Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightweight Battery

Hi,

Met a fellow Skyranger owner last night who has more kit on his Skyranger, but it's also lighter.

Seems like a lighter battery could be an easy way of finding a kilo or two. I've currently got a Varta motorcycle battery, does anyone have the specification of the correct lightweight battery? I think it's called a Red Top?

Are there any downsides to these batteries? I only use the plane a couple of times a month, will it hold charge?

Thanks.
    Rich

G-CEIE - 2007 CTSW

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You mean Motorcycle Lithium batteries?
    I took the 3.6 kg Yuasa battery with 180 cranking amps off my Ducati SBK and fitted a Lithium battery weighing in at 620 grams with 180 cranking amps. There are many available for bikes these days and some manufacturers fit them as standard. I fitted a Magneti Marelli one that has been fine for the last 18 months.

Thanks
    Obviously not as good as a lithium battery, I have the odyssey battery 106.... a sealed lead acid battery. The manufacturer claims a life of 3-10 years. Average life seems to be 6-7 years.
    I've had one on the Quik 912s for 4 years,they don't discharge if you don't use your plane for a few months. They are a bit smaller and lighter, but no where near as light as a lithium that Bob has

The first all red battery is the odyssey the second "red top" is a lithium.

My next battery will be a lithium ( because of the weight and safety of them )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have the Odyssey PC 680 in the microlight and that is an AGM battery with loads of cranking amps. I also have in in one of my BMW bikes that needs cranking amps! They are very heavy compared to Lithium.
    Odyssey were fantastic a few years ago but these days most bike batteries are AGM and Yuasa is one of the better makes along with Odyssey.

Thanks
    Thanks for the the replies all. Lithium sounds like what I want. Current battery is 4kg, so it I can get one that weighs 620gs that'd be an excellent bit of weight saving.

Any preferred brands? Do I just need to match cranking amps?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here you go, this one is 290 CCA, more than most bike batteries. You need to choose the CCA rather than the Ah rating which is of no consequence when using is as a starting battery. A High compression V twin Ducati needs around 180 CCA to start it so even a Rotax 912s will have no problems with that and a two stroke would need much less.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XFBFD...lli%22+lithium.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob T For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (12-05-17)

Thanks
    For over a year now, I have been using German motor cycle lifepo4 battery which I obtained as bankrupt stock for 30- a bit more "powerful" (it will actually start my old McCormick diesel tractor!) and at 980gms is also heavier than needed for my 503DCDI Shadow at 350 CCA.

Couple of points.
    1. Lipos do not like being charged with lots of "ripple", so with the 503 one needs the "Key West" regulator not the Rotax original. (I believe the 912 regulator is fine)
    2. In freezing weather, it will take a couple of seconds for the battery to "wake up" and provide full cranking power... so it probably will not turn over first instance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wally Hayward

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If the BMAA is going to dictate minor stuff like which battery you can fit then they should keep that up to date. That document is nearly 18 months old - there has been a huge advance it what is available since then.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Some pictures on here of the weights of some of the batteries that I have in my garage. http://wp.me/p5xJlR-5w

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob T For This Useful Post:

andy dixon (12-05-17), Gentreau (12-05-17), jetlag (12-05-17), paultheparaglider (12-05-17), Peter Twissell (12-05-17)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good write up Bob thanks for sharing