Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    Is that a Flexiform wing?
    Yes, it's a solo Striker. I had to modify it to fit an extended bowsprit, to reduce the unfortunate tendency to fold up in flight, as happened to a factory prototype. But a very good wing in its day. I think it was developed from the earlier Sealander.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 884TDV View Post
    to reduce the unfortunate tendency to fold up in flight

You just have to love typical British understatement.

Thanks
    Yes, I had a Striker once. And did the mod. Like a cat's cradle puzzle when you take it out of the bag with all those wires...
    Beware, the Hurtleys' were very bad at measuring. My Striker (with apparently 25 hours logged when I acquired it) was impossible to fly. On take-off it shot its nose to the sky and required superhuman (ie, not me) effort to bring it back down safely. I moved the hangpoint forwards a bit, with no improvement. Eventually spoke to guru Dave Simpson, who just suggested keep moving it forwards. Long story short: I moved it 11"!
    After that it was lovely, and I could fly with the then current Flash1s and 2s at 50mph with no effort.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

MatM (09-06-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unwind-protect View Post
    I saw this posted on Facebook just before the weekend.

The CAA have published an exemption allowing some single seat aircraft to be operated under the footlaunch license-free category. The restrictions are: an empty weight (including fuel) of no more than 70kg (75kg with BRS); stall speed of less than 20kt and suitable insurance must be held.

My understanding was that this was brought in to remove the administrative burden to the CAA of disabled paramotor pilots who could claim an individual exemption to the rule under disability discrimination legislation - though of course this exemption applies to all pilots equally.

The exemption itself: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapp...detail&id=7884

Hi
    I've been reading this thread as I am keen to learn to learn to fly paramotors. But due to disability foot launching would be out of the question. Does anybody know if this exemption would cover a paramotor with trike if it was sub 70KG?

Thanks

Mike

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
    Hi
    I've been reading this thread as I am keen to learn to learn to fly paramotors. But due to disability foot launching would be out of the question. Does anybody know if this exemption would cover a paramotor with trike if it was sub 70KG?
    Yes it does, one mover and shaker in the sub-70 was Francis Rich, who was rendered disabled by a leg injury and fought for the exemption so he could continue to fly his paramotor.

Suggest you contact him:

White Horse Flying School
    Francis Rich
    Andover
    07500 116477
    www.challowparamotorclub.co.uk
    francis@jfdiuk.com
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Thank you Randombloke. I shall see if I can get in touch with him tomorrow. Bonus that he is in Andover I'm only down the road 😁

Thanks
    Evening everyone... sorry if this has been answered in another post, but couldn't see it in this one... so the CAA have granted a 12 month exemption to allow the sub 70kg stuff, and there are a few options out there from various manufacturers. What happens, should someone make that investment in the new category of aircraft, if the CAA decide after the 12 months that they don't want to extend it? Are they then grounded?

Thanks
    Highly unlikely. I think the on-going 12 month exemption is just a bureaucratic thing. So long as no-one screws it up royally and the Daily Mail et al decide to headline it, it will eventually become permanently ratified.
    Just to put it in perspective, the microlight SSDR, which is permanent, still has a continuing 12-month exemption on noise certificates (IIRC) - been like that for around 10 years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

D-Flyer (09-02-18)

Thanks
    And of course the option to get a microlight licence would remain open - the sub-70 machine would just revert to SSDR, but as Arielarts has pointed out, don't embarrass the CAA and the exemption will probably continue being renewed until it finds its way into an update of the ANO some time in the future.

That's how we got SSDR and before that we got the 450kg SLAs which became microlights. Microlighting as a whole started something like that, but they ended up with questions asked in the House and restrictions being inmposed that many of us complain about to this day.

Back to just bimbling

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

D-Flyer (09-02-18)