail feathers off again soon, and then carefully removing the fabric and the wooden plate, then regluing it, and adding extra wood and metal beams and brackets to make sure it doesn't come loose again. Not a major job, but time consuming nevertheless, and I'll have to be careful not to add too much weight to the tail if I can help it.

Thanks
    Hello,

Not a lot to report on the Minimax. I still haven't repaired the tail wheel mounting, but I did take the plane up on my birthday back in September for a 45 min flight. As per usual the plane flew very well, and I even managed to do a passable landing. However, as I now have the Spectrum to compare the Minimax with, it became obvious that I need to reset the ailerons somehow to centre the stick, as it's still over to the left by about an inch or more.

I've now cut a hole in the fabric on the top panel behind the seat, so I now have access to the nuts on the bolts for the brackets that hold the aileron teleflex cables in place on the sides of the fuselage. This means I can now adjust the position of each bracket in order to get everything set once I've made sure to zero any differences between the teleflex cable ends, both inner and outer. While I'm about it I want to add about 3/4" reflex to both ailerons as this should help with fuel economy a little. From what I can see, all I need to do is move the brackets back a little, or turn them round, so that I can screw the teleflex outer cable adjusters up or down the threads in order to position each one correctly. Whatever I do I'll try to make sure I take some photos so that you can see what I've done, and how I've gone about doing it.

So plenty to keep me occupied during the short winter days, although at my age I must admit I don't really fancy working in a freezing cold hangar, so I may let the plane rest till the beginning of next Spring. At least now it has its own hangar to rest in, out of the weather.