Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    had that problem with my 503 once. The blue coil earth wire was broken but I only found it when I gave the wire a tug. I had just enough power to make it back into the circuit with the bar out to the full and just above stall. Of course, as soon as I was safe the problem went away, but when I landed I started checking all the fuel and wiring. Luckily it was the first wire I pulled (no laughing in the back!) and i re-crimped it and it flew fine since (until I stuck a DCDI on it)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbaldyman View Post
    Unlikely the engine would run on one cylinder - so both must have been working to a degree. The 'choke thing' is a very common defect that affects lots of engines but goes unnoticed (2 strokes run rich).
    Other things to check - carb rubber (if its soft it will allow the carb bowl to shake which will foam the fuel - and the engine will run down). This is especially the case if the red anti foam screen is damaged/missing/miss shaped.
    Fuel pump - if your pump is inefficient then engine 'run down' can occur (usually when high demand is required).
    Float positioning - check the level of fuel in carb bowl as per Rotax manual. 1/2 " below the top of the bowl (bowl removed - floats removed). Do both floats float at the same level?
    Dirt/**** in the inlet to the carb (very difficult to see and can only be confirmed by blowing air from the inside out catching the air and any debris in a plastic bag. (This fault is especially 'cunning' in that it doesn't happen all the time - only when the debris moves and reblocks the inlet).
    When did you last clean the air filter (25 hour)? Do a water check of the tank? Change the fuel filter (you cant see a blocked or partially blocked filter)?
    Is the fuel fresh?

I have experienced all of the above and from your description of the fault would strongly suggest its a fuel issue not ignition.
    The reason I thought it was running on one is that when it happened the rear egt gauge just dropped like a stone but the other stayed put ?

Thanks
    Thanks Wexford I'm gonna go down there and have a right good look at the wires as well as everything else that's been suggested:+)

Thanks
    ok i went down today and changed all fuel/vacuum pipes /cleaned air filter and re oiled it checked all wiring to coils etc(but not behind pull starter as i need to remove engine for that i guess) 2 brand new plugs . i ran it up and it did it again at full power so i looked at the fuel filter straight after stopping it and it was half full but it was running back out towards the pump and emptied, the float bowl was half full as well so i guess it has to be the pump .. am i right in thinking that the pump should not let fuel back through as ive always noticed the filter is full after a flight (pressurised) .. gonna order a service kit from skydrive see how i get on .. http://www.skydrive.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=ROUND
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...95313671934524
    The 2 black rubber bits are the non return valves - make sure these are in kit??

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiinit View Post
    ok i went down today and changed all fuel/vacuum pipes /cleaned air filter and re oiled it checked all wiring to coils etc(but not behind pull starter as i need to remove engine for that i guess) 2 brand new plugs . i ran it up and it did it again at full power so i looked at the fuel filter straight after stopping it and it was half full but it was running back out towards the pump and emptied, the float bowl was half full as well so i guess it has to be the pump .. am i right in thinking that the pump should not let fuel back through as ive always noticed the filter is full after a flight (pressurised) .. gonna order a service kit from skydrive see how i get on .. http://www.skydrive.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=ROUND

Thanks
    it doesnt look like they in that kit i ordered , i will just have to romove and clean them good ,hopefully just some dirt in on of them keeping it open..

bit strange if they not in my new kit really ..

Thanks
    Sorry if it's been tried already but did you use the choke to diagnose?
    You can turn on the choke when the problem happens and see the result.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wexfordair For This Useful Post:

kawasakiinit (30-05-17)

Thanks
    Yeah worth a try bud cheers .these intermittent probs do ur head in don't they.

Thanks
    Is it a twin carb 503 ?
    I don't know I think.

Thanks
    Single bud